Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-05 22:30:12

geminishadow79

Teachers in Maine

unfortunetly I have recently found myself without a teacher, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other teachers Maine.

#2 2010-03-12 20:54:28

Polly Armstrong

Re: Teachers in Maine

I, too, am without a teacher in Maine.  Any news of Phil James at this point?

#3 2010-03-13 00:46:19

edosan
Edomologist

Polly Armstrong wrote:

I, too, am without a teacher in Maine.  Any news of Phil James at this point?

http://homegrown-hope.blogspot.com/

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2010-03-13 11:40:09

MikeL

Phil is the only teacher in Maine that I am aware of. Perhaps some of his Maine students would
be up for gatherings, but I don't have any contacts to share. I'm a Boston area student.

There is some buzz about a possible seminar shaping up in Boston with Kurahashi Sensei and
hopefully Phil too. Maybe in a few months. Well worth the trip if you can make it.

I visited Phil shortly after his return to Portland, and had an experience similar to one described
in another thread here on the forum. I personally am optimistic that he'll be teaching again when
he feels up to it. So watch for news as far as that goes.

- Mike

#5 2010-03-13 12:55:15

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi Maine and Boston Shkuhachi students,

I am touring Kurahashi Sensei through Maine, as usual on his annual Summer trip to the East Coast.
He will be in Maine/Boston from July 12-19, 2010. **(For the complete Tour see Below)
He very much wants to work with Phil's students in both locations as well as see Phil.
I believe though, that this year he may be hosted by Andy Strauss in Boston.

Until then, on the risk of sounding repetitive, I have been taking over all of Phil's teaching, until he recovers, with any of his students who would like to avail themselves of the opportunity. All of the tuition for lessons will go to his wife Lara, and their soon-to-be-born first baby ! Phil himself, studied the entire Repertoire with me "remotely", although in those days it was with cassettes (!), not my present system of using the Internet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**June 24 – July 27, 2010
Annual Summer USA tour of Kyoto Shakuhachi Master Kurahashi Yodo-Sensei
USA Summer 2010 Teaching Schedule

June 28: Arrive and teach in New York City (Brooklyn)
July 6: Teach at Wash.D.C./Baltimore Dojo
July 9: Rochester
July 12: Kurahashi to Maine (Stay with Phil Nyokai James)/ Boston Andy Strauss (tentative)
July 19: Philadelphia
July 23-26: Head Instructor at KiSuiAn Shakuhachi Camp (at TEMENOS)
July 27: Return to Japan

Please contact Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin for any further information at 917-207-6724, or email: nyogetsu@gmail.com

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#6 2010-03-13 17:40:50

jakonobi
Website

Sensei,

My name is James Lyon and I have a 2.1 Jinashi style shakuhachi that I have been playing for over a year now but I still have difficulty maintaining my breath when I play the second octave as well as utilizing the "exploding breath" technique. When perhaps could you come to the Southeastern United States? It would be truly an honor to learn as much as I possibly could from you. Your "Heart of Zen" CD is an inspiration to me and I listen to it frequently to learn as much as I can from hearing you play. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"As above, so below!"

#7 2010-03-13 23:09:52

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi James,

Thank you for your kind words.
Please contact me offline via email <nyogetsu@gmail.com>, and I'll be happy to help you !!

Nyogetsu

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

Board footer