You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2009-11-11 17:04:52

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Functional utaguchi design?

Hi Chris,

Herr Meister is in Cairns right now so I expect him to call again today. I'll ask him. I don't think he'll have an opinion because all his flutes will have had utaguchi inlays of some kind. He's played Ken's flutes but that might be his only comparison. In fact it is a goofy comparison because very few vintage flutes have no utaguchi inlays. I have a 2.4 by one of Watazumi's students which has none but has fairly normal dimensions otherwise and I don't hear a difference between that and the ones which have inlays.

The inlays Perry puts in are very nice. And the one Ken posted is cool as well. I have seen vintage flutes with similar styles. The "Sogawa" inlay is similar to some Edo inlays. Kinko inlay indeed seems to be the most problematic in terms of stability.

Until Herr Meister Singer weighs in here's something from Riley Lee:

"I have found that inlays do very little to the texture of the sound. I've broken inlays and the flutes played no differently. I've played on flutes with the inlay totally knocked out. The sound was a little bit fuzzier; that's all."

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#27 2009-11-11 18:26:50

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Until Herr Meister Singer weighs in here's something from Riley Lee:

"I have found that inlays do very little to the texture of the sound. I've broken inlays and the flutes played no differently. I've played on flutes with the inlay totally knocked out. The sound was a little bit fuzzier; that's all."

Dr. Lee doesn't count.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#28 2009-11-11 22:18:00

edosan
Edomologist

Chris Moran wrote:

Dr. Lee doesn't count.

Dr. Lee does count. He can count to five. I've seen him do it, only using his fingers once.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#29 2009-11-11 23:09:31

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku wrote:

very few vintage flutes have no utaguchi inlays.

I believe that is because of the outstanding practicality of the utaguchi inlay. It seems that once they were invented, they must have caught on quickly because they spread all across Japan and seem to have been employed by everyone except amateur makers who didn't have the skill to make them. Generally here in Japan the shakuhachi that you do find with no utaguchi are outstandingly bad shakuhachi with an overall characteristically low level of craftsmanship. Notable exceptions to this are the shakuhachi made for Okuda Atsuya and his students, by the professional maker Murai Eigoro. Watazumi's idea was apparently "bamboo only", i.e. no utaguchi inlay, no urushi - just bamboo. I do not know Watazumi's reasons for this, but I guess it may have been either 1) philosophical or 2) so that less skill was required to make them.

Although Okuda did not study from Watazumi, he gets much of his music from listening to Watazumi's LPs. As he tries to follow Watazumi's style, he seems to also try to follow his style of instrument. This seems to be his reason for ordering no utaguchi from Murai, although some of them would still have urushi inside.

Ken the utaguchi design you show here, I have seen on older shakuhachi (as Brian said). Also the "Sogawa inlay" or "Kinya inlay" of Sogawa Kinya is more often called "Myoan", and is not uncommon on older shakuhachi.

Many of the older utaguchi inlay designs (and they varied greatly in the Edo period) covered the whole of the blowing edge. Even some Kinko designs. My guess is that they may have evolved at first as replacements for worn blowing edges. As the shakuhachi ages, the blowing edge, if only bamboo, commonly becomes less able to hold a clear edge and ends up with an uneven or rounded (or both) surface. I expect that someone back in history took the initiative of cutting out the damaged part and rebuiling the proper profile with another material. And I expect that it quickly became fashion to simply do this from the beginning, with a harder material that is less likely to wear than bamboo. Something harder and resistant to water. Commonly today that is buffalo horn.

20th century utaguchi inlays are quite standardized, with basically only 3 styles, Kinko, Tozan and Myoan. All 3 of these generally do not cover the whole blowing edge. They do however cover the important part of the blowing edge, which is the central part. And Tozan inlays cover more than most Kinko inlays.

So, this could be seen as a shift in emphasis from practicality to aesthetics. The diverse multitude of styles from the Edo period, mostly with entire or near-entire coverage of the "dip" of the blowing edge, to today's inlays with (albeit slightly) reduced coverage, and standardized design choices, which now act largely as identity symbols for school affiliation. However, while they may have evolved for practical reasons, I'm sure even in the Edo period there was an element of "cool" to them, and equally, today they still play an important functional rôle.

Ken you may be interested that you are not alone in your quest to find an utaguchi that will not cause problems of cracking right on the blowing edge. Araki Kodo III also researched into this (you are in good company!) and patented a new utaguchi design (must have been around 100 years ago) with this in mind. If you imagine, a ring of material inserted into the top of the bamboo so that there is no join at all, so the whole of the "dip" of the blowing edge is covered, as in your design, but even the back too. Like a lining for the top sun of the bore. Shakuhachi with this inlay are very rare. I have seen only 3. Very difficult to make.

Last edited by Justin (2009-11-11 23:13:14)

#30 2009-11-12 00:22:42

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Gudo Ishibashi makes some of the best jinashi flutes in Japan today and he puts utaguchi inlays in some of his short flutes (short in this case means 2.4 and shorter) and omits them on his long ones. Some of his short flutes also have no inlays.

Yamaguchi Shugetsu offers various utaguchi options (Kinko, Myoan or none) and also the option of having a raw bore with no urushi.

The "Sogawa" inlay as Perry calls it is similar to but not as wide as most Myoan utaguchi. But it is the same as some outlying Myoan inlays.

Justin wrote:

[ Araki Kodo III also researched into this (you are in good company!) and patented a new utaguchi design (must have been around 100 years ago) with this in mind. If you imagine, a ring of material inserted into the top of the bamboo so that there is no join at all, so the whole of the "dip" of the blowing edge is covered, as in your design, but even the back too. Like a lining for the top sun of the bore. Shakuhachi with this inlay are very rare. I have seen only 3. Very difficult to make.

Do you have any pics of this inlay? That would be a groove thang.

#31 2009-11-12 00:56:11

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Gudo Ishibashi makes some of the best jinashi flutes in Japan today and he puts utaguchi inlays in some of his short flutes (short in this case means 2.4 and shorter) and omits them on his long ones. Some of his short flutes also have no inlays.

Yamaguchi Shugetsu offers various utaguchi options (Kinko, Myoan or none) and also the option of having a raw bore with no urushi.

Interestingly these are all related to each other. Ishibashi (as you know Brian, but for the benefit of those who don't) studied under 2 of Watazumi's students. So his shakuhachi based on Watazumi's "hochiku" style are "only bamboo" - no inlay.

Yamaguchi Shugetsu got his ideas for jinashi from Murai Eigoro. These seem to be targeted mainly at Westerners, where there is some popularity of Okuda's style (made by Murai) and the association with Watazumi.

Tairaku wrote:

Justin wrote:

[ Araki Kodo III also researched into this (you are in good company!) and patented a new utaguchi design (must have been around 100 years ago) with this in mind. If you imagine, a ring of material inserted into the top of the bamboo so that there is no join at all, so the whole of the "dip" of the blowing edge is covered, as in your design, but even the back too. Like a lining for the top sun of the bore. Shakuhachi with this inlay are very rare. I have seen only 3. Very difficult to make.

Do you have any pics of this inlay? That would be a groove thang.

I have a shakuhachi here - it means uploading it to my site. As it happens I'm actually in the middle of making a Seien-ryu utaguchi (yet another style! that of Fudaiji) - when I get that work done I'll see if I can take the time to upload pictures of Kodo III's special style.

Last edited by Justin (2009-11-12 00:58:39)

#32 2009-11-12 02:25:06

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Justin wrote:

Watazumi's idea was apparently "bamboo only", i.e. no utaguchi inlay, no urushi - just bamboo. I do not know Watazumi's reasons for this, but I guess it may have been either 1) philosophical or 2) so that less skill was required to make them.

I have though now of another possible contributing reason for Watazumi's choice of no utaguchi insert, in addition to the two I already suggested - that involved with school affiliation. As I mentioned, during the 20th century the utaguchi insert came to serve not only a practical function, but also an identifying mark of the school to which the player of the shakuhachi belonged (so much so that today Tozan-style shakuhachi may be found with Kinko-shaped inlays, if a Kinko player orders from a Tozan maker, and visa versa).

Watazumi was either a rebel or outcast, or both, from the general shakuhachi world. Not entirely of course. But there was certainly this element. Connected to this was his choice of words - he decided to not even name his instruments "shakuhachi" or his music "honkyoku" but instead create new terms "hochiku" and "dokyoku". This may have been to deliberately distance himself from the rest of the shakuhachi community. In this light it then makes sense that he may have wondered what to do about utaguchi inserts. If he used the Kanto style, would people think of him as a Kinko-ryu player? If he used Kansai style, would people think of him as a Myoan player? So, this may have been a reason for deciding to adopt the style he did, of no insert. If this is the case, it would be a case of fashion (ryu-ha connotations being in this case unfashionable for Watazumi) triumphing over functionality. And the modern trend in insert-less utaguchi could be seen as an identity with this new fashion, originating with Watazumi.

#33 2009-11-12 02:55:52

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

For some people the world is so simple and fixed and can be explained in a sentence or two smile  Let me add a few things as the world is a very complex place:

Out of the 60 or so honkyoku Okuda Atsuya has memorised and is teaching, only 4 (according to my knowledge) have been transcribed from Watazumi LPs. That is Betsuden Shika no Tōne, Sō Shingetsu, Shingetsu Chō and Jyakunen. Most of Okuda's other pieces are the result of careful study of many old scores of different Myōan traditions. A large part of the material Okuda has based his studies on he received from Okamoto Chikugai.

Okuda's instruments were born out of a collaboration with Murai Eigorō. Murai heard Okuda on TV (This must be something like 30 years ago) and went to meet him only a few days later. Then began an intense collaboration between the two men in order 'to create a shakuhachi that suited Okuda's unique playing style' as Murai has expressed many times during our many hours of conversation. So the jinashi shakuhachi of Murai was not only a creation of him alone - but born out of collaboration. Murai also told me that he had long wanted to create jinashi shakuhachi - but needed inspiration and someone that would appreciate them. Both Okuda and Murai express that they never thought their relationship would become this intense and creative. Murai is a very fine man with a very little ego. I find this selfless way of trying to adapt his instruments to one player's style of playing interesting. He has not only supported Okuda with his shakuhachi making skills. One of Okuda's top students once destroyed all his shakuhachi in desperation over he couldn't reach his goals. Few days after Murai went to his home and gave him 3-4 shakuhachi so he could begin again. Murai has also given me quite a few shakuhachi to support my playing. He is a wonderful man.
The past 10 years Okuda has been making his own shakuhachi - a skill he has learned from Murai.

Ishibashi Gudō is a person who does not limit himself to one style. He has studied with several shakuhachi players (sorry can't remember most of them of the top of my head) including Jin Nyodo. He really has embodied many styles of playing and has had his hands on so many different instruments. Certainly a man of knowledge when it comes to shakuhachi.

Justin, I find your explanation about Yamaguchi Shūgetsu getting his jinashi ideas from Murai puzzling. The story Shūgetsu explained to me was that Riley Lee was visiting during Riley's fieldwork for his PhD. Shūgetsu had a long bamboo that he thought was not suitable for shakuhachi making when Riley suggested him to make a big shakuhachi out of that. He was sceptical but thought why not give it a try... and it worked. Shūgetsu told me that this first 'beginner's' success (his words) was highly influential in his further shakuhachi making process. He simply became a jinashi (jimori) nutcase (freely translated from a conversation). Shūgetsu met Murai and saw his shakuhachi for the first time in 2002 in New York. I was there and Shūgetsu has since confirmed this. I find Murai and Shūgetsu's jinashi shakuhachi a world apart.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#34 2009-11-12 05:24:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Shūgetsu met Murai and saw his shakuhachi for the first time in 2002 in New York. I was there and Shūgetsu has since confirmed this. I find Murai and Shūgetsu's jinashi shakuhachi a world apart.

Yeah I remember that. Truly Shugetsu and Murai jinashi are quite different. Shugetsu utaguchi angle is more horizontal which creates a louder sound. The end of his flutes are also more open than Murai's. Murai designs the flute so that the joy of playing them comes from keeping the sound inside the flute and playing with it through various breathing methods and then letting some of the sound escape out the end. Shugetsu has some of that but the end is open, so it projects more.

I don't think Okuda's flutes are similar to those of Watazumi. Watazumi's seem to have been much fatter and wider at least based on the sound of the recordings and the ones that are pictured.

The students of Okuda such as Kodama, Kiku, Al Ramos and perhaps others seem to follow with making fairly thin flutes with closed down ends.

Ishibashi studied both with Jin Nyodo and Watazumi. The flutes he calls "Jin Nyodo" flutes are a bit wide but somewhat to conventional dimensions. The flutes he says are for "Watazumido training" are much wider and deeper in tone. There is another maker I have some flutes by named Ogasawara from Hokkaido who makes a similar range of flute sizes and styles.

Ken's Taimu flutes are like Ishibashi's biggest flutes but even bigger. They are the evolutionary dead end at least insofar as flutes which can be played relatively in tune throughout 2 plus octaves.

Some of the flutes Watazumi played seem to have been bigger than Taimu but it's doubtful they played beyond re in kan.

#35 2009-11-12 08:51:08

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Kiku
I'm surprised to hear you downplaying the influence of Watazumi on Okuda. You yourself said:

according to Okuda himself, these [Watazumi and Okamoto Chikugai] are the two main influences on his playing and attitude to the shakuhachi.

Baring in mind that, that Okuda's (only?) teacher was a student of Watazumi, and the fact that the shakuhachi he ordered had no inlay and often no urushi even (Watazumi's characteristics), and the fact that he is or at least was refering to them as "hochiku", it would seem strange to think that Watazumi's hochiku ideas are not somehow connected here.

That is not to deny Murai's creativity or skill of course. In making any shakuhachi of any style, copying or adopting any characteristics of measurements or any of that, is only a tiny fraction of the work and can never by itself result in a good shakuhachi. Murai has many many years of shakuhachi making experience, and a great love of it. I think it's wonderful that he got together with Okuda. And I think Okuda is very lucky for that. The result is some great sounds! As I have said before, Murai is one of my favourite people and one of the kindest people I have met.

As for the connection to Shugetsu's style, this information came from Murai - however if this is incorrect, it must have been due to my misunderstanding.

Last edited by Justin (2009-11-12 09:22:39)

#36 2009-11-12 08:53:55

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Here's the picture you were asking for Brian. The utaguchi style patented by Araki Kodo III:
http://justinshakuhachi.googlepages.com/KodoIIIutaguchidesign.jpg

And here's the Seien-ryu (Fudaiji) utaguchi I've just finished making today:
http://justinshakuhachi.googlepages.com/Seien-ryuutaguchi.jpg

#37 2009-11-12 10:47:44

Musgo da Pedra
Website

mmm

The Seien-ryu looks like a Kinko one that I made wrong sometime ago... I was finishing it when i saw the small curve on the bottom of the utaguchi...hehehehhe

Thanks for the pics Justin.

Omnia mea mecum porto

#38 2009-11-12 14:16:11

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Justin wrote:

Here's the picture you were asking for Brian. The utaguchi style patented by Araki Kodo III:
http://justinshakuhachi.googlepages.com … design.jpg

Beautiful.

http://justinshakuhachi.googlepages.com … aguchi.jpg

Very nice. Do you think the similarity to Kinko utaguchi is because of the relationship between Kinko and Seien-ryu?

The Araki one is beautiful. I've seen that somewhere before but I can't remember if it was on a flute or just in a picture. I've never owned a flute with that utuguchi design.

#39 2009-11-12 22:09:00

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Justin wrote:

http://justinshakuhachi.googlepages.com … aguchi.jpg

Very nice. Do you think the similarity to Kinko utaguchi is because of the relationship between Kinko and Seien-ryu?

Yes I believe so. Fudaiji after all was a daughter temple of the main Fuke temple in Edo (Tokyo) Ichigetsuji, headquarters (along with Reihoji) of the Kinko style, even though geographically it is closer to the Myoan temple in Kyoto.

Last edited by Justin (2009-11-12 22:27:52)

#40 2009-11-13 02:12:22

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Justin wrote:

Hi Kiku
I'm surprised to hear you downplaying the influence of Watazumi on Okuda. You yourself said:

according to Okuda himself, these [Watazumi and Okamoto Chikugai] are the two main influences on his playing and attitude to the shakuhachi.

Justin wrote:

Although Okuda did not study from Watazumi, he gets much of his music from listening to Watazumi's LPs. As he tries to follow Watazumi's style, he seems to also try to follow his style of instrument. This seems to be his reason for ordering no utaguchi from Murai, although some of them would still have urushi inside..

Yep, I said that and I am not downplaying - but one of the two main influences is not the same as
'he gets much of his music from listening to Watazumi's LPs' +  'As he tries to follow Watazumi's style'

Perhaps not concluding so firmly what others do and let either themselves or people close to them speak would be an idea.
I can't say for sure whether it is 5 pieces and not 4 that Okuda transcribed from Watazumi LPs. I admit that. But 4-5 out of memorised 60+ honkyoku speak for themselves..... Also hints the level of Okuda's embodiment of honkyoku pieces.

Justin wrote:

Baring in mind that, that Okuda's (only?) teacher was a student of Watazumi, and the fact that the shakuhachi he ordered had no inlay and often no urushi even (Watazumi's characteristics), and the fact that he is or at least was refering to them as "hochiku", it would seem strange to think that Watazumi's hochiku ideas are not somehow connected here.

I must admit here I think there was not much of Watazumi influence if you look at what instruments Yokoyama played.
And just for your information Okuda never used the words hotchiku until so many non-Japanese came to him to learn exactly 'hotchiku'. As I have already said before, he then told me he didn't care what they were called, hotchiku, jinashi shakuhachi, shakuhachi, kyotaku as they were all referring to the same. He said that to me about 10-12 years ago. He has always called it jinashi shaukhachi unless the person he is speaking to prefers other names.
Anyhow, Okuda was hugely influenced by Watazumi - no doubt about that. But his repertoire is not only transcribed Watazumi pieces - although there is, of course, nothing wrong with transcribed Watazumi pieces.

Justin wrote:

As for the connection to Shugetsu's style, this information came from Murai - however if this is incorrect, it must have been due to my misunderstanding.

Yes it might have been so. As Brian also noted these two met in New York and had long talks about jinashi shakuhachi. So perhaps that was what Murai was trying to tell you.

However, as many of us who have lived in Japan or have a Japanese connection know, there are certain standard code of manners there. Murai is older than Shugetsu and therefore his senpai in the art of shakuhachi-making. And therefore out of respect for the older, Shugetsu might have listened to Murai's explanations about jinashi making even if he didn't feel he needed to be taught by him. Murai was very energetic and happy in New York. He is usually a fairly quiet man but he for example took the mic as the first person in the panel discussion with Shugetsu, Monty and Neptune several times. So perhaps Murai got the impression he was teaching Shugestu about jinashi making - while in fact Shugetsu was not at all impressed (that is what he told me).

This is all a guess and a story I make up to say that even though our Japanese informants say one thing firmly - it does not mean it is the ultimate truth for everyone. We all know how the world looks different from different angles. Thus one informant's belief is not always enough and shouldn't really be quoted as the ultimate truth. wink

Tairaku wrote:

If we get together we will probably have many drinks. But Kiku will probably drink both of us under the table.

How on earth did I get such a reputation??? Never mind, I am SURE I will drink both Kees and Tairaku under the table! lol

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#41 2009-11-13 08:21:47

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

I can't say for sure whether it is 5 pieces and not 4 that Okuda transcribed from Watazumi LPs.

Hi Kiku
So long as you're counting, you aught to check out Shin Kyorei too. And if Okuda got Tamuke from somewhere other than Yokoyama or Watazumi's LPs, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Kiku Day wrote:

Thus one informant's belief is not always enough and shouldn't really be quoted as the ultimate truth.

Wow. Now if we need more than one "informant" as a source before chatting about anything on a BBQ forum without having to say "this isn't necessarily the ultimate truth" every sentence, things are going to get a little tedious. On the other hand we could just chat in a friendly normal fashion, and offer opposing suggestions, ideas and information in a kindly way if there's something we don't agree with. How about that?

smile

#42 2009-11-13 10:35:54

Lorka

All art is influenced by other art.  This is a given.  Based on my admittedly limited knowledge, Okuda sounds quite different to me than Watazumi.  I can see where people would say they are similar, and appreciate the power of influences, but I think Okuda is his own unique self. 

As for my own tastes, I think Okuda has a more expressive voice.  His sound incorporates a profound sense of fragility and strength in a way that is free of ego, i.e. not showing off or being flashy.  That's just one opinion though.

Hey Kiku,

Nex time you talk to Okuda, you should implore him to make a high quality copy of ALL of his 60 honkyoku and to write out the notation.  This would be of great historical importance and would help preserve what he has started.  Of course, his work survives through tramission to his students, but this would be another way of preserving his work.   Even if he never made these recordings available they would still be worth doing.  Just an idea.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#43 2009-11-13 13:46:53

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Justin wrote:

... Also the "Sogawa inlay" or "Kinya inlay" of Sogawa Kinya is more often called "Myoan", and is not uncommon on older shakuhachi.

Hi Justin,

Perhaps I can offer my perspective on this since I studied under Kinya.
For those who may not know what the Kinya inlay is. Here's a shot from his website:
http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/kinyauta.jpg
Here's my 1.8 made with Kinya in 2003. I believe these two shapes are nearly identical. All of the Kinya's inlays look exactly like this.
http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/perryuta.jpg

Here are two recent repairs I worked on with missing Myoan inlays. The inlays were carved to fit the cavity left by the missing inlays.
http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/mattmyoanuta2.jpg
http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/myoanutarep.jpg

These two are representative of the typical Myoan inlays I have come across. They are usually visually thicker from top to bottom. Kinya's design is thinner. I can see how the two can be mistaken.

The thing that was made very clear to me when I was studying shakuhachi in Japan was that everything shakuhachi related was about subtleties. One can see this played out in the different style of Kinko music. The non indoctrinated may not be able to hear the differences between the various Ryu.

Kinya is well established in the shakuhachi community and has an understanding of the subtle working ways of the shakuhachi world. Everyone, or most players, knows what a Myoan inlay looks like. My take on this is that Kinya designed his utaguchi to honor the Myoan music. Some may not see the difference but other more informed players can. This is something connoisseurs like to chew the fat on. It's sort of how the Kinko design and the Seien inlay you just made can look similar, to the point where even a shakuhachi making brother in Brazil commented on it as a Kinko inlay gone awry smile

Lorka wrote:

All art is influenced by other art.  This is a given. ...

Hi Lorka, I would agree that most practicing artists are influenced by art and life, but there is growing body of work known as Outsider art. This work is made by people from all walks of life, all over the globe, who organize materials to understand their world. They do not consider themselves artists.

Be well, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#44 2009-11-13 18:36:56

Lorka

Hey Perry,

That is an interesting point.  I would say the best artists are those who detest the lable of artist, and all the pretension that comes with that label.  Still, my point was just that we are influenced, and if we are good, we in turn influence others.  This is our connection to the past and our offering to the future.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#45 2009-11-13 21:24:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

These two are representative of the typical Myoan inlays I have come across. They are usually visually thicker from top to bottom. Kinya's design is thinner. I can see how the two can be mistaken.

Does this thinner profile make it more, less or the same in terms of stability?

#46 2009-11-13 22:52:16

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Here are two recent repairs I worked on with missing Myoan inlays. The inlays were carved to fit the cavity left by the missing inlays.
http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/mattmyoanuta2.jpg http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/myoanutarep.jpg

The thing that was made very clear to me when I was studying shakuhachi in Japan was that everything shakuhachi related was about subtleties. One can see this played out in the different style of Kinko music. The non indoctrinated may not be able to hear the differences between the various Ryu.

Kinya is well established in the shakuhachi community and has an understanding of the subtle working ways of the shakuhachi world. Everyone, or most players, knows what a Myoan inlay looks like. My take on this is that Kinya designed his utaguchi to honor the Myoan music. Some may not see the difference but other more informed players can.

Hi Perry
Indeed the Myoan utaguchi inlays you show here are thicker than the Kinya inlay. But bare in mind that Kinko inlays also vary in thickness, and angle, but are all recognised as Kinko inlays. You notice yourself that the 2 inlays you have put pictures up for to represent Myoan inlays, are thinner than the ones you usually see. But, you still recognise them as Myoan style. This illustrates the variation. Here are a couple more for you which are thinner still, indeed thinner that Sogawa's:
http://justinshakuhachi.googlepages.com/Myoan2.jpg
http://justinshakuhachi.googlepages.com/Myoan1.jpg

As I said, there used to be a lot of variation within the schools. Nowadays they are more standardised, so that the Kinko inlays are more similar to each other than they were in the 19th century for example, though, there is still variation in angle, thickness and so on. Same goes for the other schools as far as I've seen. From the more modern Myoan utaguchi inlays I've seen, I would agree with you that they are usually thicker than Sogawa's. I think Sogawa's looks nicer.

Perhaps nowadays people have forgotten the older styles or just never had the chance to see them. If he told a modern Myoan player this is a Myoan inlay, they might think he had made a mistake! I made an older style Kinko inlay and had the instrument at a komuso meeting once and someone thought I had made a mistake actually, until Shimura Zenpo (old-shakuhachi expert) pointed out to him that it was indeed an authentic old style of Kinko utaguchi.

#47 2009-11-13 23:09:30

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Calling X. Moran! What kind of utaguchi inlay does Knob-U-ryu™ have? Could you please post an example?

#48 2009-11-13 23:35:09

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Justin, remember this flute which I got from Peter Hill and that you worked on. What do you make of the utaguchi on this one?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/Meiji18lowdef.jpg

#49 2009-11-14 00:05:33

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Brian
I would say from Kanto (the wider area centred around present day Tokyo). Not sure exactly where within that region. Seems to be from the end of the Edo period, I would suggest.

Last edited by Justin (2009-11-14 00:07:25)

#50 2009-11-14 00:36:50

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I was confused when I saw that utaguchi the first time, could not tell if it was Kinko or Myoan.

Board footer