World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-08 13:44:36

nyokai
shihan
Website

Montreal Shakuhachi Workshop, Feb. 6 and 7

I will be teaching a two day shakuhachi workshop in Montreal CA on February 6 and 7.

This workshop, open to all shakuhachi students whether or not you study with me, provides an opportunity to refine your technique and explore your musicality in new ways. It is truly an intensive, a two-day workout that will challenge you as well as teach you. Your playing level is less important than your willingness to commit to a very concentrated learning experience.

The workshop emphasizes listening meditation, posture, breath control, producing a consistent sound, ear training, and effective technique. We will also study (or re-study, depending on your level) several honkyoku and gaikyoku. This work is appropriate for advanced students as well as beginners.

As in the past, the workshop will also feature "semi-private" lessons in which one student works with me on a particular piece while the rest of the group watches. In past workshops, players at all levels have found that this method moves their playing forward very quickly.

For this workshop, I am also adding three new sessions that I "premiered" at the last Boston workshop:

*  Evaluating a shakuhachi - this session provides a thorough and systematic method for determining if a particular flute is a good one for traditional study. I will not only go over how to test a flute's capabilities, but will help you develop a vocabulary for analyzing its sound.

*  Notation - this session provides an overview of different shakuhachi notation systems and covers some of the trickier inconsistencies among variants of Kinko that often confuse students. We will also work on the more complex rhythms that can come up. After this class, you will feel much more confident approaching new pieces.

And, most importantly:

*  Advanced breath work - this session utilizes some advanced yogic breathing exercises to conserve and extend the breath and to improve your tone. I guarantee that it works!

For full information or to register, please go to http://nyokai.com/montrealworkshop.shtml

I hope to see some of you there!

#2 2010-01-09 06:00:42

nyokai
shihan
Website

Re: Montreal Shakuhachi Workshop, Feb. 6 and 7

There are still a couple of openings for the Montreal shakuhachi workshop. To register, see http://nyokai.com/montrealworkshop.shtml

(It looks like I may have a selection of Tom Deaver flutes for sale there, too.)

Last edited by nyokai (2010-01-09 10:34:35)

#3 2010-01-12 07:50:26

nyokai
shihan
Website

Here is the latest information on the upcoming Montreal workshop Feb. 6 and 7.

on McGill campus, exact location to be announced very soon.

*Level*
The workshop is suited to all levels of playing ability. There will be plenty of material easy enough for beginners, and plenty of detailed work suitable to the most advanced players. For beginners the workshop will be challenging, of course, but I believe very rewarding.

*Workshop features:*
I will be teaching some new breath work based on Pranayama Yoga, Feldenkreis method, and traditional breathing technique for voice and wind instruments. This work, intended to improve tone and stamina, will inform everything we do throughout the workshop. In addition there will be classes in Meian-style variants of Kinko notation and on how to evaluate shakuhachi. The group pieces we will work on in detail are Kyorei (two versions), Banshiki Cho, Koku, Sashi and Kyo Choshi.

As always in my workshops, there will be semi-private lessons. In these, one student works on a particular piece with me while the others watch. If you have a particular piece you wish to work on, please let me know as soon as possible by responding to this email, and please bring a few copies of the music. Otherwise, I will try to choose an appropriate piece for you.

Schedule:
Saturday
10 - 10:30 RO Buki
10:30 - 11:30 Breath work
11:30 - 12:30 Kyorei - two versions

12:30 - 1:30 Lunch

1:30 - 3 Semi-private lessons

3 - 4:30 - Banshiki Cho
4:30 - 5:30 Evaluating flutes
5:30 - 6 Free-form Q&A

Sunday
10 - 10:30 RO Buki
10:30 - 11:30 Notation class
11:30 - 12:30 Kyo Choshi, Sashi

12:30 - 1:30 Lunch

1:30 - 3 Semi-private lessons

3 - 4:30 - Koku
4:30 - 5:30 Breath work
5:30 - 6 Kyorei revisited

Looking forward to seeing you there! If there are any other questions, please feel free to write. And if you have not sent in the registration form at http://nyokai.com/montrealworkshop.shtml, please do so as soon as you can.

#4 2010-01-25 16:12:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

This event is on hold. We received this message from Phil's wife Lara. Let's all blow healing music for Phil.

"Dear Shakuhachi folks --

This is Phil James' wife, Lara Schneider writing this message. I know he would want you all to spread this word as I just don't know quite how to reach individual people so decided to go this route.

We have been on a trip in Arizona trying to get a little R & R before our upcoming babies birth -- which is due on April 4th. I have some sad news. Phil has suffered from a stroke. We are in the intensive care unit in Phoenix, Arizona at the Mayo Clinic. He has been in intensive care for about 2 days. Luckily I was able to get him a helicopter ride here which has a good neurological department. Everything is completely up in the air for him and how his recovery will be. He has had an ischemic stroke, and possibly a type called a diversion (which is mechanical). It is somewhere probably on the mid-range of intensity (but unkown).

His left side of his brain is where the stroke happened -- but the right side of his brain has been compensating a lot. They suspect that music and art have helped this side be so developed -- yeah for shakuhachi!

Anyhow, I am in trauma mode and any help that you all can offer to him, us, our family would be amazingly appreciated.  At this point spreading the word is most critical as I don't want his entire shakuchachi career -- students to be left in a lurch. Please spread the word to his shakuhachi dojo in Portland, Boston and anyone that may be going to the upcoming Montreal workshop or of course his friends in the shakuhachi community.

If you have questions please email me:
Lara Schneider
radiantnature@gmail.com

I can't be sure I'll write back immediately but will try. I plan to design a blog to keep anyone updated in a more general way if they're interested. Please email me if you'd like to follow the blog.

Please send us metta.

Peace,
Lara Schneider (Phil's wife)"

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2010-01-25 18:00:29

shaman141
Website

Matt just called me to let me know what happened, i'm very sorry to hear about this. I will do what I can to let the other MTL students know whats going on.

Blowing healing sounds for you Phil,

Sean

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#6 2010-01-25 18:01:58

Moran from Planet X
Website

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Phil is such a fine man and a great resource and friend to us.

You and Lara will be forefront in our prayers over the next days and weeks.

— Chris and Anna Moran

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#7 2010-01-25 18:17:53

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

shaman141 wrote:

Matt just called me to let me know what happened, i'm very sorry to hear about this. I will do what I can to let the other MTL students know whats going on.

Thanks Sean, maybe you and the other Montreal people should get together anyway and do a "healing blow" session for Phil.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2010-01-25 19:13:44

Jam

I'm very sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Will be thinking of you when I play today.

Best wishes,

James

#9 2010-01-25 19:46:51

airin
Website

Sending out loving energy to Phil and Lara.

#10 2010-01-25 19:50:57

rikkomu
Website

I am very sorry to  hear this and  I wish Phil a fast recovery.
Thank you Tairaku and Sean for posting the information. I also, got it earlier today from Chicuzen Gould.
My thoughts are with Phil and his wife Lara.

We shall never cease from exploration / And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started / And know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot

#11 2010-01-25 20:39:48

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

I wish him a speedy recovery and gain all his capacities. Will blow for him as much as I can.

I am sure we will hear some good news soon!

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#12 2010-01-26 17:54:01

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I would like to announce that there is the possibility of going on with the Montreal workshop and adding a concert.

All of us who are frinds with Phil are quite shocked by this sudden happening. I just talked to Lara on the phone. Phil is still in ICU and stable for now. They are hoping to move him out of ICU tomorrow. This would really lift her spirits. She is quite devastated. I would urge people not to call her now because it's very hard for her to talk about Phil's condition. She needs some time and space with him. Lara says she will eventually get a blog going to give update reports for us.

Phil had a workshop planned in Montreal. I talked with Lara and offered to do the workshop and a concert that sat. evening as a benefit for them. She thought that would be great and said Phil would be very happy for the support. I have already secured help with lodging and have booked a flight The workshop will be built upon Phil's outline with just some of the songs changing. We'll do Kyorei, Honshirabe, Goreika (Pilgrim's chant song) & Nezasa Shirabe. We'll also do chanting and breath work. I'm also open to requests here.  As I mentioned, this will totally be a benefit for Phil and Lara. If you have signed up and would like to continue to support Phil by attending, or if you haven't signed up but now feel you can, please let myself or Sean Riley know. I have no idea who has signed up for this but if you could contact one of us, it would be very helpful. In fact, this will only be possible by everyone helping out. Please contact me even if you cannot go and help out by offering information. We have 10 days to go but I would like to get on top of things asap since we're going to use a space for a concert, etc.

Anyone interested in joining this concert please call me. I'm sure we'll have a group song or two by the participants of the workshop.

Thanks for your help in this situation.

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-01-26 18:19:54)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#13 2010-01-27 12:38:39

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Excuse this update as being redundant as I'm putting it in all three columns that are related in this Events and Announcements section to make sure the people who need to see it do. After considering the timeline and other factors I think it's best that we POSTPONE the workshop and concert for now and do this as soon as possible in the near future. There doesn't seem to me to be enough time to get this together in any fashion that will truly benefit Phil. If there is to be a fundraising concert it will need to be advertised well to get an audience. Right now, I imagine we wouldn't get more than 15~20 people. I'd rather get 100 or more. Which means putting more thought into into and then some leg work.  As far as the future workshop goes, if you join that's great. Nobody needs to feel they have to attend the workshop I offer. I WILL do the workshop though and look forward to seeing some of you then. I personally am not sure I could play well in front of people right now as it makes me quite sad to realize the situation of Phil, Lara & the baby. It would be nice to have Phil on the road to recovery and all of us feel real good about meeting to play shakuhachi together and do a concert. Maybe that's just me.

So for now, the workshop is POSTPONED. I'll be working towards the next date and could use anyone's help that was registered. Thanks again.

And thanks to Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldon for generously offering to teach Phil's students. That's a great solution to their dilemma. I would offer my time and energy too but I can't help here since I don't play and teach the same style.

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-01-27 17:26:02)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#14 2010-01-27 17:18:19

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

A few of my comments in the previous post need explaining and following up with apologies. First of all, I didn't mean to make anyone feel that I was volunteering their workshop payment as a donation. I WILL do a workshop in the near future, as soon as I can find a good date and get the concert setup, and your payment, if you chose to join, can count for that workshop. If you chose not to join, I'm sure there will be a way that your money is returned, once the "dust settles" around Phil's condition. I already feel I'm speaking in areas that have nothing to do with me.  I'm just a friend of Phil's and was over zealous in making the suggestion. Of course, please do completely what is natural concerning such things (donations, help, etc) according to your means and your relationship with Phil. As we all do in each such case. Whether it's Haiti, a brother or a teacher that you know or barely know, etc. There are so many people that need help in so many ways in the world and we can only do so much, and sometimes nothing, because of our own current  circumstances or simply our relationship doesn't hold such an urge. That's natural.  Again, I certainly didn't mean to volunteer anyone's money or time, or want to make them feel badly in any way. A good thought sent out is just as valuable as anything.

I have already edited the previous comments which I felt could have been inappropriate.

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-01-27 17:28:37)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#15 2010-02-05 15:17:15

MikeL

I wonder if any of Phil's Portland students, friends, or family could get some of his CDs to
any seminars or concerts that are put on in his honor for purchase?

I'm part of the Boston group and don't have any contacts for Portland.

- Mike

Last edited by MikeL (2010-02-05 15:19:22)

Board footer