Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-05-10 10:44:56

KenC

Sound, playability differences.

I didn;t wish to hijack Geni's thread so thought i'd post this new one along a like question.

I've been playing with a Yuu for 3-4 months and recently started seeing a teacher.  Last week she gave me a Mejiro Hardwood Kinko Shakuhachi Mon to try out.  I noticed some interesting things and would be interested in comments.

Firtsly i noticed i seem to get more volume from the Yuu.  The Mon seems to handle my "range" better in that i can play a much better Sasa Buki  and, and i seem to be able to Meri better with the Mon. The Yuu, more volume but harder to get the softer lows. 

It's taken a few days to get used to the Mon and it seems it has forced me to improve my Embrouche.  I was having to vent the thumb hole (on the Yuu) to get a decent Kan but after playing the Mon for a while i seem to be able to get Ro, Tsu, and Re in Kan much better without the "trick".

One physical difference i notice is bore on the blowing end on the Yuu seems larger in diameter than the Mon. The shape and effective  edge of the Utaguchi seem smaller also(Mon).

Are these typical of the differences one finds? 

Ken

#2 2006-05-29 19:12:29

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Sound, playability differences.

I am making my own flutes from black bamboo, a relatively softer bamboo and consequently a sound perhaps described as 'blunt' or 'less crisp', or less resonance, but still a lovely sound.
In making each flute I begin with similar processing of the bore, the utaguchi and holes, but each flute is always different and I have to approach the way it is played individually. Of course there are similarities, but the differences are in the umbouchure mainly, the angle, the size of the air column, the intensity of the blow, the closeness to the edge. I think the reasons for this are several. the overall shape of the pore, as the sound resonates it is affected by all aspects of the bore and when the resonance is altered by a new finger placement or blow intensity, the overall 'balance' is affected, but each flute is affected a little differently.
So you should find differences in the two flutes you mention, the plastic gives a different resonance to the wood, which will also be different to bamboo, and as mentioned, different bamboos will give differing resonances.
In time you will get to have a preference, or like to have a variety, not only in lengths but in timbre.

I am considering making flutes from ceramic, as I have been a potter for 25 years, that will be interesting.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

Board footer