World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-11-03 15:33:16

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Sinubi by Takahashi Yūji

Here is the pdf file of Sinubi, a commissioned work by Takahashi Yūji for jinashi shakuhachi.
I hope you enjoy playing it. IF it happens you perform it, just send me or Yūji an email to let us know when and where. It would be wonderful if it was played by more people than just Simura and myself.

Thank you to Edosan for helping out so it was possible for me to uploade it to the forum!

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8986 … hpages.pdf

Last edited by Kiku Day (2009-11-04 12:01:30)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#2 2009-11-03 16:37:08

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Sinubi by Takahashi Yūji

Thanks Kiku,

This is written specifically for 1.8 (D) jinashi? That's what the pitch indicates but what about transposing it to other lengths? Could you also post a sound file of you or Simura playing it for reference?

Very nice of you and Yuji to post this for the masses! wink

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-11-03 20:10:02

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

Thanks Kiku,

This is written specifically for 1.8 (D) jinashi? That's what the pitch indicates but what about transposing it to other lengths? Could you also post a sound file of you or Simura playing it for reference?

BR

Why transpose it? It's a solo piece. Just figure out the fingerings using a 1.8, and play it that way on any length flute. You transpose it, you'll change the fingerings, perhaps producing unintended voicings.

[that is a GREAT avatar, BTW...]

Last edited by edosan (2009-11-03 20:10:38)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2009-11-03 20:26:42

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Thanks Kiku,

BR

Why transpose it? It's a solo piece. Just figure out the fingerings using a 1.8, and play it that way on any length flute. You transpose it, you'll change the fingerings, perhaps producing unintended voicings.

[that is a GREAT avatar, BTW...]

That's what I meant. Playing it with the same fingerings on different lengths. I find it a bit strange for a piece like this to be specified as jinashi 1.8 when a lot of those fingerings and effects will probably speak better on a longer flute. But some composers are extremely pitch specific. They don't want their stuff moved into different keys. So I thought I'd ask.

I found that avatar by using the search engine. wink

#5 2009-11-03 20:31:23

Josh
PhD
Website

I'll see about getting a copy of the shakuhachi notation Shimura had, may take awhile though. He played the piece on a 2.8 made by Sogawa Kinya, beautiful sound. I don't think we need to worry about a specific length.

Last edited by Josh (2009-11-03 20:31:48)

#6 2009-11-03 21:30:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Josh wrote:

I'll see about getting a copy of the shakuhachi notation Shimura had, may take awhile though. He played the piece on a 2.8 made by Sogawa Kinya, beautiful sound. I don't think we need to worry about a specific length.

That's the beauty of shakuhachi notation. Composers don't understand that pitch notation is not ideal for shakuhachi. For solo works in particular.

#7 2009-11-04 02:17:42

Kiku Day
Website

Good morning!
The piece can be played with a jinashi shakuhachi at any length.
Takahashi Yūji told me to use the fingering needed for 1.8 (so if a D is written in the score a ro is played whether on 1.8 or any other length) as Ed and Tairaku have already suggested.

Tairaku wrote:

Yūji is really into that his pieces should be for everyone! And I think it is great if more people would play this piece.

Josh, it would be great to see Simura's score. I could also ask him for a scan next time I email him.
I premiered this piece on jinashi tuned to D January 2008. Since then I have played it on 2.2 and 2.5. I like it on longer flutes, I must admit. But that is just my own preference.

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#8 2009-11-04 04:13:57

Bruce Hunter

Thank you Kiku. Very interesting piece.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#9 2009-11-04 16:57:58

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Josh wrote:

I would love to hear that flute wink!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#10 2009-11-04 18:33:45

Kiku Day
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Could you also post a sound file of you or Simura playing it for reference?

I have a recording from the Southbank Centre concert in March, but the recording is not good enough - I feel - to put out in public. The mic was not good. But Yūji told me that the concert where Simura did the Japan premiere was recorded and scheduled to be released on CD in January. I think Simura played on a longer Kin'ya flute - 3.2 or something like that (I'm not sure). So we should at least have a good recording by then.
A little bit of information on the Japan premiere in Japanese: http://www.arttowermito.or.jp/music/mod … .php?id=32

♬♬♫♩♩♩♬♪♩

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#11 2009-11-04 19:31:03

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

I think Simura played on a longer Kin'ya flute - 3.2 or something like that (I'm not sure). So we should at least have a good recording by then.

Simura's 3.2 that I played in Sydney is by Shomei I think.

#12 2009-11-05 04:29:09

Kiku Day
Website

Ah, I think you are right, Tairaku.

I asked Yūji if he could send me a pdf of Sinubi in traditional shakuhachi notation and I got this reply:

dear kiku

i didn't make another notation for Simura nor did he.
if you want to make a score with traditional shakuhachi notation you may do it and i would post it on my website as well.
next year sometime they will make a cd of that concert when Simura played that piece.
for the moment i don't have the recordings.

yuji

Perhaps Simura made it himself....?

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#13 2009-11-05 06:01:58

purehappiness

I would love to see it in traditional notation. I am lousy at reading western notation.smile

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#14 2009-11-05 06:39:04

Glenn Swann
Website

purehappiness wrote:

I would love to see it in traditional notation. I am lousy at reading western notation.smile

although this piece is in 5-line notation, it's actually kind of an interesting hybrid notation. the "western" lines and spaces give the "pitch", but then there's little lines and arrows and meri and kari and even finger-chart graphs to show the movement, no notes to show duration even, just increments marked by time.... just go thru one time and write the ro-tsu-re-chi-ri(or the fu-ho-u-e-ya; not to discriminate against chikuho!) katakana above them. not even very many notes to figure out. it's a little confusing at 1st glance, but if you play through it  it all makes sense.

i'm lousy at western too, but there are so many cool modern pieces only in western that it's worth forcing yourself to read it. i did for myself, but still have to write in the katakana- durn lines and spaces all look alike!

this particuar piece would of course fly nicely in honkyoku-type notation though....

Last edited by Glenn Swann (2009-11-05 06:47:22)

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#15 2009-11-05 06:51:57

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Glenn Swann wrote:

this particuar piece would of course fly nicely in honkyoku-type notation though....

Volunteers?

#16 2009-11-05 09:14:54

purehappiness

Glenn Swann wrote:

purehappiness wrote:

although this piece is in 5-line notation, it's actually kind of an interesting hybrid notation. the "western" lines and spaces give the "pitch", but then there's little lines and arrows and meri and kari and even finger-chart graphs to show the movement, no notes to show duration even, just increments marked by time.... just go thru one time and write the ro-tsu-re-chi-ri(or the fu-ho-u-e-ya; not to discriminate against chikuho!) katakana above them. not even very many notes to figure out. it's a little confusing at 1st glance, but if you play through it  it all makes sense.

i'm lousy at western too, but there are so many cool modern pieces only in western that it's worth forcing yourself to read it. i did for myself, but still have to write in the katakana- durn lines and spaces all look alike!

I am going to inspect this closer.

Thanks

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#17 2009-11-05 10:22:01

Kiku Day
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Glenn Swann wrote:

Volunteers?

I think I will have a go at it myself. It would also be an interesting process for me as well. While thinking about and learning the piece I realised strength and weakness of this notation. So, it could be good to try and see how it would feel if I wrote it in shakuhachi notation. But not before next week, because tomorrow I am lecturing and I am off to Paris for the weekend! Yay! smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#18 2009-11-05 17:28:28

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

I am off to Paris for the weekend! Yay! smile

Fax the Administrators of the Shakuhachi BBQ some escargot please!

#19 2009-11-05 18:32:04

Lorka

Yeah, I would like to see it when done.  Should be nice.  Western notation just confuses me (not that shakuhachi notation does not also confuse me... just less)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#20 2009-12-23 02:45:04

Kiku Day
Website

More than a month and a half ago I promised to post a version of Sinubi, composed by Takahashi Yūji, in shakuhachi notation here on the Forum. I wrote the score quite a while ago and it was supposed to be looked through by some other players. But since time is passing I have will now post the 'raw' unaltered version.
I chose to use the Zensabō score because that is - after all - what I am most familiar with. Those of you who are interested in this score, you are of course welcome to ask questions about the notation. I might also chose to correct the notation just in case you see something that is not that clear.
If you need a pdf file of the Zensabō notation's fingering chart, let me know.

Each line has a duration of one minute. The first breath mark indicates the 40 second mark that Takahashi had written into the original score.

Have fun! smile

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5393/sinubizensaboscore.pdf

Still quite a beginner in this, but I hope this is a downloadable pdf file of Sinubi:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5393 … oscore.pdf

I just thought now that I might as well post the fingering chart as well:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6135/fingeringzensabo2009.pdf

Fingering chart as pdf:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6135/f … bo2009.pdf

Last edited by Kiku Day (2009-12-23 03:01:02)

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#21 2009-12-23 08:19:04

Glenn Swann
Website

kiku-

thanks for the score and chart. looks good!  clear and understandable.

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#22 2009-12-23 15:43:33

edosan
Edomologist

Kiku Day wrote:

More than a month and a half ago I promised to post a version of Sinubi, composed by Takahashi Yūji, in shakuhachi notation here on the Forum. I wrote the score quite a while ago and it was supposed to be looked through by some other players. But since time is passing I have will now post the 'raw' unaltered version.
I chose to use the Zensabō score because that is - after all - what I am most familiar with. Those of you who are interested in this score, you are of course welcome to ask questions about the notation. I might also chose to correct the notation just in case you see something that is not that clear.

I noticed that the margins on the Zensabo sheet for Sinubi are too small to print the page without cropping off some of the information, so I resized
the document, increasing the margins all around. Here's the link to get the PDF:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7250 … reprnt.pdf

While I was at it, I also resized the Zensabo notation chart so that it prints to two pages, in order to make a 16 x 11 sheet when assembled.
Get the JPEGs here:

Left: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9610 … tlglft.jpg

Right: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8062 … rtlgrt.jpg

All the pages print quite well, at 150ppi.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#23 2009-12-24 07:27:24

Kiku Day
Website

edosan wrote:

I noticed that the margins on the Zensabo sheet for Sinubi are too small to print the page without cropping off some of the information, so I resizedthe document, increasing the margins all around.

Thanks for this, Ed. A very valid point. I forget that the US does not use the international A4 size but letter size.
So for those in the US please use the pdf files Ed posted and for those in Europe, Japan and Oceania please use the pdf files I posted. Then we should all be ale to print the score and fingering chart out. smile

PS. I can't remember what paper size was used in Central and South America. But now you have the choices! smile

Last edited by Kiku Day (2009-12-24 07:38:22)

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#24 2009-12-24 11:11:00

edosan
Edomologist

Kiku Day wrote:

edosan wrote:

I noticed that the margins on the Zensabo sheet for Sinubi are too small to print the page without cropping off some of the information, so I resizedthe document, increasing the margins all around.

Thanks for this, Ed. A very valid point. I forget that the US does not use the international A4 size but letter size.
So for those in the US please use the pdf files Ed posted and for those in Europe, Japan and Oceania please use the pdf files I posted. Then we should all be ale to print the score and fingering chart out. smile

PS. I can't remember what paper size was used in Central and South America. But now you have the choices! smile

The The reason I resized the image of the Sinubi Zensabo notation on its page is because the written notation comes so close to the edge of
the page that cropping will occur. I don't think this is a function of A4 or US letter sized paper. Most printers won't print right to the edge of the page.

Pick one of each presented, print them, on any size paper, and I think you'll see the situation.

Last edited by edosan (2009-12-24 11:36:25)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#25 2009-12-25 01:57:01

Kiku Day
Website

edosan wrote:

The The reason I resized the image of the Sinubi Zensabo notation on its page is because the written notation comes so close to the edge of
the page that cropping will occur. I don't think this is a function of A4 or US letter sized paper. Most printers won't print right to the edge of the page.

Pick one of each presented, print them, on any size paper, and I think you'll see the situation.

Ed, when I print the pdf I posted the documents comes out just right on A4 size papers. The fingering chart was made by an Okuda student in Japan, and between Japan, Oceania and Europe there is never a problem, but I can print nothing out from the US without having to change the margins.

From Wikipedia:

About letter size:
"Letter or US Letter is the most common paper size for office use in the United States and Canada. It is 8½ by 11 inches (exactly 215.9 mm × 279.4 mm).
Ronald Reagan made this the paper size for U.S. federal forms; previously, the smaller "official" size (8 in × 10½ in or 203.2 mm × 266.7 mm) was used...
Unlike the A4 standard paper the origin of the dimensions of letter size paper are lost in tradition. The American Forest and Paper Association argues that the dimension originates from the days of manual paper making, and that the 11-inch length of the page is about a quarter of "the average maximum stretch of an experienced vatman's arms". However, this does not explain the width or aspect ratio".

About ISO 216 or A4:
"ISO 216 specifies international standard (ISO) paper sizes used in most countries in the world today. It is the standard which defines the commonly available A4 paper size. The underlying principle is that when folded in half length-wise the paper retains its original aspect ratio: (1:√2)...
The most frequently used of this series is the size A4 which is 210 × 297 mm. A4 paper is 6 mm narrower and 18 mm longer than the "Letter" paper size, commonly used in North America".

As you see 18 mm longer is quite a difference and can easily make a printer chop off margins of a document. That is anyway my experience after living in the States.
Anyway, Merry Christmas! I am sure everyone can print now and thank for you help, Ed. smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer