Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-11-16 10:39:33

Jam

Players from the UK?

*I did have a look for previous threads, nothing seemed to come up*

I bumped into Justin at the weekend, and it made me wonder how many other shakuhachi players there are on the forum from the UK?

I'm from Oxford myself.. Curious to see how many other brits are out there!

#2 2009-11-16 11:25:21

Lorka

Re: Players from the UK?

Technically I'm a brit. 

Well, that's where I was born and spent my childhood.  I moved to Canada at age 12 and lost my accent, so when I go home now, people think I'm American.  As you may imagine, it can try one's patience.  People who consider themselves (or who actually are) Candian do not like being called American.  Brits just seem to have a hard time distinguising.  I don't bother explaining most of the time, and just say "Canadian".  To make matters even more confusing, I come from a family of (mostly white) Jamaicans.  So, to be honest, I'm not sure what I consider myself.  Canadian is the easy answer I guess.

Last edited by Lorka (2009-11-16 11:28:24)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#3 2009-11-16 14:38:49

Ambi

Ey Up - and greetings from the Grim North.
Actually for the Foreigners I should point out that Leeds is actually pretty much in the middle of our self important little island!
Lorka, I've always found it best to mistake Aussies for NZ and Yanks for Canadians - seems to cause less offence if you're wrong, some how.
"two peoples separated by a common language"

Last edited by Ambi (2009-11-16 14:42:08)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#4 2009-11-16 14:46:14

edosan
Edomologist

Or, you could call yourself what Ozzies call Yanks: 'Septics'...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2009-11-16 15:41:59

Ambi

Hi Ed - I didn't know that Aussies did rhyming slang. I tend to think of myself as "Sceptic" instead.
Have you had a play with:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=septic
?

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#6 2009-11-17 12:26:15

Ambi

I don hope that the above has not caused any offence, I unreservedly apologise if so, my intentions were purely humerus.
Although I did think that Ed might appreciate a "knowledge engine" even if it's results are mostly well beyond my comprehension.
Cheers

#7 2009-11-17 12:46:12

Jim Thompson

edosan wrote:

Septics? All I can come up with is tank. Not good. Dare I ask the meaning of the term or have I already figured it out. What do it mean?

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#8 2009-11-17 13:15:06

edosan
Edomologist

Jim Thompson wrote:

edosan wrote:

Septics? All I can come up with is tank. Not good. Dare I ask the meaning of the term or have I already figured it out. What do it mean?

Dat what it is. The way I heard it (delivered to me by an Ozzie resident in a very eccentric hostel I was staying at in Wellington--morning Reveille consisted of LOUD Beethoven piped throughout the house, for example) was: "Bloomin' Yank--Septic Tank".

And no offence to me, Ambi; your intentions were clear. I don't use it very much (yet), but I like Wolfram-Alpha.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#9 2009-11-17 14:03:24

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Jam wrote:

I bumped into Justin at the weekend, and it made me wonder how many other shakuhachi players there are on the forum from the UK?

Hi Jam.

Britain is one of the "shakuhachi centres' in Europe smile Lots of people interested in shakuhachi on this little island. One of the main reasons I think is the exchange with US and thereby Zen Buddhism, which has a slightly longer - or at least a little more popular history there than in Europe. A lot of shakuhachi material exist in English. Internet is more abundant in English. And probably many many other reasons that I am not able to account for. Then is also the efforts of individuals who try to introduce the shakuhachi to people outside Japan. In the case of England Iwamoto Yoshikazu has been very influential.

There used to be 4 shakuhachi teachers until recently just in London. Michael Coxall, Richard Stagg, Clive Bell and myself. Michael no longer teaches in London, but he may do so when he is in the country in Oxfordshire. Richard is retired but I think he still teaches, Clive only takes on a few students, and I am on my way out of England... so it is not as good as it was before. But I have almost 25 students - which I think is pretty impressive. So, lots of Brits out there playing shakuhachi!

The European Shakuhachi Society is registered as a educational charity in England. www.shakuhachisociety.eu (still only a pre-website while we wait for the new one)
So... lots of activities too! smile

There are also very active shakuhachi players/teachers in other countries in Europe including Sweden, France, Switzerland and Germany. I hope I can build up something in Denmark together with Torsten Olafsson. Europe is an up-coming shakuhachi-heaven (I hope) wink

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#10 2009-11-17 15:57:19

nyokai
shihan
Website

edosan wrote:

"Septic" is a classic example of Cockney rhyming slang -- you find a rhyming phrase for a word, such as "septic tank" rhyming with "Yank," and then eliminate the actual rhyming word from the phrase. I did not know that Cockney rhyming slang was also common in Australia.

#11 2009-11-17 18:12:27

Jam

Kiku Day wrote:

Jam wrote:

Hi Jam.

Britain is one of the "shakuhachi centres' in Europe smile Lots of people interested in shakuhachi on this little island. One of the main reasons I think is the exchange with US and thereby Zen Buddhism, which has a slightly longer - or at least a little more popular history there than in Europe. A lot of shakuhachi material exist in English. Internet is more abundant in English. And probably many many other reasons that I am not able to account for. Then is also the efforts of individuals who try to introduce the shakuhachi to people outside Japan. In the case of England Iwamoto Yoshikazu has been very influential.

There used to be 4 shakuhachi teachers until recently just in London. Michael Coxall, Richard Stagg, Clive Bell and myself. Michael no longer teaches in London, but he may do so when he is in the country in Oxfordshire. Richard is retired but I think he still teaches, Clive only takes on a few students, and I am on my way out of England... so it is not as good as it was before. But I have almost 25 students - which I think is pretty impressive. So, lots of Brits out there playing shakuhachi!

The European Shakuhachi Society is registered as a educational charity in England. www.shakuhachisociety.eu (still only a pre-website while we wait for the new one)
So... lots of activities too! smile

There are also very active shakuhachi players/teachers in other countries in Europe including Sweden, France, Switzerland and Germany. I hope I can build up something in Denmark together with Torsten Olafsson. Europe is an up-coming shakuhachi-heaven (I hope) wink

Hi Kiku, don't know if you remember but I was at the last London Summer School, took your class on Honkyoku (when we performed as we walked but couldn't remember the music so we stuck the notation to the back of the person in front..hehe), and Michael is my teacher in the UK!

#12 2009-11-17 22:21:39

cesor

Australian English - Strine, and rhyming slang was very common from the early settlement days up until the 60s.  Alas, it seems to be dying out with the older generations.  Young people today would be as bewildered as those from other countries when confronted with some of the following:

wife - trouble and strife, 'shirt' as in always on my back
mate - china plate or just 'china'
kids - tin lids, ankle biters, rug rats
road - frog and toad
break wind (fart) - horse and cart,  who cut their lunch or who opened their lunch box
toilet - dunny, thunder box, the library,
plumber - dunny diver
vomit - chunder, yawn at the lawn, laugh at the grass, drive the porcelain bus
boiled eggs - bum nuts
rissoles (meat balls) - bum busters
fish cakes - Roman Catholic bum busters
female genitalia - map of Tasmania
male genitalia - beef bugle, flesh flute, meat and two veg
priest/parson/preacher - God botherer,  sin bo'sun
sauce - dead horse

There are countless more, but enough to give some idea of Aussie vernacular.  Unfortunately, a lot of it is a little rough and I hope nobody's sensibilities have been offended; my apologies if so as no offense was intended.

Chris
Bangkok Thailand

#13 2009-11-17 23:52:09

Jam

I'm sure someone will be along in a second to tell you off, but I find this stuff really interesting, I know a little about Cockney rhyming slang, interesting to see that it carried over to Australia and then evolved!

I liked "shirt" for wife. I think my dad will find that quite amusing.

#14 2009-11-18 00:46:54

Jim Thompson

I paid my way through music school working as  a carny in the summers. They have there own language which is a combination of yiddish, pig-latin  and old english style rhymes which I understand go back to the 1800's or further.
    Here's a few:
Ones and twos-shoes
  Mincers(mince pies)-eyes
  Sky(sky rocket)-pocket
  Soap and wrapper(crapper)-bathroom
  Oscars(Oscar Hocks)-socks
  North and South-mouth
  Some that didn't rhyme but were none the less amusing:
   Pickets-teeth
   Map or Squash-face
   Rattle and can-car
   Johnson or Johnson bar-male organ
   Cooz-female organ
   Braces-legs
   Hank(Hank and Frank)-bank

W.C. Fields muttered a lot of carny talk under his breath.  Hilarious!
    Carny's also put izz before vowels in the early 1900's so the hip-hip use of that is not original but very old time hustlers talk.

#15 2009-11-18 01:04:33

Jim Thompson

edosan wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

edosan wrote:

Dat what it is. The way I heard it (delivered to me by an Ozzie resident in a very eccentric hostel I was staying at in Wellington--morning Reveille consisted of LOUD Beethoven piped throughout the house, for example) was: "Bloomin' Yank--Septic Tank".

So Ed,
        I gotta admit it. Septic hurts. Was this just one guy you met in a hostile or is that a commonly used term. I remember hanging out with 2 Australian girls in Japan they seemed to enjoy making derogatory remarks about Americans. I was offended then also. Septic tank! Is this the sort of attitude I would have to deal with in "Oz"?

#16 2009-11-18 01:59:36

Jam

I wouldn't come to England if I were you...!

#17 2009-11-18 02:18:47

Jim Thompson

Funny,
    I had a great time in England and was treated very well. Nobody called me a septic tank. Maybe I wasn't hanging out in the right places.

#18 2009-11-18 03:50:30

Jam

Lucky you! Where did you go, out of interest? London?

#19 2009-11-18 05:43:34

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Jam wrote:

Hi Kiku, don't know if you remember but I was at the last London Summer School, took your class on Honkyoku (when we performed as we walked but couldn't remember the music so we stuck the notation to the back of the person in front..hehe), and Michael is my teacher in the UK!

Ahhh.. I did think there was something familiar about the picture.
Yes, that performance was a lot of fun! Michael and I are talking about organising a 'shakuhachi winter school' early next year. These gatherings are fun!

You shouldn't speak so negatively about England wink I do find London to be an amazing place! Such a mixture of cultures and so many things happening. But I wouldnt know how the rest of the country is to live in. And one needs to get used to the 'English chaos'.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#20 2009-11-18 07:28:02

Jam

I suppose growing up somewhere you take parts of it for granted! I definitely recommend Oxford, can't say I'm too fond of London though!

The winter school sounds fun! I'll be in Japan until summer next year, so I unfortunately won't be able to attend the winter school, but if it's anything like the last one I'm sure it'll be great.

#21 2009-11-18 10:36:38

Jim Thompson

Jam wrote:

London, Birmingham and Manchester. I must admit I was hardly what you would call immersed. Maybe if I hung out in a bar in Manchester I would have gotten a dose.

#22 2009-11-18 11:52:30

edosan
Edomologist

Jim Thompson wrote:

Jam wrote:

London, Birmingham and Manchester. I must admit I was hardly what you would call immersed. Maybe if I hung out in a bar in Manchester I would have gotten a dose.

I think the Ozzie fella may've just been a right arsehole; he did have eyes like a snake, as I recall. That was the only even miniscule bummer I had in NZ. The hardest part of that trip was keeping to my itinerary, as Kiwis were constantly trying to drag me home to feed me a 'Proper Kiwi Roast' smile, and I've never been to Midlands England, but I was treated very well in the UK. I was on a bicycle, which always makes a difference, I think.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#23 2009-11-18 13:15:16

Jim Thompson

edosan wrote:

I think the Ozzie fella may've just been a right arsehole; he did have eyes like a snake, as I recall.

I feel better. It would be disheartening if that was the popular term.
    My brother does business in NZ and has been a number of times. Claims its the greatest place in the world.
    Maybe someday.

#24 2009-11-18 14:13:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jim Thompson wrote:

I gotta admit it. Septic hurts. Was this just one guy you met in a hostile or is that a commonly used term. I remember hanging out with 2 Australian girls in Japan they seemed to enjoy making derogatory remarks about Americans. I was offended then also. Septic tank! Is this the sort of attitude I would have to deal with in "Oz"?

They call me things like "Sir", "Mr. Ritchie", "Sensei" and "Our guest whom we are so fortunate to have" down here. smile

They'll probably call you "Sensei Gaspipe".

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#25 2009-11-18 14:43:47

Jim Thompson

Aahh! That's got a nice ring to it. I'm sure I'd have a great time in Oz. Ed had me riled up for a second there.

Board footer