World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-06 11:36:35

Michael A. Firman
Website

Looking for shakuhachi notation for MatsuriKa

Hi,

There is (apparently) a piece (in two parts) for Koto and Shakuhachi called Matsurika ("Flower Festival") by a composer K. Yoshizaki. A Koto player friend of mine asked me if I could find the Shakuhachi notation for it (she wants to play it with me). I found a piece by that name on a recording (CD) titled Japan Dreaming (with Carl Rathus and Shigeru Yomei Nakajima playing Shakuhachi) but I don't know if it is the same piece yet (I ordered, but haven't received the CD yet). Anyway, does anyone know the piece and know where I can get the score in either Kinko (preferred), Tozan, or five line? It's not listed on Komuso.com and Google searches have turned up nothing (save for the above mentioned CD).

Thanks

Michael A. Firman
Naperville IL USA

#2 2010-01-26 14:37:33

axolotl
Website

Re: Looking for shakuhachi notation for MatsuriKa

Hey Michael,

Jim Thompson is my teacher and is teaching me this piece.  You should contact him. 

cheers!

#3 2010-01-26 21:28:41

Jim Thompson

Michael A. Firman wrote:

Hi,

There is (apparently) a piece (in two parts) for Koto and Shakuhachi called Matsurika ("Flower Festival") by a composer K. Yoshizaki. A Koto player friend of mine asked me if I could find the Shakuhachi notation for it (she wants to play it with me). I found a piece by that name on a recording (CD) titled Japan Dreaming (with Carl Rathus and Shigeru Yomei Nakajima playing Shakuhachi) but I don't know if it is the same piece yet (I ordered, but haven't received the CD yet). Anyway, does anyone know the piece and know where I can get the score in either Kinko (preferred), Tozan, or five line? It's not listed on Komuso.com and Google searches have turned up nothing (save for the above mentioned CD).

Thanks

Hi Michael,
   I'm not sure but I suspect I have what you are looking for.  The C.D. I have is a copy so I have no details but Part 1 is track 1 and part 2 is track 8.  I will send the shakuhachi score(Tozan) to your e-mail address in the next 24 hours. Hope it's what you are looking for.
                                        Jim

Last edited by Jim Thompson (2010-01-26 21:51:59)

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#4 2010-01-27 18:22:54

Michael A. Firman
Website

Jim Thompson wrote:

Michael A. Firman wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Hi Michael,
   I'm not sure but I suspect I have what you are looking for.  The C.D. I have is a copy so I have no details but Part 1 is track 1 and part 2 is track 8.  I will send the shakuhachi score(Tozan) to your e-mail address in the next 24 hours. Hope it's what you are looking for.
                                        Jim

Jim and all. Thanks, I should have posted this earlier, but I have obtained a copy of the pieces and a recording of them. I was
directed to someone off the list who had the score and my Koto playing friend had a recording. Again thanks though.

Michael A. Firman
Naperville IL USA

Board footer