Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-09 15:02:41

Matt Lyon

Countryman Isomax 2 mic help.

I am looking into getting a mic so that I can get plugged into a PA system and I think that I want to go with the Isomax 2. I don't know much about sound systems and since there is a wealth of knowledge here on the forum I figured this would be the best place to ask.

There are 2 types of sensitivity -40db and -60db. Which one should I go with?

Also should I go with hypercardiod, cardiod, or omnidirectional?

I was also wondering about the need to have my own mic preamp with a limiter control. Something like this: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ART-V3-LIST

I am pretty sure that if I just plug directly into the system that without some kind of peak control ears will start bleeding when playing the high notes or nobody will be able to hear the soft notes. Am I on the right track? Please feel free to educate me as I am trying to figure this out.

Thanks,

Matt

#2 2010-03-09 17:31:29

madoherty

Re: Countryman Isomax 2 mic help.

Hey Matt.  My bit of information will only be about your limiter question.  In my experience the limiter can limit the output (peak), but will not boost the low end (although you can cut it off if you want).  What I think you want is some kind of compression - though I have not been satisfied with results using compression- I am somewhat of a purist when it comes to sound production.

#3 2010-03-10 00:00:46

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Matt,
Hypercardiod
-40b
Thats the one I use. Most of the time I pug directly & sounds great!

What kind of gig you are going to use it for? Do you have a band that you play regularly? (gear costs money & its usless if you don't use it)

#4 2010-03-10 02:15:40

Megus
Website

I'm self-taught sound engineer so I think I can help you a bit smile

First of all, you should choose a mic type - dynamic or condenser. What for do you need a mic? For live performances or for home recording? For live performances I'd recommend dynamic (like Shure SM57, classic instrument mic). For home recording - condenser mics, they pick more sound details, so you'll have better sound on recording.

Direction: cardioid or hypercardioid.

Mic preamp: you don't plug mic directly in PA, I think, you plug it in a mixing board. Mixing boards has mic preamps as a rule, but it's a good idea to have your own preamp. Please note that condenser mics need so called "phantom power supply" (+48V). Some mixing boards don't provide phantom power supply and your mic just won't work. So I recommend to buy preamp that can provide +48V (that ART preamp does it).

I hope that helped smile

#5 2010-03-10 10:21:49

Vevolis
Website

Hi Matt,

-40db would suitable for live performances. You're not going to want to push the subtle nuances you pick up on a -60db in a live acoustic space (you'll have to raise your pre-amp to hear them and because the Shakuhachi can be so dynamic in volume it would be way too loud and you would barely hear the quiet stuff anyways due to the acoustics, inherit noise in the system, etc. -60db is better suited for studio work.

Microphone Polar Pattern (Direction):

Cardioid or Hyper Cardioid. What that means is if the microphone facing you properly, at 0 degrees it picks up the most sound & at 180 degrees, it pinches into it's lowest response, the shape looks like a cartoon heart. When you are in close proximity to the microphone, the low end frequencies are louder because the wavelength is longer, it can bend around the microphone and is picked up on the two bulges of the heart shape. A Hyper Cardioid has the same polar pattern but with a bulge out the back at 180 degrees so it'll pick up even more low frequencies in close proximity. This effect can muddy up your sound with too much low end, so make sure you're not too close.

Microphone Type:

Dynamic or Condenser:

For Dynamics, an SM57 is a great solid microphone, alternatively an SM58 but that's more live vocals. You don't require phantom power, you just need to boost the signal. Condensers are great too, more responsive but more fragile too & require phantom power. If you happen across a nice ribbon microphone, they delicate & catch fire if you accidentally turn on phantom power.

If you plug right into the system and use their mixers pre amps, so long as the acoustic space is good, you shouldn't have a huge problem with the volume & may not need a limiter, though of course it all helps. Shakuhachi is very dynamic & can become loud. Move in when you've got a quiet passage (but not too close as to pick up too many low frequencies and make it sound muddy, move back when you've got a loud passage. It takes practice. You can use the boosted low frequencies to your advantage to make a fuller, sweeter sound too.

Last edited by Vevolis (2010-03-10 10:23:49)

#6 2010-03-10 14:47:47

Matt Lyon

geni wrote:

Matt,
Hypercardiod
-40b
Thats the one I use. Most of the time I pug directly & sounds great!

What kind of gig you are going to use it for? Do you have a band that you play regularly? (gear costs money & its usless if you don't use it)

Geni,

Are you using one of their headsets too? I thought that I remembered seeing that you bought one in another post.

I am going to do just some short solo background music. Nothing fancy, but I figured may as well get a good mic. I also hate to upgrade so I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. In my mind it would be like buying an expensive rifle then putting a cheep scope on it.

Vevolis, thanks for the good description of the pattern types. I think I'll head off to amazon and order a couple of books. The more I have read online the more I realize how broad and yet subtle it all is.

Thanks all,

Matt

#7 2010-03-11 21:24:26

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

sorry, I spoke wrong. I use Earset e6. Its really nice (kind of) invisible during the show ;-) Here is a mix of songs from my last show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCmsoTeRmPw

Board footer