Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-08 05:28:28

Bogert

Ueda-ryu

I have been kind of interested in the Ueda-ryu for a while.  Has anyone studied with this school?  It doesn't seem very big. 
I've been to one concert where the Ueda-ryu was represented.  I really enjoyed it. 
I also just got a limted printing of Ueda Hodo's notation book.  It seems he studied with Jin Nyodo as two of the honkyoku are written by Jin Nyodo.  All of the pieces in it are Honkyoku.   

Anyway, thought we could learn some more about this school, seems interesting.  I have one CD of Ueda-ryu music.  The Ueda honkyoku have a very koten honkyoku feel to them, very nice and some are koten honkyoku. 

Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2010-01-08 10:41:07

Matt Lyon

Re: Ueda-ryu

Where did you get the notation?

#3 2010-01-08 13:08:21

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Just a side-ways remark on the Ueda-Ryu conversation.
At the November '09 great Kurahashi Yodo Recital, in Kyoto, all of the "titles" written at the side of the stage were written by the current Ueda-Ryu Iemoto (Head of the "school", or lineage). The current head (Iemoto) of Chikuho-Ryu - SHODO SAKAI, performed as well as other illustrious Shakuhachi, Koto, and Shamisen Masters.

You could contact Kurahashi Yodo for more information, or perhaps notation, concerning Ueda-Ryu and it's History.

If you don't have his email and need it, contact me <nyogetsu@gmail.com> for it offline.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#4 2010-01-09 04:36:08

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Quoting Tukitani Tuneko:

Ueda-ryū honkyoku

Ueda Hōdō, a disciple of Nakao Tozan, left to found his own school in 1917. He left over a hundred honkyoku, often quite similar to Tozan's. Again, ensemble honkyoku predominate. Some honkyoku classed as 'new shakuhachi music' are composed by Ueda's friend Fukuda Randō (1906-76) (for example Miyama higurashi, 1927)...

Representative Ueda honkyoku include Samidare* (1911; solo with rhythmic ostinato obbligato), Momiji nishiki (1915; ensemble), Kogarashi* (1917; solo), Ochiba* (1925; solo close to classical honkyoku style), Aoba kage (1913; 'new shakuhachi music') and Yuki no Yuru* (1832; solo in four dan). The asterisked itmes are on the LP Ueda-ryū shakuhachi-dō honkyoku).

Tukitani, Tuneko. 2008. The Shakuhachi and Its Music. In The Ashgate Companion to Japanese Music, edited by Alison McQueen Tokita and David W. Hughes. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2010-01-09 04:40:01

Bogert

I got the notation from the Ueda-ryu.  It turns out the main place for the Ueda-ryu is about 20 min from my house : )
I bought some more notation and the Iemoto said I can study with him if I want to. 
So I might just do that in the near future.. I'm kinda busy with other shakuhachi lessons right now though.

Nyogetsu,
Oh, how was that Recital?  I really wanted to go... but had to work : P
I saw Kurahashi play about a week before that though.  Still an awesome player (I used to study with him when I lived in Kyoto).
My fiancee is not a big shakuhachi fan, only if Kurahashi is playing she will go with me to the concerts.

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#6 2010-01-09 22:36:08

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

The concert was truly amazing !!
I know that he was able to do some kind of recording, and I hope that it will become available for all to listen to.

For anyone who is on the East Coast of the USA, he will be doing his first major solo recital in New York on January 23rd, at the Tenri Cultural Institute, at 43a West 13th Street, in the West Village. Contact me if you need more info .

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

Board footer