Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-02 13:04:27

mlavik1

Beginner: Lips and flute position.

Hello!
I am new to Shakuhachi, and I've been trying to find out how to form my lips. I ended up finding so many embouchures that I couldn't decide which to use. Do I need to think of this, or should I just have my mouth relaxed, and let the embouchere develop itself as I practice? I really don't know what to do, and how I should play.

I can play the RI and sometimes RO. I've managed to play CHI a few times as well, but then I had my mouth formed as a round circle, which is not a very good embouchure.. I often get a whistling sound when playing.

How should I continue learning, and what should I concentrate on? Lately I've been switching embouchure all the time, looking for one I'm able to do, but I have not improved at all.

Thanks!

#2 2009-12-02 13:17:44

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Beginner: Lips and flute position.

mlavik1 wrote:

How should I continue learning, and what should I concentrate on? Lately I've been switching embouchure all the time, looking for one I'm able to do, but I have not improved at all.

Have a look at this:
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRS49JqD … re=related

Also, for a while, try playing with all the holes OPEN. It's easier to get a sound that way, and you don't have to worry about whether you are
getting a proper seal on all the holes, which can profoundly affect your sound. After doing this for a while, close hole 5 (the 'top' one), work
at it for a time, then close hole 4 (Chi), and so on, until all holes are closed.

And just keep trying; it takes time--more for some people, less for others--but it will come.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-12-03 13:57:02

mlavik1

Re: Beginner: Lips and flute position.

Thank you very much! This was helpful for me

Board footer