Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-24 15:01:01

Rick Riekert

Kurahashi Yodo II at Tenri

Great concert last evening with Kurahashi at the Tenri Cultural Institute in NYC. Kurahashi played 7 honkyoku including a brilliant duet version of Shika no Tone with Jim Schlefer. Jim began his deer cry anonymously from offstage, then to the audience's delight emerged from the wings to join Kurahashi center stage. Also joining Kurahashi was marimbist Tomoko Inaba. They played "Shikyoku: Poem I" by the late Japanese composer Matsumura Teizo. Most people may know this composition from a recording by Yokoyama and Sawai Tadao. Played on marimba it obviously takes on a very different, and to my ears very enjoyable, sound. Kurahashi finished the program with the difficult and virtuosic Renpoken/Kizenken Tsuru no Sugomori. It was no problem for the Master. Once the bird had flown and the applause died down I turned to my wife who reminded me that tomorrow was Sunday and I could practice the shakuhachi all day.

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#2 2010-01-24 18:43:57

Jam

Re: Kurahashi Yodo II at Tenri

You have a very understanding wife!

#3 2010-01-24 20:12:57

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Rick Riekert wrote:

Great concert last evening with Kurahashi at the Tenri Cultural Institute in NYC. Kurahashi played 7 honkyoku including a brilliant duet version of Shika no Tone with Jim Schlefer. Jim began his deer cry anonymously from offstage, then to the audience's delight emerged from the wings to join Kurahashi center stage.

Loved it! I thought the duo should make a new shakuhachi team called the Jimyodo duet smile

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/jimyodo.jpg

Everything was just right. Kurahashi Sensei demonstrated an effortless command of the entire spectrum of shakuhachi sounds, from a whisper to a scream. The last piece of the evening, Tsuru no Sugomori, was my personal favorite with a healthy, virtuosic serving of Tamane. Kyorei Played on a 2.2 or 2.3 Jinashi nobekan was a close runner up.

Then for icing on the cake, I enjoyed hanging out with Jim, Ronnie, students and the master himself for Paella de Marisco and Sangria!

Jam wrote:

You have a very understanding wife!

My wife climbed a mountain side with me on a bamboo hunt in Kyushu. Then we ran from a huge black wild boar!

Charles, it was nice to finally meet you. Sorry to hear about the sad club vibe. You sort of have to live in NYC to know where the real dives are:)

Last edited by Yungflutes (2010-01-24 20:19:14)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2010-01-24 20:13:37

radi0gnome
Website

Yes, it was an awesome experience. Aside from a brilliant performance every big name in the NYC shakuhachi world was there. Less awesome was the blues club me and my SO hit up afterwards. Not that the band and ambience there wasn't great, but that 2 drink minimum per set isn't conducive to practicing the next day smile

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer