You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » im thinking of trying to make a wood shakuhachi with a turner

#26 2010-01-23 00:35:00

tingjunkie

Re: im thinking of trying to make a wood shakuhachi with a turner

Dreaming while taking lessons? I don't think many senseis would appreciate that! (Except maybe Perry) smile

#27 2010-01-23 10:34:18

tingjunkie

Ok. Received the flute blanks this morning. Can't say I'm 100% thrilled for two reasons...

1) The bore is not done in one straight shot, but rather it's drilled from both ends and meets in the middle. As you can guess, the two bores do not line up perfectly. Maybe about 1-2mm apart.

2) The bores are not completely centered, therefore the wall thickness is not entirely uniform.

Guess I should have done a little more detective work before ordering. I'm still going to try and make some flutes, but at this point, I wonder if it won't be any easier than if had I started with some decent bamboo?

#28 2010-01-24 06:06:53

Itamar Foguel
Website

yea im currently working with bamboo since i gave up the woo lath for the time bieng from 2 reasons (other then lack of time): getting a drill long enough is really a problem, the best would be to order a drill with a long rod from the factory or weld one to a metal rod but do it really good and 100% straight or it will dance and shake when you use it, funds and time dont really allow me to do it as a student for now.
second reason, getting or more likely making reamers with a taper for the bore is also not that simple, but making one from an old rasp or a wooden 1 with a straight metal blade attached  do seem possible.

for now its just easier with bamboo, im getting better at it but i really have to take lessons since i also feel stuck in my playing level not just the making... i have to advance...

and by the way, if i read it correctly i think that also Perry himself started to try and make shakuhachi's before he really knew how to play from a straight non root end bamboo he bought in china town....

#29 2010-01-24 19:49:56

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

tingjunkie wrote:

Dreaming while taking lessons? I don't think many senseis would appreciate that! (Except maybe Perry) smile

Hi Guys,

Do you mean lucid dreaming? I highly recommend the practice for anyone interested in experiencing what it's like to have absolute control in a true virtual reality.

Itamar Fogul wrote:

and by the way, if i read it correctly i think that also Perry himself started to try and make shakuhachi's before he really knew how to play from a straight non root end bamboo he bought in china town....

Almost true, it was actually bamboo from the Flower District on W27th in NYC. Here's a link to the thread that tells of my humble shakuhachi origins

- http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … 462#p18462

I basically learned to play and make side by side.

Ed offers the best advice on making - the better you can play, the better you will be able to make. Your idea of what makes a good flute will vacillate until you understand and can perform at least one style of shakuhachi music at an advanced level.  Until then, enjoy the process.

Good luck!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#30 2010-01-25 00:51:36

tingjunkie

Yungflutes wrote:

Do you mean lucid dreaming? I highly recommend the practice for anyone interested in experiencing what it's like to have absolute control in a true virtual reality.

Virtual reality? The Dreamworld IS reality.

Haha. Yes, I stumbled across you mentioning that you are a lucid dreamer in another thread when I was doing research. I too have been very interested in lucid dreaming for a few years now. I've had a few successes, but have yet to find the discipline to keep a dream journal for more than about 2 weeks steady, which I find is the real key. I'm too much of a night owl, and not enough of a morning person. sad But one of these days after a change in lifestyle...

Watch for those dream signs, and have fun!

Last edited by tingjunkie (2010-01-25 00:55:10)

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » im thinking of trying to make a wood shakuhachi with a turner

Board footer