World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-02 11:55:11

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Montreal Workshop and Phil James Benefit Concert/ Flute Auction

We have finalized the details for the workshop and concert. It's never too late if you would like to join us.

Workshop:
Time: Friday, March 12~14. First session: Friday evening at 7:00pm.
Place: School of Architecture:  815 Sherbrooke St West, there is an entrance to the Frank Dawson Adams lobby, via a bridge. We will meet at this lobby at 7:00pm, friday evening. Rooms will  assigned and posted the first day of the workshop.

Workshop:
Friday:
7:00~9:00pm

Sat.:
9:00~12:00am Session
12:00~2:00 Lunch
2:00~5:00 Session
5:00~7:00 Dinner
7:00~9:00 Session

Sunday:
9:00~11:00am Session
1:00~3:00 Concert

Benefit Concert for Phil James:
Place; Tanna Schulich Hall, 527 Sherbrooke St. West, School of Music, McGill University.

If you would like to purchase a $10. ticket as part of the contribution please use the paypal button on Phil & Lara's blog and notify me by email if you would.

Please address any questions concerning the workshop and concert to me via this forum or private email.

*AUCTION: We will have a flute auction at the concert of an Al Ramos Hocchiku donated by Brian Ritchie. Bidding starts at $300. If you would like to bid, you may send them beforehand (to me in private emails, please). You'll just have to make an offer and hope! So, for those not able to attend, it will be a silent bid. You may start the bidding NOW.I'll keep you posted daily as to the highest bid offered. More details about the flute later today.

A special thanks to Chris Moran who purchased two seats in the workshop even though he can't attend.

Thanks for your help!

Michael Chikuzen Gould

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#2 2010-03-02 12:50:32

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: Montreal Workshop and Phil James Benefit Concert/ Flute Auction

You didn't put the workshop price, O Chikuzen-meister!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#3 2010-03-02 16:43:51

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Since there's a gun to my head, I'll divulge it: $180.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#4 2010-03-02 16:44:38

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

The length of the Hocchiku for auction is 2.8 shaku.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#5 2010-03-02 17:43:23

edosan
Edomologist

chikuzen wrote:

A special thanks to Chris Moran who purchased two seats in the workshop even though he can't attend.

Such a Mensch...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2010-03-02 19:17:24

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Chris, is that dog the genetically engineered Yin-Yang I've been hearing about?

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#7 2010-03-02 20:55:00

Moran from Planet X
Website

chikuzen wrote:

Yes, his front paws are male and his back paws are female.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#8 2010-03-02 21:37:41

edosan
Edomologist

The poster for the benefit concert for Phil:

If you click on the thumbnail here, you'll go to where the image is hosted, whereupon you can embiggen the thing by clicking the little magnifier thingy just below the image, then embiggen it to full size by clicking on the image. Didn't want to put the fullsize image here, as it prints to 11 x 17 (this is not the printable poster, but a screenshot--should anyone want one to print, contact me directly).

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2391/concertexfinal2scrn.th.jpg

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2010-03-02 23:13:06

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Chris wrote:

Yes, his front paws are male and his back paws are female

It looks like the gun moved closer to the dog in the second photo. Were there any words accompanying the movement?

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#10 2010-03-02 23:50:37

Moran from Planet X
Website

chikuzen wrote:

Chris wrote:

Yes, his front paws are male and his back paws are female

It looks like the gun moved closer to the dog in the second photo. Were there any words accompanying the movement?

"Watch it, bub."

or

"Paws up! All the way ... slow-ly ..."

or

"Leggo of dat Kindo! -- NOW, Canine-boy!!!"

Last edited by Chris Moran (2010-03-03 17:03:18)

#11 2010-03-07 22:20:43

Moran from Planet X
Website

chikuzen wrote:

We have finalized the details for the workshop and concert. It's never too late if you would like to join us.

Workshop:
Place: School of Architecture:  815 Sherbrooke St West, there is an entrance to the Frank Dawson Adams lobby, via a bridge. We will meet at this lobby at 7:00pm, friday evening. Rooms will  assigned and posted the first day of the workshop ...

Place; Tanna Schulich Hall, 527 Sherbrooke St. West, School of Music, McGill University.

If you would like to purchase a $10. ticket as part of the contribution please use the paypal button on Phil & Lara's blog and notify me by email if you would.

... Please address any questions concerning the workshop and concert to me via this forum or private email.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

Zen Seating™ @ Nyokai Benefit Concert

In the true spirit of "form is emptiness," the infernal and persistent organization otherwise known as The Bucket Brigade Fire Drill for Phil™ is still offering an opportunity for you to participate in the March 12-14 shakuhachi workshop ... AND the Afternoon of Shakuhachi Music benefit concert even if you cannot be there!

Empty Seating™ .... what a concept! So Zen!

an Empty Zen Seat™ for the whole weekend workshop (that you can't be present at in form) is still only $180.00. (Blow empty shakuhachi in an empty seat all weekend long!)

But wait there's less ...

If you cannot attend the empty shakuhachi workshop all weekend, you can still have the opportunity to purchase an Empty Zen Seat™ at the Afternoon of Shakuhachi Music benefit concert for Phil at only $10 (or 1100-Yen) per Empty Zen Seat™!

And, if you act now, you can buy extra Empty Zen Seats™ for ONLY $10 (or 1100-Yen) each. 

Buy an Empty Zen Seat™ for your wife or girl friend, your husband or wife, your dog or your cat, your delinquent son or your wayward daughter!  The more you buy, the more you save!

... and because the seats are Empty Zen Seats™ ... it's like saving absolutely Nothing!

So join me in a Zen Seat of True Empitness™ and go to Phil & Lara's  blog:

Empty Zen Seats™ @ Nyokai Benefit Shakuhachi Concert: Phil Nyokai James Family Emergency Fund PayPal Button

And we won't see you at the workshop or the concert, but we'll be Empty™ there with you!

Last edited by Chris Moran (2010-03-08 13:26:13)

#12 2010-03-08 21:39:43

Moran from Planet X
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

chikuzen wrote:

You know, no one has ever asked me why or how this dog's front paw's are male and his back paws are female.

It was a perfect set-up for somebody to ask the question. But nooooooooooo-ooooooooooooooooo.

#13 2010-03-09 16:17:54

grim747
Website

Hi All:

Just wanted to let you know that I had a great visit with Phil this past weekend. We actually had a lesson on Saturday and he was in good spirits. He is having some trouble communicating but he is working hard at it; he surely communicates through his flute. Understandably he does get tired as he must work hard to relearn many things but his sense of humor always shines through. I can't tell you how great it was to see him; he has renewed my commitment to practice by just witnessing his perseverance. I hope that he will be back to teaching on a regular basis soon. We're all waiting anxiously for his return. Many blessings to Phil and to you all.

Tom Grimaldi

#14 2010-03-09 16:47:21

Matt Lyon

Chris Moran wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

chikuzen wrote:

You know, no one has ever asked me why or how this dog's front paw's are male and his back paws are female.

It was a perfect set-up for somebody to ask the question. But nooooooooooo-ooooooooooooooooo.

Now I am curious...... Why?

#15 2010-03-10 01:53:49

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

grim747 wrote:

Hi All:

Just wanted to let you know that I had a great visit with Phil this past weekend. We actually had a lesson on Saturday and he was in good spirits. He is having some trouble communicating but he is working hard at it; he surely communicates through his flute. Understandably he does get tired as he must work hard to relearn many things but his sense of humor always shines through. I can't tell you how great it was to see him; he has renewed my commitment to practice by just witnessing his perseverance. I hope that he will be back to teaching on a regular basis soon. We're all waiting anxiously for his return. Many blessings to Phil and to you all.

Tom Grimaldi

Hi Tom.

Thanks for sharing this. Good to know!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#16 2010-03-10 04:20:08

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Hi Tom,

A seconding of thanks for your posting of information of your visit with Phil; it's good to hear that he's progressing well.  Hope you guys have a great workshop and concert.

#17 2010-03-10 09:51:14

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

I've been continuing to work with Phil's students from Boston and Maine (there are about 7 now), and we are all hoping for Phil's fast and complete recovery.
I am happy to be able to have all of their tuition sent to Lara.
If there are any other of Phil's students who have not contacted me, please do so.

Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#18 2010-03-10 10:09:33

madoherty

Chris Moran wrote:

Hilarious!

I bought seats for my family to "attend" - it's going to be a great show!

Last edited by madoherty (2010-03-10 16:19:45)

#19 2010-03-10 18:33:21

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

PHIL JAMES BENEFIT CONCERT ZEN SEAT SPACE DIMINISHING:
  If you are planning on non-attending the benefit Concert this weekend you should hurry and buy your ZEN SEAT now. It looks like there may be Nothingness and Void Standing Room Only seats available. Think of it as a tip to your teacher who gives you all that extra time and extra care in lessons. I would like to pass around a TENGAI to be filled with $10. bills!

Announcement: I am very happy to announce that my wonderful sister has purchased 100 ZEN SEATS  today in the name of her company, "Jump Into Reading", based in Stockton, CA. She tutors school children who need help reading after school.

Let's make this as beneficial as we can!  Well, they are ZEN SEATs. You can even buy one after the concert. Space and time are nothing here!  That's really dealing with the MA issue. Chris, you rock! And so does everybody that sends not just money but a thought out to Phil and Lara.

Michael

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#20 2010-03-10 18:43:56

ShakuhachiSarah

Chris Moran wrote:

chikuzen wrote:

Workshop:
Place: School of Architecture:  815 Sherbrooke St West, there is an entrance to the Frank Dawson Adams lobby, via a bridge. We will meet at this lobby at 7:00pm, friday evening. Rooms will  assigned and posted the first day of the workshop ...

... Please address any questions concerning the workshop and concert to me via this forum or private email.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

Zen Seating™ @ Nyokai Benefit Concert

In the true spirit of "form is emptiness," the infernal and persistent organization otherwise known as The Bucket Brigade Fire Drill for Phil™ is still offering an opportunity for you to participate in the March 12-14 shakuhachi workshop ... AND the Afternoon of Shakuhachi Music benefit concert even if you cannot be there!

Empty Seating™ .... what a concept! So Zen!

an Empty Zen Seat™ for the whole weekend workshop (that you can't be present at in form) is still only $180.00. (Blow empty shakuhachi in an empty seat all weekend long!)

If you cannot attend the empty shakuhachi workshop all weekend, you can still have the opportunity to purchase an Empty Zen Seat™ at the Afternoon of Shakuhachi Music benefit concert for Phil at only $10 (or 1100-Yen) per Empty Zen Seat™!

And, if you act now, you can buy extra Empty Zen Seats™ for ONLY $10 (or 1100-Yen) each. 

Buy an Empty Zen Seat™ for your wife or girl friend, your husband or wife, your dog or your cat, your delinquent son or your wayward daughter!  The more you buy, the more you save!

... and because the seats are Empty Zen Seats™ ... it's like saving absolutely Nothing!

So join me in a Zen Seat of True Empitness™ and go to Phil & Lara's  blog:

Empty Zen Seats™ @ Nyokai Benefit Shakuhachi Concert: Phil Nyokai James Family Emergency Fund PayPal Button

And we won't see you at the workshop or the concert, but we'll be Empty™ there with you!

You mean I save nothing and I have a great gift for my delinquent sibling???

I'll take it!

Seriously, I'll take it. . .zen-gift wrapped. I'll send it in the mail tomorrow.

Does anyone have an extra ma I can borrow? :-) Sarah Renata

#21 2010-03-10 18:58:19

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

If you do purchase tickets, please let me know or when you donate the money, please leave a note for Lara and Phil. I plan on sending a list of the names to them after the concert. You may also request a song to be played to your VOID selflessness to hear with "Correct Listening".

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-03-10 19:01:20)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#22 2010-03-10 21:00:05

madoherty

chikuzen wrote:

You may also request a song to be played to your VOID selflessness to hear with "Correct Listening".

I would regret it if I didn't request 4'33'' for the occasion.  I have the score if you need it.

#23 2010-03-10 22:34:22

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Here are some funny comments from emails when people have purchased ZEN SEATS:

Comment: "well I have purchased one ticket for myself, but then don't worry, I'm really nobody, so you won't notice me but I do wish I could bring my 'nobody' there in its person to hear the concert but the empty-reality is that nobody has a ticket and won't be there."

Reply:      Thanks for participation. I know but don't know that you're nobody and nobody gets in without a ticket!
-------------------------------------------
Comment: "I just donated fifty dollars to Phils fund, I guess that mean I've purchased five "Zen Seats".
One each for my wife, myself, and three of my (unnamed) ancestors."

Reply: "Please ask them to remain quiet throughout the concert. Not your wife....the others."
---------------------------------------------------

Comment:"Did I get it right?  $50 equals 5 tickets?   If that's right, then the
tickets are for:

"Peter and Marisa Ross, our German Shepherd Gino, our cat Dulce and our hot
tub Sam."

Reply: " Yes. Thanks so much. How about we just set Sam inside the door and the 4 of you sit inside Sam? It'll save us time and space since you won't be there anyway!"
----------------------------------------------------
Comment:"I would like a Zen Seat ticket for Fester Tigar (mountain lion) please.
Oops, and one for Gomez Tigar, his brother."

Reply: "Groowwlll!

Comment: "I just bought three tickets - for myself, Christopher and my son Tristan.

Best wishes to Phil and Lara!"

Reply:  Thank you.......Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------
Comment:"I purchased two Zen Seats for the concert (one for myself and one for Beth).  We will be there in spirit."

Reply: "Thank you...Thank you!"
----------------------------------------------------
Comment:" I will buy a seat for Mason's Hermit Crab there."

Reply:" Is Mason's crab's name "there"? Hermits are VOID like creatures anyway."
-------------------------------------------------------------
Comment:"Done!  :-)
Four seats (Teresa, Whiskers, Chubbins, Myself) + Popcorn... ;-)"

Reply: I'm not clear on the void thing if popcorn is inside of you then outside of you. That's popcorn taking advantage of your dualistic nature."
------------------------------------------------------
Comment:"You have been tipped.  Marissa and I will be at the concert, more or LESS."

Reply: " Thank you much, as the LESS of you the better".
--------------------------------------------------------
This generous person bought 7 tickets including two for: "Clancy the labrador and
Daisy the lurcher".

Reply:  Arf Arf!! Lurch ..Lurch??
---------------------------------------------------------

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#24 2010-03-11 02:24:59

BrianP
Website

Nice!!!  I am glad my Crab won't be there! His chair better be tho! lol!

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#25 2010-03-11 09:05:00

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

WOODEN FLUTE FOR AUCTION AT MONTREAL BENEFIT CONCERT:
I would like to donate the following shakuhachi to the auction benefiting Phil . Once it has been purchased and paid for, I will ship it to anywhere in the USA via USPS Priority Mail at my expense.

Note: the painted utaguchi has been very gently sanded to remove the paint which was not in good condition. This does not effect the playing of the shakuhachi.

This is a wonderful used and refurbished 1.8 wooden Japanese shakuhachi made by the respected Golden Phoenix CO. It is about 30 years old making it one of the original line of wooden flutes. The male joint end is wood not, cork, so it will last longer. It is also a much better player than many contemporary flutes because more time was spent on refinement back then. On a scale of 1 -10 on the playability for wooden flutes, it plays at a 11. Cosmetically it is an 8. It is in near mint condition except for a worn surface near the top blowing edge. The pictures do not do the finish justice. This fine music instrument has a standard tapered bore made in Japan. It was made to modern specifications and reacts fast to produce proper musical intervals across two octaves for professional shakuhachi musicians. Many manufactured flutes are only as good as the finisher. I've played many wooden flutes. Some are better than others. This one is not only on the better side but plays superbly. A gentle focused air stream will produce a lively warm tone and a more focused breath can create a nice "modern" sound with overtones. In addition, I fine-tuned all the finger holes especially the top hole in front and the thumb hole so that the Hi Go and Ha notes, the most difficult notes in shakuhachi music are more accessible. The only thing this flute needs is a little Teflon plumber's tape to make the joint snug. The best thing about purchasing this shakuhachi is that it comes with *The Best Guarantee in the World*. Read about it below. Please know that you are purchasing this fine instrument directly from me, a professional shakuhachi craftsman who works with the international shakuhachi community. You will always be able to contact me directly should you ever need to.

*                                                                        Details*                     
· 1.8 length pitched in D

· Can play with fixed pitch instruments such as a piano.

· 21 1/2" Length x 1 3/8" Diameter

· Beautiful piece of hard wood.

· Great condition

· Snug wooden Joint.

· Clean crisp finger holes to facilitate shakuhachi techniques such as Atari and Nay

This flute is being offered by James Nyman. I'm forwarding his pic to someone who can post it for me. Bidding starts now!

Michael Chikuzen Gould

Board footer