Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-10 04:47:56

clint shearer

looking for a shakuhachi teacher in Japan, Nagano prefecture

My name is clint and I'm from New Zealand. I am currently living in Hakuba, Nagano prefecture, Japan. Last year I acquired a shakuhachi. I was heavily influenced by a friend who played, and was entranced by the feeling of the sound that it produces. I come to Japan for a few reasons, a main one is that I wish to see live performances or meet someone who is also interested in the shakuhachi.

I am also interested in finding a dojo to teach me and clear me from my bad playing habits.

At the moment I can make notes with the range of two octaves. I can bend a note but not with to much control. I play a 2.8 made by :

http://www.hosetsu.com/special_order_a_meditation_.html

but believe this is not ideal to begin and learn on. I would be keen to find a 1.8 if instruction was available.

Is anyone able to guide me in any way to other players or performances at present?

kind regards
clint shearer

#2 2010-01-10 09:30:05

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: looking for a shakuhachi teacher in Japan, Nagano prefecture

Hi Clint.

When I saw you are in Nagano prefecture I immediately thought of Kodama Hiroyuki as a possible teacher. But you live in the Northern part of Nagano and he lives in the southern part.... I tried to look at directions in google map between Iida City, Nagano Prefecture, Japan where Kodama lives and Hakuba Village, Kitaazumi District, Nagano Prefecture, Japan where I think you live. But it looks like a train journey would take 5 hours.... Perhaps there is something faster to Nagano city itself and from there it should be easier.

Kodama is one of Okuda Atsuya's best students. He plays wonderfully and is also an excellent maker.
In case you would like to contact him despite the long journey time you can email him here: ban-noku_at_f2.dion.ne.jp
or if you email me (kiku@kikuday.com) I can give you his phone no too.

Tom Deaver, the shakuhachi maker lives just nearby Kodama.

Good luck finding a teacher! smile

Last edited by Kiku Day (2010-01-10 09:35:06)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2010-01-10 19:51:38

Glenn Swann
Website

I know there is a shakuhachi teacher near karuizawa in nagano- don't know details, just noticed his ad in the local paper when i was there last summer.... if it is of interest i could find out more. send a message to me, if interested.

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#4 2010-01-12 21:51:37

clint shearer

Kiku Day: Thank you so much for your information and efforts, very much appreciated. From what info I have gained so far it seems that there is a concentrated amount of dojos further south in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Kyushu areas. I'm in Hakuba til march so somehow will have to try and push for extended stay in japan and explore a little more. I'm looking forward to seeing traditional culture and music, hopefully soon.

Glenn Swann: I appreciate you efforts too, when I get the chance to travel south I'll see about teachers in the karuizawa area. Thanks

#5 2010-01-12 22:54:22

Jam

Clint, if you ever venture over the border into Aichi, feel free to drop me an email and we can have a chat/beer. smile

Board footer