Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-02-01 22:42:00

Jam

Pets, eating meat, vegetarianism, etc.

I lost my king charles last week after 14 years. To be honest I'm absolutely devastated still, I think perhaps this is magnified by the fact I didn't get to say goodbye properly as I'm in another country.

Those of you that have pets, cherish every moment, you never know when they might be taken away. Scratch your dog/cat/other animal behind the ear for me today (if they have ears...)..

Does anyone know any good funereal type pieces? I've heard Tamuke is a piece wishing for safe passage.

For those of you that are saying "pfft, it's just a dog", you don't have to post in here.

Last edited by Jam (2010-02-01 22:43:29)

#2 2010-02-01 23:24:49

airin
Website

Re: Pets, eating meat, vegetarianism, etc.

Oh I know that feeling of loss only to keenly. 

In my case, I think I'd just play Ro...long and low....

#3 2010-02-01 23:26:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Tamuke, Eko and Banshiki.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2010-02-02 09:19:56

Vevolis
Website

I'm very sorry for your loss. Our daschund slept in the bed last night & after our alarm(s) miraculously didn't go off this morning, the kitten outside our bedroom door woke us up. Our pets are an integral part of our family.

My dog doesn't respond to anything sorrowful or with a higher pitch, maybe it agitates him, he tries to hop up and lick the shakuhachi when I play Ro though smile

#5 2010-02-02 11:07:49

Zakarius

Jam wrote:

Those of you that have pets, cherish every moment, you never know when they might be taken away. Scratch your dog/cat/other animal behind the ear for me today (if they have ears...)..

I took the opportunity today to play with all of my pets on your behest. It might sound strange that I put it so, as I have a LOT of pets and don't play with all of them daily: 4 dogs, 2 cats, 7 red-eared sliders (semi-aquatic turtles), 100 fish (including some lungfishes which like to be pet) and 2 toads. It was an especially enjoyable day as my: dogs got chewy treats, cats had a little catnip, turtles snacked on some crispy worms and fish had fresh shrimp. (So that you don't think I forgot my toads... the weather recently has been in the 20s C (80s F), so they surely gobbled up some mosquitoes at dusk.)

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#6 2010-02-02 11:41:01

purehappiness

I am a dog lover and feel your loss. We are never ready for such a thing no matter how hard we try to prepare ourselves for it.My dogs sleep in bed with us too. They are the best companions anyone can have.

Last edited by purehappiness (2010-02-02 11:42:20)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#7 2010-02-02 13:34:15

edosan
Edomologist

Buster (still a young un here) sends his sincere condolences for your loss, as do I.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/930/10904a.jpg

Very sad to be away from your dog at this time...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#8 2010-02-02 13:41:30

Elliot K
Website

You have our condolences as well. We know all too well what you're going through...
Play Tamuke and be good to yourself...

#9 2010-02-02 14:54:05

Moran from Planet X
Website

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4325347275_6ef156c0c6_o.jpg

Amanda wags hello from the other side.

I don't know when she passed.

My first wife took her to New Mexico when she left me.

Boy, I miss that dog.

(p.s. Sorry about the hat on the avatar. Tairaku is making me wear it.)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#10 2010-02-02 19:25:00

Jam

Thanks everyone for your replies, they've made me smile on a day when i didn't really feel like smiling.

Edo, your dog is cute, what breed is that?

Also Chris I like the hat.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a3a448e840.jpg

*edited picture URL*

Last edited by Jam (2010-02-03 08:43:52)

#11 2010-02-02 19:50:29

airin
Website

and, to join the crowd, a recent pic of me and the dawg, out for a recumbent ride....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/4277706961_a63af6e52c_m.jpg

#12 2010-02-02 21:31:46

MikeL

Jam,

Sorry to hear about your dog. I got a dog as a teen, and he was with me well into my younger
adult years. It was so sad for me when I lost him that I was absolutely determined that I would
never again have a dog in my life.

Many years later (a few years ago) my partner suggests that we do what they were calling "foster care" for
what seemed to be very adoptable dogs from "shelters", "dog pounds", "animal rescue leagues", whatever they
call it where you live. Dogs on "death row" basically...

So we signed up for it, and a Border Collie "mix" was relayed from state to state by volunteers, from
the state of Ohio to Massachusetts. He was very much underweight, had worms, bite marks all over, apparently
from dog fights.. a total mess. He had two days until they did away with him where he was.

So you can probably guess how the story ends. We started getting emails about possible "placements" for
him. Can you take a picture for the web site, etc.  So who in the household decides that maybe he should stay...

Now he's my best bud. Absolutely LOVES when I play shakuhachi. He can be anywhere in the house, and as
soon as I start playing or practicing I hear him coming. He curls up right next to me for as long as I play.
Just had a nice practice a short while ago.

Strange how dogs can be so much a part of our lives.

- Mike

#13 2010-02-03 08:32:22

Vevolis
Website

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/Vevolis/n501617376_1949013_4679546.jpg
When in rome...

#14 2010-02-03 08:48:20

Jam

MikeL

Thanks for your post, it was really nice to read. The thought of having another dog now is too painful, but perhaps later in life I'll consider it. If I do, it'll be a rescue one I think.

My dog was deaf towards the end of his life, though when I went back home for christmas I sat down and played shakuhachi in my living room and he came over and nuzzled me. He stood all over my sheet music but I didn't care, I'll never forget setting down my flute and cuddling him. I'll never be able to do that again..

#15 2010-02-03 11:46:53

airin
Website

Jam, what a gorgeous dog!  Thanks for posting the pic.  Vevolis, that photo cracks me up!

Yes, when my first dog passed away, at the end of a long a wonderful life, I swore I'd never get another dog again...the pain of parting is hard to even put into words.

I waited a long time...this is going to sound familiar to Mikel and many second time dog owners...but then the 'Little Paws Rescue Society" approached us with a pomeranian who needed a home.  "But aren't these yappy little dogs?", I asked in a last ditch effort from letting my heart be stolen yet again. "No, no, not really....", was the reply.  Well I came to love this little guy, so full of spunk, so much more attitude than my first dog and, yes, so yappy!

Jim rides on the back of my recumbent almost daily as I blast around the local bike paths.  As for shakuhachi, he too is drawn to the flute and in particular seeks me out when I am playing pieces with a lot of notes in Kan.  He seems to enjoy, yet, I've watched him often to be sure, he actually enjoys those high notes as he raises his nose in the air and yowels and 'sings' along. He is prone to doing this during my skype lessons with Michael Gould who pointed out to me that Jim changes pitch to match each Kan note I happen to be playing.  How's that for a shakuhachi dawg!?

#16 2010-02-03 11:50:32

edosan
Edomologist

Jam wrote:

MikeL

Thanks for your post, it was really nice to read. The thought of having another dog now is too painful, but perhaps later in life I'll consider it. If I do, it'll be a rescue one I think.

My dog was deaf towards the end of his life, though when I went back home for christmas I sat down and played shakuhachi in my living room and he came over and nuzzled me. He stood all over my sheet music but I didn't care, I'll never forget setting down my flute and cuddling him. I'll never be able to do that again..

When my Cattle Dog previous to Buster died (Buzz: he lived 15 very good years), I went through the usual agony of 'should I even get another dog at ALL?', 'should I wait, out of 'respect', should I get a rescue dog?'

Took me six days to get past this and get Buster (as a pup). Unless for many reasons you can't HAVE a dog (lifestyle, location, need to be free of the responsibility, etc), the best cure for the loss of a dog is another dog, full stop. You can very well grieve the loss and still nurture the new. To me, not having a dog is like not having my entire body.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#17 2010-02-03 12:09:13

Rick Riekert

edosan wrote:

To me, not having a dog is like not having my entire body.

Amen to that. When my Newfie Bruno died I waited a year before I was emotionally ready to get another dog. Then one day as my little 8 week old mastiff puppy was stumbling around the living room I remember thinking "you'll never be Bruno". Well. of course not. He's grown up to be my equally beloved Milo.

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#18 2010-02-03 13:22:45

ABRAXAS

Jam wrote:

I lost my king charles last week after 14 years. To be honest I'm absolutely devastated still, I think perhaps this is magnified by the fact I didn't get to say goodbye properly as I'm in another country.

Does anyone know any good funereal type pieces? I've heard Tamuke is a piece wishing for safe passage.

For those of you that are saying "pfft, it's just a dog", you don't have to post in here.

I feel for you. A couple years ago I lost my cat of 16 years. I was actually closer to him longer -16 years- than I have ever been to any human including my parents. It was a horrible loss.

My cat I have now for 2.5 years is a constant companion. I'm my own boss so I bring him to work with me every day. If I'm doing stuff, he's following or watching, if I'm sitting still then I'm his sofa.

Animals are better than people, by a WIDE margin.

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#19 2010-02-03 15:38:01

edosan
Edomologist

Jam wrote:

Thanks everyone for your replies, they've made me smile on a day when i didn't really feel like smiling.

Edo, your dog is cute, what breed is that?

Buster is an Australian Cattle Dog, basic hard core work dog, bred for the job. He is 5-6 months old in that pic. He'll be 6 this April.

Smiling through tears ain't a bad thing; corny, but true.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#20 2010-02-03 17:33:04

airin
Website

edosan wrote:

Unless for many reasons you can't HAVE a dog (lifestyle, location, need to be free of the responsibility, etc), the best cure for the loss of a dog is another dog, full stop. You can very well grieve the loss and still nurture the new.

I totally agree edosan.  I waited but it mattered not...now, if I have to do it again, I will get the next dog right away and know full well that there's always enough love to go around, enough to grieve the dog that's left and enough to bond with the new pal too.

#21 2010-02-03 18:29:24

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I have a blue tongue lizard who lives in my yard. I don't have to feed him, he comes and goes as he pleases and once in a while he shows his face and interacts with me. I also have a similar relationship with two kookaburras. Those are the ideal pets.

#22 2010-02-03 19:02:56

Moran from Planet X
Website

edosan wrote:

Unless for many reasons you can't HAVE a dog (lifestyle, location, need to be free of the responsibility, etc), the best cure for the loss of a dog is another dog, full stop. You can very well grieve the loss and still nurture the new. To me, not having a dog is like not having my entire body.

I have been dogless for 25 years and it still doesn't feel right (I've been an apartment dweller since 1985).

Last Sunday I was sitting on a bench in front of the Claremont Starbucks when a fellow walked up with a "red" and white Australian Shepherd named 'Blinkie.' Edsosan's weakness is the Australian Cattle Dog, mine is that breed's questionable offshoot cousin, The Australian Shepherd.

Turned out that Blinkie was blinder than a bat. Born blind. Other than that (bump, clunk, bump), he was a fine animal and a real sweet soul.

The guy asked me to hold him on leash while he went in to buy a cup of coffee. Unfortunately he came back five minutes later to reclaim him. I'll try to get a picture of him if I run into him again. Or if he runs into me.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#23 2010-02-03 19:57:26

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

I have a blue tongue lizard who lives in my yard. I don't have to feed him, he comes and goes as he pleases and once in a while he shows his face and interacts with me. I also have a similar relationship with two kookaburras. Those are the ideal pets.

Those are not pets, Brian, those are visitors.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#24 2010-02-03 20:59:22

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Those are not pets, Brian, those are visitors.

Which was my point.

#25 2010-02-04 06:13:03

purehappiness

It almost feels kind of cruel that we claim these animals as ours anyways. We should just be their friends and let them live their own lives. But then I don't know how long dogs would live by themselves in the wild.I suppose dogs and man do coexist well together.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

Board footer