You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#76 2010-01-10 04:26:09

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Okuda Box Set Update

Thanks guys, I better pitch in myself! smile
This project started with the energy on this forum. I find the project interesting in itself... and hopefully the end result will be great!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#77 2010-01-10 09:43:46

Kiku Day
Website

We now have enough donations to pay for one recording session.
What would be the best way to do? To get the pieces recorded when we have enough money or to wait till we have a bigger amount of money? I thought it might be good to just go ahead with the recordings while the engineer can do it. Then we will have 5 pieces done.... What do you think?

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#78 2010-01-10 09:48:15

jamesnyman

Record when you can.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#79 2010-01-10 12:18:38

Matt Lyon

I am also in favor of recording as we go but it may be a good idea to wait a bit more to see if we can get enough for 2 or 3 sessions. That way you could provide a bit of a schedule for all those involved.

Since the recording would be 5 at a time are you planning on trying to do the scores along with the recordings?

#80 2010-01-10 14:31:34

Kiku Day
Website

Matt Lyon wrote:

I am also in favor of recording as we go but it may be a good idea to wait a bit more to see if we can get enough for 2 or 3 sessions. That way you could provide a bit of a schedule for all those involved.

Since the recording would be 5 at a time are you planning on trying to do the scores along with the recordings?

Mmmmm.... it is hard to see through what is the best way. I was thinking of just doing the recordings and pile them up till they could all be released in a box set - really. In a way I was hoping we could really release it as a compilation. That means all the recordings should be released with the score at once. It may take a while - but I think there might be something nice about it too. But if it would take too long it is better to release little by little....

Perhaps some more experienced people could come with their opinions... I am certainly open for any method. Lorka, what do you think? Anyone else?

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#81 2010-01-10 15:06:40

Matt Lyon

Kiku,

I wasn't thinking about releasing them individually. I was just wondering if work on the scores would correspond with the recording schedule.

#82 2010-01-10 15:28:38

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku, didn't he record an album in SF a few years ago? Why not use that as the first batch, and do this as the second batch?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#83 2010-01-10 15:37:56

Kiku Day
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Kiku, didn't he record an album in SF a few years ago? Why not use that as the first batch, and do this as the second batch?

Okuda has decided not to release that Too long time has passed by and he feels it's too old. So this project should be a fresh batch.

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#84 2010-01-10 15:57:11

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Okuda has decided not to release that Too long time has passed by and he feels it's too old. So this project should be a fresh batch.

OK then the box set has to be made quickly so he doesn't think it's getting old.

#85 2010-01-11 03:08:08

Kiku Day
Website

Matt Lyon wrote:

Kiku,

I wasn't thinking about releasing them individually. I was just wondering if work on the scores would correspond with the recording schedule.

Ok, now I get you, Matt. Yes, that would certainly make sense to do that. And helpful to think about now as well. Otherwise there will be a huge pile of work waiting for the person to do work on the scores.

Tairaku wrote:

OK then the box set has to be made quickly so he doesn't think it's getting old.

That CD was recorded in 2005... Unfortunately, the person who had the sound files just didn't want to make a move. It was a great pity because I thought it was a good CD. I certainly hope the box set will be out earlier than 4-5 years after recording.

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#86 2010-03-12 09:43:35

Kiku Day
Website

Ok a little update on the Okuda box set!
The box set is not just around the corner... our engineer is busy, the recording space does not seem to work, and Phil Nyokai who was a key person giving advice on how to record the best way is ill....

But there is one good news!

Okuda recorded a wonderful CD in Berkeley, CA in 2005. It has been very difficult to get that recording released, but finally it has gone to the stage where the CD is in the process of being made! I will announce more in details about 'Bamboo Zen' when I get them. smile

Regarding the box set. I think this is a project where the steps have to be taken carefully and well considered. I think I need to at least go to Japan once and decide with Okuda where and how to record the music. I also will have to consider how to publish the score together with him. So it will probably become a long-term project.
For the people who have already donated money to this project. I think it would be fair to say if we haven't taken major steps by 2012, we will pay the money back.

What do you all think?
What do you think, Lorka?

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#87 2010-03-12 10:47:53

Matt Lyon

Kiku,

I have been wondering how the project has been going. It looks like the fund raising aspect of the project needs to be considered as it appears that the money won't be donated in large enough amounts to get anything done.

Matt

#88 2010-03-12 11:12:34

Kiku Day
Website

Hi Matt.

Yes, the funding is the main obstacle.

I will try to apply for funding for the project as well - but I must admit - I haven't got around to it yet.

Do you have any suggestions on how to approach this?
Any ideas are welcome! smile

The Okuda Box Set is not my personal project. But after the idea was born here on the forum - I feel it is something I would like to implement for my teacher and for the shakuhachi community.
IF we succeed it would be quite a mile stone on how internet communities can move a concrete project - which I think would be wonderful! So I haven't forgotten...

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#89 2010-03-13 03:10:46

Kiku Day
Website

While we think about how to approach the finances of the Box Set, I'd like to announce the new Okuda CD 'Bamboo Zen'
It's great!

Follow the link for more info:

http://www.shakuhachi.com/R-Shaku-Okuda.html

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/BAMBOOZEN1-1.jpg

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#90 2010-03-13 08:35:10

Lorka

Hi Kiku,

Sorry for the delay in response.  I have been soaking up good shakuhachi (and sake) at the montreal workshop. 

I think your idea about moving cautiously is probably for the best.  In experience, anything rushed usually leads to bad results.  As you mentioned, it would be a good idea for you to spend some time working things out with Okuda in Japan.  Your presence there might also hasten the overall process, in a good, un-rushed way.

As for the other CD, all I can is, 'Hell yeah'.  For this one, I say get it out there as fast as possible, as the work is already done.  I know a cover is the least important thing on a CD, but I love the cover for this one.  I'm all tingly again thinking about this stuff.

Now I need an injection of coffee and off to McGill for the first full length day of the workshop with Chikuzen.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#91 2010-03-13 10:32:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I don't get it, a couple of weeks ago you said he didn't want to release it, now it's out? Mysteries of jinashi abound. roll

#92 2010-03-13 11:45:43

Matt Lyon

I was searching around and came across these links about the CD:

http://myoanshakuhachi.blogspot.com/201 … o-zen.html

http://mahaprana.wordpress.com/

#93 2010-03-13 12:07:00

ABRAXAS

FANTASTIC!

Nice text from Henry Kaiser.

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#94 2010-03-14 10:30:43

Kiku Day
Website

Tairaku wrote:

I don't get it, a couple of weeks ago you said he didn't want to release it, now it's out? Mysteries of jinashi abound. roll

Don't ask me why??roll?? Okuda told me he didn't want to release it... and then suddenly I was told there were a few days to its release. Anyhow, I just think it is good it finally made it out there.
I really had given up on it myself! I hope many will buy the CD. It's really great!

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#95 2010-03-14 11:00:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Don't ask me why??roll?? Okuda told me he didn't want to release it... and then suddenly I was told there were a few days to its release. Anyhow, I just think it is good it finally made it out there.
I really had given up on it myself! I hope many will buy the CD. It's really great!

I think he used an early Taimu on some songs.

So why not just use this as the second in a series and not worry about a box set?

#96 2010-03-14 11:52:47

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

So why not just use this as the second in a series and not worry about a box set?

Works for me; then it's just a matter of the possible options of putting together a sheet music package and/or repackaging the whole thing.

That route may, however, go against the grain of the producers of the latest album, not to mention Monty's interest in the thing. Far as I know,
he's the only one selling it.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#97 2010-03-14 15:33:52

Kiku Day
Website

Monty released Bamboo Zen on his label.
Trust me - a lot of thinking behind the scenes is happening at the moment... We are trying our best to find the best solution. It would be practical if Bamboo Zen could be no 1 in the Box Set.... but as Ed mentions there might be slight problems involved. I never had the control of that recording - unfortunately. But out it is now in the public and it is excellent.

Thanks Matt for your search abilities. smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#98 2010-03-14 17:21:37

mahaprana

Hey All,

One thing to consider is that Okuda doesn't play a piece the same way ONCE much less twice. And the notation is a skeleton of what he is doing. The real magic of his playing is in the improvisational nature of it and as he likes to say "the union of opposites." It's not in the notes. By the time someone learns a piece the way he has written it, he has moved far beyond that or is focusing on something subtle that is not (and cannot) be contained in the notation (which is already available.) I think to play like him is to understand and incorporate the things that he is paying attention to. This is far more important than which notes to play. That is almost entirely missing the point.

Also, Okuda in the studio is a very interesting dynamic. Kiku knows this. Very few others do. I had him tell me that he would never, EVER, record Futaiken Reibo....and that was 10 minutes before I asked him to record it and he said yes. For him to be at his best, there needs to be no pressure. At all. Freedom of the moment. To have the pressure to record his entire repertoire and then connect it to sheet music....it won't come out well. He won't like it. He has an amazingly critical ear for his own playing. The entire thing will amount to a lot of recordings of him not at his best.

I think the best thing would be for him to record what he wants when he is ready to record it. I'm fairly confident that I could have him agree to another project with minimal fuss. That way, the "box set" gets built slowly, one CD at a time. It doesn't need to be all at once. How many people even have the chops to attempt half of what he is playing anyway?

just food for thought,

-Josh

#99 2010-03-14 18:30:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

mahaprana wrote:

I think the best thing would be for him to record what he wants when he is ready to record it.

Doesn't this thought bring us back to the idea of giving him a small digital recorder and let him record himself whenever he wants? roll cool

#100 2010-03-14 19:54:04

Jim Thompson

Tairaku wrote:

mahaprana wrote:

I think the best thing would be for him to record what he wants when he is ready to record it.

Doesn't this thought bring us back to the idea of giving him a small digital recorder and let him record himself whenever he wants? roll cool

I think your right Brian. With somebody as mercurial as Okuda it's all about the moment. I'd rather hear a so-so recording of a good performance than a good recording of a so-so performance.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

Board footer