You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-12 04:04:07

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Shakuhachi and pot historical???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHA3o-AERUc

In this video at 2:20 he starts saying cannabis was used in Suizen from the 7th century? WTF is he talking about? Ok I never heard of this so it does not mean it never existed but his assumptions seem self inveted fro his own purpose.

Anyway if anyone have clear historical links to this it would be very interesting to know about this aspect of Shakuhachi but I higly doubt there is any tangible info to support his claims.

I use cannabis for medical purpose now in treating some symptoms of M.S but I feel idiots of his kind can only bring more debate and prejudice to the whole thing.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#2 2009-12-12 06:08:02

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Shakuhachi and pot historical???

This guy's rambling bullshit is a very good anti-drug message. wink

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-12-12 11:23:41

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

Where's hippie or horst, like flies on &*^%?

I channel thems'..........

~~~~
WORST AND BEER BETTER WAY
CANNABIS OK WAY
UND CAST BORE BEST WAY

Duuude like far out. I've been toking and 'tating since '67. I must've been connecting to my past lives when I made that shakuhachi bong!
~~~~

Now I have to go vomit, intense!

Last edited by Jon (2009-12-12 11:48:12)

My site flutedojo. Craftsperson of Jinashi and Jimori shakuhachi for sale since 2002. Dai Shihan 'Grandmaster' and full-time teacher of shakuhachi lessons

#4 2009-12-14 09:15:28

lowonthetotem
Website

Pro-legalization guys are always looking for connections to legitimize their drug of choice in some sort of meditattive or medicinal way which elevates their quest for a buzz past the level of an empty-headed high school kid to some shaman/guru/super-deep individual.

As an interesting side note in the world of smoke, in the past readers were employed to read to cigar rollers while they plied their craft.  This allowed the usually illiterate rollers to expand their knowledge while hard at work.  A broad spectrum of works were read out loud to the rollers and the names of cigars often were taken from favorite works of literature of the rollers who voted on what they wanted to hear, hence the popular brands/sizes, Romeo and Juileta, Monte Cristo, and apparently Brian's new avatar, Socrates.  Today the practice of hiring readers to read for cigar rollers is still only practice in Cuba.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#5 2009-12-14 09:38:42

lowonthetotem
Website

Of course, in a hundred years, I'd look at accounts of this story with skepticism.

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php … 82,0,0,1,0

Ch-ch-ch-check out my new signature, yo!

#6 2009-12-14 12:03:34

radi0gnome
Website

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#7 2009-12-14 14:11:48

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

thanks for the video of the rhyming monk. hip hop, of course, has roots in poetry. someone told me that it's hard for elderly to understand the way kids in japan talk to one another now.

My site flutedojo. Craftsperson of Jinashi and Jimori shakuhachi for sale since 2002. Dai Shihan 'Grandmaster' and full-time teacher of shakuhachi lessons

#8 2009-12-15 10:38:55

radi0gnome
Website

Gishin wrote:

Anyway if anyone have clear historical links to this it would be very interesting to know about this aspect of Shakuhachi

Dude, like look it up, it's all over the internet http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/101.html Now where did I park my car smile

Seriously, I'm not sure if I believe the article I provided the link for. I learned a long time ago that not everything you read on the internet is true.

#9 2009-12-15 10:57:24

lowonthetotem
Website

I think you will find that any of these "scholarly" articles identifying weed as a spiritual practice in this or that culture and or religion will be from sources similar to "Cannibis Culture," which obviously have an axe to grind.  Furthermore, I doubt there will be any objective articles from credible sources because there simply is no historical evidence out there making it worthwhile to even investigate this in any realistic fashion.

For whatever reason lots of pot-heads gravitate to Zen.  Now, I don't think that every pot head is an idiot, but I do think that there is a significant number of folks that engage in some rather spurious post hoq ergo procter hoq logic that seems to go something like this.

Pot is cool

Zen Practitioners are cool guys

Zen Practitioners must have smoked pot

The rest of their "evidence" seems to flow from this source with a rather revisionary perspective on history.  Of course, it is not really their fault.  High school and college introductions to psychology teach about meditative states along side drug induced states under a larger category called "Altered States of Consciousness."  At least that used to be the case way back when when I was in school.  However, associating weed, and other intoxicants, to any serious Buddhist practice is simply a pipe dream. I am not saying that serious Buddhists don't drink or smoke, but I imagine most would see such habits as hindrances to their practice in a broad sense.  wink

#10 2009-12-15 11:15:04

lowonthetotem
Website

The other thing that is totally misleading about that article is that Hemp for making cloth and ropes is the same plant as what pot-heads like to smoke.  However, I'd urge the writer of the article to puff on a piece of rope and then write about the results.

The manipulation of ambiguities like this scream of axe grinding rather than a desire to discover and record the truth.

Wearing hemp shoes and taking a few bong hits to "meditate" seem like vastly distinct practices.

#11 2009-12-15 11:28:24

Jim Thompson

Stoned or straight, it's still self-discipline that determines the outcome. There are too many very together and successful potheads for you too dismiss them all with a wave of your hand. Granted there is plenty of what your talking about going on, but there are other examples as well.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#12 2009-12-15 11:49:38

lowonthetotem
Website

There are too many very together and successful potheads for you too dismiss them all with a wave of your hand.

I know many of them, and am highly functional myself (at least that is my opinion wink).  However, this doesn't make the existence of some pot/Zen historical connection a reality, and I don't hear many of my "very together" friends making these kinds of assertions.  One of the pre-requisits for being "very together," it would seem, is the ability to accept it for what it is and use it rather than to create some mystique around it for the purposes of rationalization or validation.

#13 2009-12-15 12:09:15

Jim Thompson

I agree. To say there is a pot-zen connection implies they were smoking it when apparently they were just using it for rope. Big difference. Besides, the hemp that gets you high is not the same grade of hemp that makes good rope.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#14 2009-12-15 13:58:10

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

Gishin wrote:

Anyway if anyone have clear historical links to this it would be very interesting to know about this aspect of Shakuhachi

Dude, like look it up, it's all over the internet http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/101.html Now where did I park my car smile

Seriously, I'm not sure if I believe the article I provided the link for. I learned a long time ago that not everything you read on the internet is true.

Sorry but the article has no relevance to what the guy was preaching in the video or how those potheads are trying to twist facts for their own cause.

Hemp was and as far as I know still used in Japan. The usage was mostly to make textiles and some forms of paper.Never have I heard of smoking or eating for medicinal or recreation purpose. So the variety of hemp Japanese have is not of the narcotic variety. It just so pisses me off when people try to bend stuff just to suit their cause since in the end it makes all users of medicinal marijuana somehow be linked to all those Ftards.

The only real narcotics that cam to Japan was opium from China but when it was found to be very addictive they slammed down importers , users etc quite badly in those days.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#15 2009-12-16 09:48:30

lowonthetotem
Website

So the variety of hemp Japanese have is not of the narcotic variety.

There are two active compounds in dope.  THC is the one that everyone gets excited about.  The other starts with a C but I can't remember the name.  This compound is actually anti-psycho-active, meaning it actually suppresses the effects of THC.  The dope that is used for industrial and textile use is very low in THC and very high in the other compound, so it is actually anti-narcotic.

#16 2010-01-17 11:08:54

molado
Website

dear gishin,

"his assumptions seem self inveted fro his own purpose."

as yours?

"clear historical links to this it would be very interesting to know about this aspect of Shakuhachi but I higly doubt there is any tangible info to support his claims."

below is from the link i've provided.

Zen Hemp Haiku
Zen, the meditative, Taoist influenced branch of Buddhism, was also influenced by cannabis, in the forms of marijuana and hemp. Samurai and scholars who followed Zen's subtle tenets express cannabis' inspiration in arts like Haiku (short poems).

"idiots of his kind"

"can only bring more debate and prejudice"

such as?

"to the whole thing."

which is?

deeply,

molado

any fool can make one, yet not anyone can own one.

#17 2010-01-17 11:18:46

molado
Website

"Sorry but the article has no relevance to what the guy was preaching in the video or how those potheads are trying to twist facts for their own cause."

as i said, below is the direct quote from the article from your own country.

"Zen, the meditative, Taoist influenced branch of Buddhism, was also influenced by cannabis, in the forms of marijuana and hemp. Samurai and scholars who followed Zen's..."

the key word and the hint is "Taoist." gishin, please do more research on cannabis and zen. your stigma of being "high" has nothing to do with a method of meditation.

"Never have I heard of smoking or eating for medicinal or recreation purpose."

this has been done for thousands of years until only recently.

"pisses me off when"

are you surely a practitioner of zen?

"people try to bend stuff just to suit their cause"

which is?

"since in the end it makes all users of medicinal marijuana somehow be linked to all those Ftards."

before practicing zen, i suggest logic 101.

"The only real narcotics that cam to Japan was opium from China but when it was found to be very addictive they slammed down importers , users etc quite badly in those days."

you are keen with recent studies, yet you lack seriously in roots.

deeply,
molado

ps: next time, talk to me directly.

Last edited by molado (2010-01-17 11:19:42)

#18 2010-01-17 12:36:17

edosan
Edomologist

As everyone hereabouts is painfully aware, Gishin is our one true arbiter and spirtual guide for all things Zen.

Furthermore, he is fastidious in practicing what he preaches.

PS: Gishin doesn't do 'directly'.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#19 2010-01-17 13:53:34

lowonthetotem
Website

Molado seems to need some logic 101 lessons too.  Nothing but empty assertions without any scholarship or real evidence.  Sounds like another case of "Zen's cool, pot's cool, those Zen guys must have smoked pot."  I don't see a single Q & A couplet above that doesn't revel in the ambiguous.

Oh boy!  Gishin is my one true spiritual guide.  Man!  I was a bad bad boy in previous life.

Let's see if our guide has a sense of humor about him.

#20 2010-01-17 14:56:19

STUPID HIPPY

Man.......it was truly a bummer and I had to chill with some 'ludes afterwards but reading Gishin's posts makes me think "anger management required". But then I watched Molado's video and it made me feel so good. I am glad to see that scholars and historians have verified my personal insights.

Zen and Bamboo are one. Or is it two? Far out.

#21 2010-01-17 15:32:19

radi0gnome
Website

It feels sacrilegious for me to blow smoke in my shakuhachi...

#22 2010-01-17 16:55:57

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Molado.

You should consider yourself lucky or even grateful I am even answering your senseless jibberish.

There is NO evidence or historical facts that support your bullshit period. Now do I have evidence myself humm well all I can say is that in all credible books on Japanese History and Religion I possess or have had the chance to read at libraries etc I have never seen or heard anything close to what you are saying.

So all I would like to call you is a retard but that would be respectful to mentally challenged people and this is a thing I should not do. So people that know me have seen me use the term Fucktard and this is exactly what fits your personality.

If you want to smoke pot do it i have no issue with that but don't try to bend and twist the truth for your own bullshit.

꺼져라 !

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#23 2010-01-17 17:43:39

radi0gnome
Website

molado wrote:

below is from the link i've provided.

What link?

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

#24 2010-01-17 18:04:20

molado
Website

gishin,

"You should consider yourself lucky or even grateful"

why?

"I am even"

who are you?

"answering your senseless jibberish."

please elaborate.

"There is NO evidence or historical facts that support your bullshit period."

because you couldn't find on the web? or because you didn't have a true master?

"Now do I have evidence myself humm well all I can say is that in all credible books on Japanese History and Religion I possess or have had the chance to read at libraries etc I have never seen or heard anything close to what you are saying."

therefore, what i am saying is not true? you are limited, aren't you?

"So all I would like to call you is a retard but that would be respectful to mentally challenged people and this is a thing I should not do."

stupid is stupid does, says mr. forest. gishin, just because you dress up like a monk, that doesn't mean that you are a true meditator or zen practitioner. your prejudgement in any case in your life probably hindered your perspective. i do feel sorry for you.

"So people that know me have seen me use the term Fucktard and this is exactly what fits your personality."

again, logic 101 please. also, name calling won't help your personality. don't you know you are what you call others?

"If you want to smoke pot do it i have no issue with that"

really? it surely doesn't seem so. it seems you are only the one given the right to use cannabis.

"but don't try to bend and twist the truth for your own bullshit."

what's the truth that i am trying to bend btw?

"꺼져라 !"

this is written in korean, used in very low class manner. your prejudice and prejudgement towards people and life only have been plaguing you. i suggest to learn their culture before bad words.

deeply,
molado

#25 2010-01-17 18:17:49

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi Molado, welcome to the forum.

Could you please post the actual link to the scholarly paper which purports to show that komuso hit the bong while doing suizen?

And your video doesn't have any of your playing, I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear that so we can see where you're coming from as a shakuhachi player.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer