Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-11-29 19:52:53

airin
Website

more than Kyorei?

I often read descriptions of certain shakuhachi, sometimes the really fat ones, that mention it being a good instrument for playing in the first octave.  Then typically the writer goes on to give Kyorei as an example of a piece that the flute would suited for but they never name any other pieces that are played totally in otsu.  Today, as I play only in otsu due to the limitations imposed by some recent peridontal surgery, I wondered if there are other pieces that are comprised of notes all in the first octave and if so, what are they and where would I find them?

thanks,
Erin

#2 2009-11-29 21:02:03

edosan
Edomologist

Re: more than Kyorei?

airin wrote:

I often read descriptions of certain shakuhachi, sometimes the really fat ones, that mention it being a good instrument for playing in the first octave.  Then typically the writer goes on to give Kyorei as an example of a piece that the flute would suited for but they never name any other pieces that are played totally in otsu.  Today, as I play only in otsu due to the limitations imposed by some recent peridontal surgery, I wondered if there are other pieces that are comprised of notes all in the first octave and if so, what are they and where would I find them?

thanks,
Erin

Looky here:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … d=522#p522

I searched until my knuckles were raw......

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-11-29 21:47:43

airin
Website

So, according to that 2005 thread (thanks for working your knuckles to the bone to find that, edosan) there appears to be two pieces in otsu besides Kyorei, then.  Garyoken Takeshirabe and Hifumi-no-Shirabe, the sheet music for the later being available at Monty's site, as for the former...?

So that's it?  Three pieces....?  Seems so few....

#4 2009-11-29 22:31:02

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

To add some information about Kyorei and Hifumi-no-shirabe:
Kyorei is one of Fudaiji's honkyoku, and in its Fudaiji version has plenty of both kan and otsu in it. The version you are referring to is I expect Jin Nyodo's arrangement of Kyorei, which indeed is only in otsu.

Hifumi-no-Shirabe is a Kinko-ryu piece, and is mainly though not entirely in otsu. Higuchi Taizan studied Kinko-ryu and made an arrangement of Hifumi-no-Shirabe, which is entirely in otsu.

So neither of these as Edo period honkyoku were entirely in otsu.
I don't know the piece Garyoken Takeshirabe, and the only reference I can find for it is that Tokuyama Takashi plays it on his CD. Does anyone know who he learned it from?

#5 2009-11-29 22:40:16

edosan
Edomologist

airin wrote:

So that's it?  Three pieces....?  Seems so few....

Many, if not most, honkyoku seem to be in the shape of a mountain, pitch-wise, starting off pretty low, burbling along for a while, then rising to a sort of climax, tapering down in pitch at the end.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#6 2009-11-30 01:30:11

marek
Website

Another pieces, although a an extremely short one, is Uke Take which consists of only two phrases.

Cheers,

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#7 2009-11-30 12:18:30

Lorka

Hi Justin,

I was a little confused on what you were saying about Kyorei.  Perhaps you can expand on that more.  I was under the impression that the kyorei that I have been hearing and playing was in its orginal form. 

I may have misunderstood, but I got the impression you were saying that the ostu kyorei is a modern invention on the part of Jin Nyodo, which differs from the "original".  In what ways do they dramatically differ?

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#8 2009-12-01 01:43:06

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Lorka wrote:

Hi Justin,

I was a little confused on what you were saying about Kyorei.  Perhaps you can expand on that more.  I was under the impression that the kyorei that I have been hearing and playing was in its orginal form. 

I may have misunderstood, but I got the impression you were saying that the ostu kyorei is a modern invention on the part of Jin Nyodo, which differs from the "original".  In what ways do they dramatically differ?

Hi Lorka
There is no original form of any honkyoku really, except the versions as they were originally composed. For a few pieces we may have the notation or even a recording by the composer of the piece, for example we have notation written by Araki CHikuo for Tsuki no Kyoku, or notation and even recordings of Ajikan by Miyagawa Nyozan. However many of the pieces we play are hundreds of years old, and the pieces take on lives of their own, so to speak, as the exist in a contiually changing form, sometimes branching off through the lineages to create many "offspring", different versions which may even become very different pieces.

They change over time; sometimes just naturally even when the student tries to play as the teacher, changing either immediately (if the student never learns to play the piece as the teacher does), or over the decades the player might play the piece, gradually evolving; and sometimes deliberately, in the case of someone consciously rearranging the piece. With Jin Nyodo, he seems at times to have consciously rearranged pieces. And also the style in which he plays pieces, even if the melody is the same, is sometimes different from the style he received the pieces in. For example, Takiochi. The Takiochi Jin plays is basically Fudaiji's version of Takiochi. So one might expect it to sound as it does in Seien-ryu (the school which continues the Fudaiji lineage). However Jin seems to have learned it from Taizan-ryu, from the way he plays it. [Higuchi Taizan was a student of Kanetomo Seien, but studied also Kinko-ryu and went to Kyoto and formed his own school, with his own arrangements and style.] Jin also seems to put his Kimpu-ryu influence into Takiochi (Jin was originally a Kimpu-ryu player) and indeed when he played it in Nagoya, the Seien-ryu people there found it strange that he was playing a Fudaiji honkyoku in Kimpu-ryu style. Whether this was a conscious change or not, I don't know.

As for Kyorei it seems that he also arranged his version not directly from the Seien-ryu version but from the Taizan-ryu version. The Taizan-ryu version is nearer the Seien-ryu version with differences mainly in breaths and ornamentation - both have a long otsu section and a long kan section. Jin's arrangement seems to be the Taizan-ryu version, but with the kan section changed to otsu so that the whole piece is in otsu.

This is all from my own deduction and there may be missing pieces to the puzzle. If anyone has any corrections or further information I would be happy to hear it.

#9 2009-12-01 05:35:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

marek wrote:

Another pieces, although a an extremely short one, is Uke Take which consists of only two phrases.

Cheers,

Marek

First phrase is otsu, second is kan.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#10 2009-12-01 05:41:50

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Justin wrote:

Hifumi-no-Shirabe is a Kinko-ryu piece, and is mainly though not entirely in otsu. Higuchi Taizan studied Kinko-ryu and made an arrangement of Hifumi-no-Shirabe, which is entirely in otsu.

Called Hi Fu Mi Cho.

There is notation available for this in the ISS Annals Vol. 1. Along with complete instructions.

Certainly not the definitive version, here's one we whipped up a few years back:

http://shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=165

#11 2009-12-01 06:46:12

marek
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Tairaku,

I'm  afraid that you are somehow mixing in Uke Take's kan twin, Yobi Take, which basically is the same two phrases in kan. (There are some minor differences in fingerings)

Or, have you encountered different version than I have?

Marek

Last edited by marek (2009-12-01 06:46:44)

#12 2009-12-01 08:46:05

Lorka

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the detailed response.  Some of the things you mentioned went way over my head, as I do not, as yet, have a broad understanding of the various historical branches that the shakuhachi transmission developed in Japan.  It is interesting stuff though. 

I would like to hear a Seien-ryu version of Kyorei at some point, if only so I could compare it against the one I know (the Jin one).

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#13 2009-12-01 09:11:17

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Lorka wrote:

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I would like to hear a Seien-ryu version of Kyorei at some point, if only so I could compare it against the one I know (the Jin one).

I would like to hear it too!!!

Does anyone have an audio file of it?

Thanks in advance!

Omnia mea mecum porto

#14 2009-12-01 16:36:31

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

marek wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Tairaku,

I'm  afraid that you are somehow mixing in Uke Take's kan twin, Yobi Take, which basically is the same two phrases in kan. (There are some minor differences in fingerings)

Marek

The version I know is (from Jin Nyodo):

"Origin unknown: YOBIDAKE -UKEDAKE

2-shaku 5-sun
1 min. 4 sec.

1. About the title:

It was customary for komuso priests, when they chanced to cross paths while out collecting alms, to greet one another with this piece. One priest would first play Yobidake ("calling bamboo"). In this way, if the first priest played Yobidake three times, and the other priest could not respond with Ukedake, he was exposed as an imposter, a bogus priest (in Japanese: maisu).

The style of playing this Yobidake-Ukedake varied with the school that the komuso belonged to, so that it was possible to distinguish where a priest came from by the style of his playing.

2. Structure of the piece

The Yobidake is played in a two breath melody which rises from the lowest tone to the highest tone within KO (the second octave). The Ukedake is the same melody played in RO (the first octave). Yobidake is played three times, while Ukedake is played once."

So it may be considered two pieces, but they go together. They're the same phrase but in different octaves.

#15 2009-12-01 17:52:09

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Justin wrote:

Called Hi Fu Mi Cho.

There is notation available for this in the ISS Annals Vol. 1. Along with complete instructions.

Certainly not the definitive version, here's one we whipped up a few years back:

http://shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=165

And this is a rough field recording of Tanikita Muchiku, 37th Abbot of Myoan-ji Temple from 1949 and student of Higuchi Taizan. Tanakita was in his mid 70s at the time of this recording. The flute may be tuned below 440 but it is a 1.8. The old tube-driven reel-to-reel tape recorder may also have been a little slow or cold:

Hi Fu Mi Cho by Tanikita Muchiku

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#16 2009-12-01 22:19:14

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Justin wrote:

Called Hi Fu Mi Cho.

Yes, in Taizan-ryu it is pronounced Hifumi Cho. The kanji (Japanese script) for the pronunciation "cho" and "shirabe" is the same, and so can be pronounced either way, so the written title is (excluding "no") the same.

#17 2009-12-02 08:55:20

marek
Website

Tairaku wrote:

marek wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Tairaku,

Marek

The version I know is (from Jin Nyodo):

"Origin unknown: YOBIDAKE -UKEDAKE

2-shaku 5-sun
1 min. 4 sec.

1. About the title:

It was customary for komuso priests, when they chanced to cross paths while out collecting alms, to greet one another with this piece. One priest would first play Yobidake ("calling bamboo"). In this way, if the first priest played Yobidake three times, and the other priest could not respond with Ukedake, he was exposed as an imposter, a bogus priest (in Japanese: maisu).

The style of playing this Yobidake-Ukedake varied with the school that the komuso belonged to, so that it was possible to distinguish where a priest came from by the style of his playing.

2. Structure of the piece

The Yobidake is played in a two breath melody which rises from the lowest tone to the highest tone within KO (the second octave). The Ukedake is the same melody played in RO (the first octave). Yobidake is played three times, while Ukedake is played once."

So it may be considered two pieces, but they go together. They're the same phrase but in different octaves.

Yep, I got no complaints.) My idea was that one phrase equals one breath...

#18 2009-12-03 10:52:24

Moran from Planet X
Website

Yobedaki-Ubedake by Jin Nyodo

Last edited by Chris Moran (2009-12-03 10:52:55)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#19 2009-12-03 17:08:39

edosan
Edomologist

Jon wrote:

What honkyoku are unaltered, without a doubt, from the Edo period?

Only the one played with 'Taimu-sans-holes'....

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#20 2009-12-03 23:25:06

marek
Website

Hi Chris,

I don't know if this is supposed to be an argument that it is a single piece. If it is, then I suggest to also take into account how the piece(s) have been notated, that suggests they are two pieces indeed, although strongly connected.

Cheers,

Marek

#21 2009-12-04 00:27:05

airin
Website

Jon wrote:

Who wants a flute you can only play two known pieces on?.... No, really! I got some! Who IS interested wink

Puts her hand up, "Ok, I am!" big_smile

#22 2009-12-04 00:40:24

Moran from Planet X
Website

marek wrote:

Hi Chris,

I don't know if this is supposed to be an argument that it is a single piece...

Hi Marek,

No point or argument intended. I noticed that pieces (Yobedake-Ubedake and HiFuMi Cho) were mentioned in this thread and I thought I would post them for anyone who have not heard those specific pieces recorded by those artists. (Much of Jin Nyodo's recorded work is only available in a $250-something 6-cd set and Tanikita's work is only sold on cassette tape.)

I would have also posted Jin's Kyorei, but the file is too big. smile

#23 2009-12-04 01:55:57

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

marek wrote:

I don't know if this is supposed to be an argument that it is a single piece. If it is, then I suggest to also take into account how the piece(s) have been notated, that suggests they are two pieces indeed, although strongly connected.

They're the same phrase in two different octaves and they're always played together. It's a "call and response" pattern, neither is complete without the other. In Jin's notation they're not written as separate pieces. When he wrote for example "Shirabe-Sagariha" they are written adjacent to each other so you get the idea that they are separate pieces. In fact you can play Nezasaha "Shirabe" by itself but you'd seldom play "Sagariha" without preceding it with "Shirabe". So I'm assuming Jin Nyodo, at least, thought of "Yobedake-Ubedake" as a single piece or he wouldn't have written it that way.

#24 2009-12-04 02:16:43

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Justin wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Justin wrote:

Called Hi Fu Mi Cho.

Yes, in Taizan-ryu it is pronounced Hifumi Cho. The kanji (Japanese script) for the pronunciation "cho" and "shirabe" is the same, and so can be pronounced either way, so the written title is (excluding "no") the same.

The way it is written actually more or less tells you how it is pronounced. If Hifumi-chō is only written like this with kanji only 一二三調, then usually it is pronounced Hifumi-chō - the last character pronounced in kun'yomi or Chinese way of reading (although it is Japanese Chinese). If the title is written 一二三の調, the の (no) indicates (with exceptions) that Japanese reading of the kanji should be used. One of the knotty aspects of Japanese language. But anyway Hifumi-chō and Hifumi no Shirabe readings are not exactly the same but two variations - just like the variations in shakuhachi pieces. smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer