World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-11-30 17:03:37

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Perry's Out on the Town! Dec 4th NYC

Hi local NYC shakuhachi people, One of my students is performing in the show below (not on shakuhachi but his main ax). Looks like an amazing group of players. I'll be at the Friday 9pm show. Anyone want to meet up? This is probably my only chance to get together for the holidays as I'll be out of town from Dec 21th. Contact me off list. Hope to see you there!

RAGING WATERS, RED SANDS
Dec. 4 & 5 @ 9pm & 10:30pm @ Jazz Gallery
290 Hudson St. between Spring & Dominick, NY, NY, 10013
(212) 242-1063 for reservations

Jen Shyu, composition, voice, dance, er hu
Satoshi Haga, choreography, dance
Ivan Barenboim, clarinet
Chris Dingman, vibes
Mat Maneri, viola
Satoshi Takeishi, percussion

Poetry by Patrícia Magalhães

Raging Waters, Red Sands.  The water god, in anger, cuts a hole in the sky. The sky opens. Rain pours out like a river, submerging the earth, allotting one man the fate to choose between saving his villagers from the flooding waters or being loyal to his wife and yet unborn son. 
    Notions of love, existence, and universal versus personal obligation are tested in this modern myth based on an ancient narrative form called “Shuo-chang,” literally meaning “speak-sing” in Mandarin Chinese. The narrative mixes Portuguese, Tetum, English, Taiwanese, and Mandarin interchangeably with the sound and space of voice (Jen Shyu, composer), dance (Satoshi Haga, choreographer), viola (Mat Maneri), clarinet (Ivan Barenboim), vibraphone (Chris Dingman), and percussion (Satoshi Takeishi), poetry by Patrícia Magalhães.  Commissioned by the Jazz Gallery with support from the Jerome Foundation.

Last edited by Yungflutes (2009-11-30 18:24:25)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer