World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-02-02 12:31:03

Elliot K
Website

Upcoming concerts: February 7th and 11th

Hi folks,
   I've got two gigs coming up. Busy month!

On Sunday, February 7th, I'll be performing a program of short sankyoku with Shirley Kazuyo Muramoto and Brian Mitsuhiro Wong at The Clark Center for Japanese Art and Culture in Hanford, CA (in California's Central Valley, not far from Visalia and Highway 99). The Clark Center has an amazing collection of Japanese art and we're playing for the opening of their new exhibition, The Splendor of the Japanese Screen. Shirley and her son Brian are superb Koto and Shamisen players and teachers. For more info go here:

http://www.ccjac.org/events/2010concert.html

On February 11th I'll be joining my dear friend, Yoko Hiraoka, in a concert in celebration of the coming Spring, right here in Santa Rosa, CA. She'll be performing on Biwa and Shamisen (this is a rare opportunity to hear her perform a song from the famous Heike Biwa tradition!). Yoko doesn't get out to the Bay Area very often (she lives just outside Boulder, CO), so please join us if you can.

Concert starts at 7:00PM
$15 at the door (I strongly advise reserving a seat in advance - it's a relatively small venue - call 707-575-8626 or 707-303-5925)
Uribe Studios Backstreet Gallery
461 Sebastopol Avenue, Santa Rosa (see map below for directions)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4298437222_fd564c2bb9.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2675/3719957002_700588477b.jpg

#2 2010-02-02 18:59:16

Jam

Re: Upcoming concerts: February 7th and 11th

This sounds great, I've always wanted to see shakuhachi and biwa together, wish I could go.

#3 2010-02-02 19:49:30

Elliot K
Website

Jam wrote:

This sounds great, I've always wanted to see shakuhachi and biwa together, wish I could go.

Ooops!
Sorry if I implied that biwa and shakuhachi were going to be played together - that's not the case (although it does make for a nice combination!). Yoko will do one of the Heike biwa songs by herself, then I'll probably play a couple of shorter honkyoku (just to give her voice a break), then we'll play a couple of sankyoku together (with her on shamisen and vocals).

#4 2010-02-02 19:55:15

Jam

Ah, my bad, sorry!

Still sounds like a good night. smile

#5 2010-02-03 01:43:01

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Congrats Elliot!!

#6 2010-02-03 17:34:32

janemukei

Hi Elliot,  Your gigs sound GREAT....too bad I'm so far away! Best wishes for stellar performances.  Hope they will be recorded?  for all of your fans to hear and buy at camp!   Jane

#7 2010-02-04 01:46:25

Elliot K
Website

janemukei wrote:

Hi Elliot,  Your gigs sound GREAT....too bad I'm so far away! Best wishes for stellar performances.  Hope they will be recorded?  for all of your fans to hear and buy at camp!   Jane

FANS??....I have FANS!!!!????
Seriously, thanks for the good wishes. I think they'll both be fun performances. I rarely get to play with Yoko these days, and it's even more unusual to be able to play an entire gig with TWO string players (and I think they're open to more gigs together).
I'm so grateful for all these blessings.

#8 2010-02-04 09:07:27

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Elliot K wrote:

janemukei wrote:

Seriously, thanks for the good wishes. I think they'll both be fun performances. I rarely get to play with Yoko these days, and it's even more unusual to be able to play an entire gig with TWO string players (and I think they're open to more gigs together).
I'm so grateful for all these blessings.

Hi Elliot, Will Monty and Kayo be attending?

So many cool happenings this weekend.

Break a leg! Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#9 2010-02-04 13:22:09

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

So many cool happenings this weekend.

Indeed. Really a lot! It's nice to think about!
Good luck to you, Elliot.
Let's all try to blow for Phil's fast recovery at some point this weekend!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#10 2010-02-04 16:28:33

Glenn Swann
Website

Elliot-
wow... really great. Congratulations on such an excellent opportunity! Please give my best to Yoko sensei, if you think of it.

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#11 2010-02-09 18:10:01

Lance

Attended the concert in Hanford... very nice. A great piece for two Koto at the end by a blind composer (modern piece), don't recall the name of it.. no Shakuhachi in that one but pretty amazing Koto playing. Elliot sounded great!

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

#12 2010-02-12 12:47:57

rpowers

Elliot K wrote:

The start of last night's performance was delayed so that additional seating could be set up for the overflow crowd. You be the judge.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#13 2010-02-14 02:43:20

Elliot K
Website

Wow. Both gigs went remarkably well, and both were completely sold out!

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes. And a BIG thanks to the Forum members who came from afar for added support!
Here's a photo from the Hanford gig:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/4352437648_900f5af5fb.jpg

Lance wrote:

Attended the concert in Hanford... very nice. A great piece for two Koto at the end by a blind composer (modern piece), don't recall the name of it.. no Shakuhachi in that one but pretty amazing Koto playing. Elliot sounded great!

Thanks for the kind words Lance! The piece for two kotos is called Sarashi Fu Tegoto and it's by Michio Miyagi. Shirley and Brian were awesome, in spite of the fact that they had a little extra pressure put on them since there was a woman in the audience who just happened to be a koto sensei from the Miyagi school! I was sitting next to her during the piece and the lady was (softly) singing along with every note and tapping her hand checking their rhythm. But it's a beautiful piece and I thought they did a superb job all around. I'm hoping to talk them into more sankyoku performances (they actually specialize in more modern music).

The second concert, this one with Yoko Hiraoka, was also a blast, but that was a given - Yoko's a dream to play with. She knows Jiuta backwards and forwards and is always right on the money. Her biwa piece, Nasu no Yoichi, from the Heike tales, really went over well. Her voice just immediately captivated the audience.
Photo:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2772/4351691115_28b2804cb6.jpg

For both concerts we did a Q&A with the audiences to help them get a better handle on the music, and they were obviously fascinated by what they heard.

Oh, and, Perry, Monty wasn't there for the second gig, but Kayo came! She just happened to be in town for a lesson with her Tea teacher along with the folks who own the gallery that hosted us, so she decided to come. I didn't really expect Monty - it's hard enough to get him down the hill and into town to check his mail! Monty, if you see this, you really need to get out more!

Thanks again to all,

Elliot

#14 2010-02-14 10:28:11

edosan
Edomologist

Thanks for the great pics, Elliott. You look just like Musashi Miyamoto taking his ease between campaigns smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#15 2010-02-14 12:29:52

Elliot K
Website

edosan wrote:

Thanks for the great pics, Elliott. You look just like Musashi Miyamoto taking his ease between campaigns smile

And it's a little-known fact that Musashi honed his skills by quickly dispatching those who dared to call him "Four-eyes"...

#16 2010-02-15 07:35:57

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Elliot K wrote:

...Oh, and, Perry, Monty wasn't there for the second gig, but Kayo came! She just happened to be in town for a lesson with her Tea teacher along with the folks who own the gallery that hosted us, so she decided to come. I didn't really expect Monty - it's hard enough to get him down the hill and into town to check his mail! Monty, if you see this, you really need to get out more!

Thanks again to all,

Elliot

Hi Elliot, There's no feeling like having done a great show. Congrats!

Monty and Kayo are such wonderful peeps!. Kayo made Vietnamese spring rolls when we visited and they joked about how Monty never leaves the mountain smile

Last edited by Yungflutes (2010-02-15 07:36:27)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer