Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-21 21:36:54

Jam

Shakuhachi and Judo

No, this isn't a thread to say that I think the two are intrinsically linked, so relax and put down your pitchforks and torches!

I found this really good video of Judo techniques on youtube, looking for tactics. The video itself is fantastic, but as an added bonus it has a nice shakuhachi piece as the background music. I can't place it, I was wondering if someone else could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgeXaWap … eature=fvw

Cheers!

#2 2010-01-21 23:03:03

Jim Thompson

Re: Shakuhachi and Judo

Jam wrote:

it has a nice shakuhachi piece as the background music. I can't place it, I was wondering if someone else could

Cheers!

After the Snow the Fragrance by Tony Scott. The title pops up on my screen sometimes and sometimes  not.  It is apparently available as an Amazon.com mp3.  I wonder why that pop up only happens occasionally.

Last edited by Jim Thompson (2010-01-21 23:12:22)

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#3 2010-01-21 23:23:15

Jam

Great, thanks for your help. I've never heard of Tony Scott before, should I have? To be releasing a shakuhachi cd in the 60s he must have started learning much earlier.

#4 2010-01-22 00:40:31

edosan
Edomologist

Jim Thompson wrote:

Jam wrote:

it has a nice shakuhachi piece as the background music. I can't place it, I was wondering if someone else could

Cheers!

After the Snow the Fragrance by Tony Scott. The title pops up on my screen sometimes and sometimes  not.  It is apparently available as an Amazon.com mp3.  I wonder why that pop up only happens occasionally.

Actually, Jim, I must correct you on that a bit. The piece is from Tony Scott (who is--or was, don't know if he's alive now--a great Jazz clarinetist), and the album is Music for Zen Meditation, a classic from 1964. The piece is 'A Quivering Leaf, Ask the Winds' (After the Snow, the Fragrance is also on the album; it's a koto/clarinet piece.). The interesting part is that it's played by Hozan Yamamoto; Scott asks him to improvise something solo, and Yamamoto improvised (egad!) a Honkyoku on the spot. The entire album is improvised, with clarinet, koto, and shakuhachi, in various combinations.

A must have, IMO, even though it's not strictly a shakuhachi album. Wonderfully enough, it's available on iTunes.

Last edited by edosan (2010-01-22 00:42:27)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2010-01-22 01:18:10

Jim Thompson

Thanks, Ed. That makes sense because I had never heard of Tony Scott playing shakuhachi.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

Board footer