Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-22 13:26:24

airin
Website

Affordable mic for recording to PC?

I looking for an affordable mic that I can use with my PC to record some simple (as in 'beginner') shakuhachi playing.  The idea is to share the music with friends and family, given it is going to be pretty substandard relative to most shakuhachi recordings, and therefore I don't want these samples to go to far nor do I want to get too involved in doing the recordings.

I currently use an older digital recorder from which I can upload files to my PC however the sound quality is very poor, there's all kinds of hissing and other background sounds even when recorded in a totally quiet room.

So I'd like to buy a mic for my PC so I can record directly to the computer and then manipulate the sound files from there.  Is there such a thing or am I totally heading off in the wrong direction for what I want to do?

When doing some searchs, (nods to Edosan, "yes, I did try to do my homework first, Dad") but didn't really find any current threads that addressed this specific need (ok, ok, maybe I just didn't use all the possible search terms and could've missed something....nod again to Edosan).

#2 2009-12-22 14:07:48

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: Affordable mic for recording to PC?

To get decent results you will need this USB microphone

http://revolutionaudio.ca/store/product … cts_id=750

And then you will need this software to tweak the volume etc afterwards.

http://revolutionaudio.ca/store/product … cts_id=553

So with this you can achieve pro recordings of a single instrument like Shakuhachi but in the end the investment will be around 300$ I dont think that you will get anything better for a lower price and the cheaper you go the crappier it wil get.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#3 2009-12-22 14:27:18

radi0gnome
Website

airin wrote:

I looking for an affordable mic that I can use with my PC to record some simple (as in 'beginner') shakuhachi playing.  The idea is to share the music with friends and family, given it is going to be pretty substandard relative to most shakuhachi recordings, and therefore I don't want these samples to go to far nor do I want to get too involved in doing the recordings.

I currently use an older digital recorder from which I can upload files to my PC however the sound quality is very poor, there's all kinds of hissing and other background sounds even when recorded in a totally quiet room.

So I'd like to buy a mic for my PC so I can record directly to the computer and then manipulate the sound files from there.  Is there such a thing or am I totally heading off in the wrong direction for what I want to do?

When doing some searchs, (nods to Edosan, "yes, I did try to do my homework first, Dad") but didn't really find any current threads that addressed this specific need (ok, ok, maybe I just didn't use all the possible search terms and could've missed something....nod again to Edosan).

I second the USB mic solution. However, if you already have one of those inexpensive headset mics you might want to give that a try first. Audacity is a pretty good very popular free recording software, although if you buy a USB mic you might as well use the software that comes packaged with it.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#4 2009-12-22 14:48:16

dust

Hi airin,

the software that you need is audacity it's for recording and editing.. simple to use and powerful.. and free

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

smile

john.

imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

#5 2009-12-22 15:20:15

nyokai
shihan
Website

For a very cheap USB mic, I recommend the Blue Snowball -- it's what I use for online lessons. Excellent sound for the price (something like $75 US). And for software, yes, Audacity is excellent and free.

#6 2009-12-22 15:57:47

airin
Website

Thanks for the suggestions guys, exactly what I was hoping for!

Ah, yes, audacity, I used to use that to edit podcasts.....good program indeed, thanks for reminding me.

Nyokai, I like the looks and the reviews on the Blue Snowball, good idea.  I'm going to go hunting to see if I can get a xmas or boxing day kind of price on it, fingers crossed.

#7 2009-12-22 16:36:18

Matt Lyon

I have a Blue Snowball and like it.

#8 2009-12-23 10:36:37

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

I use a samson c03 USB microphone, wich isn't too expensive and suits my needs. I got it 2nd hand for less.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

Board footer