Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-31 11:12:42

lowonthetotem
Website

Baby New Year Needs his Bottle

So it is the ultimate "get smashed" day here in the US (aside from St Patty's).  I am kind of surprised I am not drinking yet.  I just wondered what everyone was doing to celebrate.  I imagine our friend in Austalia is well on his way, and I imagine I will be in no shape to type once our friend in San Francisco begins his revelries.

I am planning on bourbon with beer, as usual.  What is everyone else having?  Just curious.

Are there any unique traditions you will be observing?  We usually stay home since all the crazies are out on this night.  We much prefer to hit the bars during the rest of the year (especially weeknights) when all the rest of the real alcoholics are out doing their drinking.

Of course, tomorrow will bring a pledge to sobriety, piety, and hard work (we'll see how long it lasts).

What are your resolutions?  I am hoping to do away with a bad habit or two, drink less, practice shakuhachi more, and lose some more weight.  My wife gave me two new pairs of shoes for Xmas.  Yes, it's a hillbilly Xmas for us ignorant red necks.  Actually, they are both running shoes, and I want to make a pledge to utterly wear them both out by June.  We'll see.  That would would be about 40 miles a week.  I'm just pushing 30 now.

Happy New Year, bitches!  I use that as a term of endearment, of course.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#2 2009-12-31 11:37:21

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Baby New Year Needs his Bottle

lowonthetotem wrote:

What are your resolutions?  I am hoping to do away with a bad habit or two, drink less, practice shakuhachi more, and lose some more weight...

Hitting the Yoga mat tomorrow morning at 8am - more Hot Yoga in 2010!
Happy New year!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2009-12-31 13:15:43

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Off to get some Vietnamese Pho for breakfast. Party tonight at a friends place in the neighborhood. Crab, rib roast, martini, wine. Maybe a stop at our neighborhood bar "The Riptide" late.

Happy New Year all!

#4 2009-12-31 14:19:11

jamesnyman

Minimal drinking, maybe some good single malt Highland scotch or a few local Texas brews. Going to bed fairly early as I will be up in the AM tomorrow to ride my bike 60+ miles through the Texas hill country with many close friends to celebrate the New Year.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#5 2009-12-31 14:19:49

nyokai
shihan
Website

Boston, blizzard, New Year's Eve performance on shakuhachi in a beautiful venue!
Have never gotten to play shakuhachi on New Year's Eve before, it's always been keyboards for drinkers, so this is auspicious.
Resolutions: keep working on right speech, which after all these years continues to be the hardest precept for me, and make more money.

#6 2009-12-31 15:45:06

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

yes, lots of snow in MA, that kind of kills the plans to go out. But, for me its practice/composition/yoga..Thats the plans for next year also.
I am planing also to make a band that plays Bollywood music. Just meet the singer today (indian doctor;-) The guy could sing!

#7 2009-12-31 16:07:39

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

I am planning on bourbon with beer, as usual.  What is everyone else having?  Just curious.

Are there any unique traditions you will be observing?  We usually stay home since all the crazies are out on this night.  We much prefer to hit the bars during the rest of the year (especially weeknights) when all the rest of the real alcoholics are out doing their drinking.

Well I will get all dressed up in my monkey suit for the relatives and some japanese people that need my services Koromo , kesa Juban, fundoshi etc then ring the traditional 108 bells read the related sutras etc then after that take all that stuff off and get dressed in Samue for some serious action.

For me it will be Shochu all the way since we cannot find Baekseju here in Quebec and we are already lucky to get Shochu since last year. After the Shochu I will play some Guqin late at night in the dojo when i get to be alone after all that circus.

Ho and if ever by a twisted situation we both end up in jail at the same time YOU will be my bitch wink!

Happy new year to you all!

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#8 2009-12-31 19:02:46

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

It is now 10:30 AM on New Years Day. We had a "progressive dinner" last night which means you start at one house, have a course, drink, move to the next house repeatedly for about 8 hours. Then fireworks, bubbly and smoking a cigar. I played "Auld Lang Syne" on shakuhachi for the masses.Listening to Jimmy Giuffre.

Today the auspicious Sri Lankan tradition is Kiribath and Seeni Sambol. Kiribath="milk rice" (coconut milk indicates prosperity) and onion chutney (caramelized onions, chilis, curry leaves and dried fish flakes). Good way to start the year. We have gotten the neighbors into eating it.

Did not hammer the booze too heavily last nite, so ready to face the year with courage.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#9 2009-12-31 19:19:36

lowonthetotem
Website

First, I am way too pretty to go to jail!

Second, I am rather disappointed at how sober I still am.

Finally, I have a bottle of bourbon and some hard core fireworks (the mortar/artillery shell kind, not sissy bottle rockets).  I really hate the red-neck steryotype but sometimes it just creeps up on me, although I am relatively sure I won't be busting out the shotgun at midnight for random shots into the sky.  Still, drunken fireworks, hmmm.  Maybe I am more of a hick than I think.  I will inform everyone about any major burns or fires in the morning.

Tomorrow, we will be having the obligatory black-eyed peas and greens, the logic being if you start the year with such a poor meal things can only get better (I think it also has something to do with greens being the same color as money, Phil are you listening).  I usually have collards, but I have a bumper crop of turnips in the back yard.  So, it will be turnip greens this year.  We grew black-eyed peas over the summer, and I may still have some.  If not, I may have to run to the sto'.

Last edited by lowonthetotem (2009-12-31 19:22:00)

#10 2009-12-31 20:33:41

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Mujitsu wrote:

Off to get some Vietnamese Pho for breakfast. Party tonight at a friends place in the neighborhood. Crab, rib roast, martini, wine. Maybe a stop at our neighborhood bar "The Riptide" late.

Happy New Year all!

Knowing your neighborhood, I can run through all this in my mind's eye. Sounds like fun!

#11 2009-12-31 20:49:34

purehappiness

Yungflutes wrote:

lowonthetotem wrote:

Hitting the Yoga mat tomorrow morning at 8am - more Hot Yoga in 2010!
Happy New year!

Yoga sounds like a great way to start the new year. I did a hike in the woods to the top of a cliff today. What a view with all the new snow.I got to see some of the connecticut valley in all of its glory.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-12-31 20:50:01)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#12 2009-12-31 23:01:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

Tomorrow, we will be having the obligatory black-eyed peas and greens, the logic being if you start the year with such a poor meal things can only get better (I think it also has something to do with greens being the same color as money, Phil are you listening). .

In Italy we always ate lentils for New Years, which represents coins for the upcoming year. Seems like a cross cultural thing to eat legumes for good luck at this time of year.

#13 2010-01-01 00:15:57

lowonthetotem
Website

Guten Rutsch

We have German neighbors.  No major burns or fires yet but only my rounds have expired.  Many booms all around us, like war zone where you don't have to fear for your life.  WEIRD and COOL.  Midnight here.  Enjoy other time zones.

I think the bean thing started in Europe.  I think the green thing is 100% American, but I could be wrong.  You'd have to have green money to make sense of it.

#14 2010-01-01 02:18:30

edosan
Edomologist

Viz:

http://www.luckymojo.com/newyearbean.html

And furthermore:

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguide … luckyfoods

Last edited by edosan (2010-01-01 02:22:00)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#15 2010-01-01 08:30:56

lowonthetotem
Website

Well the sobriety will have to wait a day.  We forgot we had a bottle of M/C in the fridge chilling for midnight (That should be an indicator of our state of mind), so it is mimosas for breakfast.  Although, my liver is screaming for beans and greens.

#16 2010-01-01 14:28:17

Elliot K
Website

Mina-san, akemashite omedetou gozaimasu.

In the AM we headed to SF for the annual bell-ringing ceremony at the Asian.We had a fairly quiet evening with a few neighbors coming by (an effort to keep folks off the roads on amateur night). I, too, wound up playing Auld Lang Syne (from Kinko notation, of course!). After killing off a few bottles of bubbly (can't rightfully call it "champagne" now, can we?) we wound up the night with a few wee drams of Lagavulin 12 (in honor of the new year), followed by Lagavulin 18 (in honor of the old). In bed by 4AM...

And here's to a better Year of the Tiger for you and yours.

#17 2010-01-01 16:36:01

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Elliot K wrote:

) we wound up the night with a few wee drams of Lagavulin 12 (in honor of the new year), followed by Lagavulin 18 (in honor of the old).

We had Lagavulin 16 down here in Tasmania, so we covered all their age statements while blowing Auld Lang on the shakuhachi.

#18 2010-01-01 17:50:29

waryr

No liquor for me this year. Had to attend a funeral early in the day, and was bushed on arrival home and not in the mood.

Celebrated midnight with  one of my favorite 1.8 Jinashi hocciku-raw root end sans utaguchi inlay-in the rain on my back screened in lanai. Neighborhood is semi rural, so plenty of fireworks in the sky (even in the rain).

Peaceful and prosperous New Year to all you Shaku-philes on the list.

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

#19 2010-01-01 18:28:33

jaybeemusic

I had a gig with my band last night for about 1000 crazy canucks.... didn't really want to be away from the family.... but it was too much money to pass up....Didn't get too liquored....still had to drive home.  But i played Kyorei as soon as i got up this morning...i guess that counts for something.

peace and prosperity to all.......and ROCK ON!!!

Jacques

Last edited by jaybeemusic (2010-01-01 18:30:44)

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#20 2010-01-01 18:49:11

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

My wife and I had a quiet New Years eve as all the kids were in other places doing louder things I suppose.  We toasted the new year and ate soba noodles.  In the morning we hiked up to the shrine at the top of the mountain we live on and prayed.  After that, we went to our local hot spring bath for the 'hatsu-buro' or first bath of the year, soaked in the outdoor, rock bath with increasing numbers of naked bodies enjoying the exquisite view of the Ariake Sea and the active volcano Unzen in the near distance.  All is good.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#21 2010-01-02 10:35:54

Kohl
Website

Happy New Year to all. I hazard to write this because it puts into hard evidence just how square this old punk kid has become! smile Nonetheless...I did Rohatsu sesshin at the Monastery. For those that might not know what this is, it's a more rigorous version of a week long meditation intensive. At the place I practice, it starts the day after Christmas and then we sit later each night, culminating with meditating past midnight on New Year's Eve. Then, party! Okay, truth be told, for me it was, sleep!wink It's intense, but seriously worth it. I love launching into a new year this way. Feels good. Didn't do it last year. Man, it was a very different year. Then, I came home on the 1st and played RO Buki for a while. With an awareness wide open from all the zazen, felt like I learned more about my sound and my flute in those 20 minutes than in a few hours of less focused practice. It was cool.

Alright. Wishing all well.

"I begin to feel the depths of a bamboo path..."
                              Meng Hao-Jan (689-740)

#22 2010-01-02 11:10:28

philthefluter
Website

Here's a unique way to ring in the New Year from Switzerland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbaFp_vyAjk

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#23 2010-01-02 11:12:01

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Fun to hear how everyone celebrated New years! smile
I was one of the organisers of the New Year's party here at the meditation center where I live. We had a mixture of Canadian buffet where people bought starters, desserts and food to eat with the main course. And we had some lam and salmon made here in our big kitchen. It is a tradition here in Denmark to eat cod for New Years... good - I suppose - after all the fatty Christmas food - but nobody wants to do that anymore.
We have a few professional comedians here at the centre who did some entertainment for us + an opera singer who did quite a few songs for/with us.
After the compulsory champagne at midnight (and jumping into the new year - another Danish tradition. It is actually quite fun to see children and adults alike finding chairs, tables... what-ever they can jump from into the new year exactly on midnight) and the fireworks, we all went in for a 20 minute meditation. A nice way to begin a year... even after a few drinks.

Anyway, that was how I spent New Year Eve in the middle of nowhere at the meditation center.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#24 2010-01-02 11:12:18

lowonthetotem
Website

I managed to sober up by noon and made it to the new year's Sangha gathering.  I had not sat with my group for several months, so it was good to see folks.  We wrote our regrets for the year on cards along with our intentions on another card.  We burned the regrets while the bell was rung 108 times and saved the intentions to pin on a wall somewhere to review throughout the year.  Afterwards we had some fun, sweets, and tea.  Several ladies sang songs for us, another lady read a nice poem she wrote, and I played Tsuki in honor of the Blue Moon New Year.  It was fun.  I should try to go more often.

Last edited by lowonthetotem (2010-01-02 11:13:08)

#25 2010-01-02 11:16:23

lowonthetotem
Website

Silversterklausen seems really cool.  As kids we used to run through the neighborhood banging pots and pans together at midnight.  Maybe there is some correlation.

Board footer