Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-11 13:07:04

jakonobi
Website

This... site... is... AWESOME!!!

My name is James Lyon and I live in Lawrenceville, GA. I've been playing the shakuhachi for a year now yet I've only just begun to tap into its potential. You see, about two months into my training my teacher, for various reasons, decided to end my lessons. Since then I've watched other teachers and masters online & have developed somewhat of a freestyle form of playing. My flute is a 2.1 jinashi style shakuhachi made out of madaki bamboo. I'm anxious to meet & commune with others who honor this instrument as much as I do. Anything you wanna know about me just ask.

"As above, so below!"

#2 2010-03-11 18:53:32

Matt Lyon

Re: This... site... is... AWESOME!!!

It is nice to have you on the forum James and I am not lie'n lol (I am sure you have never heard that one).

Matt

#3 2010-03-11 21:37:55

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Welcome to the forum, James.  As a former Atlantan I'm just curious...where is Lawrenceville and is there anyone teaching shakuhachi in Georgia?

#4 2010-03-11 22:19:43

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Welcome James! Lots of free advice in this site ;-)

#5 2010-03-11 23:39:49

ArchAngel
Website

Welcome, fellow Georgian.  I say that as a Floridian transplant, of course.  I'm about two hours away in Macon.  Welcome!  I'm only about a week longer here, so good timing.

Peace and Light,
Alan

#6 2010-03-12 13:01:11

jakonobi
Website

Lawrenceville is about an hour northeast of Atlanta, Daniel. I'm about five minutes from the Mall of Georgia, which is pretty cool lol. No I dont know of any teachers in the Atlanta area, but if someone could teach me further, maybe a school could be started in this region. That would be so amazing: a shakuhachi school in Georgia! What style of shakuhachi do you have?

"As above, so below!"

#7 2010-03-12 13:25:47

ArchAngel
Website

jakonobi wrote:

What style of shakuhachi do you have?

that would be "none at the moment".  big_smile

I'm making a PVC this weekend, and in another month or so (saving my pennies) I'm buying one from Perry Yung.

Peace and Light,
Alan

#8 2010-03-13 17:28:48

jakonobi
Website

Sounds cool let me know how it goes man. How long & wide is it gonna be? Where did'ja get your designs from, if you don't mind me asking?

"As above, so below!"

#9 2010-03-14 03:13:23

edosan
Edomologist

jakonobi wrote:

Sounds cool let me know how it goes man. How long & wide is it gonna be? Where did'ja get your designs from, if you don't mind me asking?

Lookit this:

http://www.fides.dti.ne.jp/~sogawa/englishpagepvc.html

And download this (direct link to pdf):

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5075 … uhachi.pdf

The latter related to makng a bamboo shakuhachi, but there's much to be learnt from 't.

Here are some plans for a 2.0 PVC shakuhachi:

http://www.konkle.com/shakuhachi/make_shakuhachi.html

And then, of course, there's the almost unheard of and little used: Google 'make pvc shakuhachi',
a veritable cornucopia of vital information will ensue.

Last edited by edosan (2010-03-14 03:35:38)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#10 2010-03-14 09:41:26

ArchAngel
Website

jakonobi wrote:

some results here.  I still haven't put pics up, but will today.  I followed Perry Yung's instructions in the flutemaking subforum, and was also referencing here.

Last edited by ArchAngel (2010-03-14 09:42:07)

Peace and Light,
Alan

#11 2010-05-12 02:26:20

nomaD43

Fellow Atlantan here. I really haven't been around this forum much for a while. Been really busy with too much life. I do really need to get back into the habit of playing on a regular schedule and hopefully relearn some of what I have forgotten in the years of teacherlessness.

Most of what I had learned nearly 20 years ago (OMG is it that long?) was honkyoku.

I am currently living in Alpharetta, so I am about 45 minutes from MOG.

Damon

#12 2010-05-13 14:25:05

BrianP
Website

A shameless plug but...

Don't forget the Florida Shakuhachi Camp is coming up in June and has 2 spots open.

See: http://www.floridashakuhachi.com

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#13 2010-05-16 01:37:17

dinesh

This is really nice forum about sakuhachi. I am also thinking about learning how to play sakukhachi.

#14 2010-05-16 11:20:43

radi0gnome
Website

dinesh wrote:

This is really nice forum about sakuhachi. I am also thinking about learning how to play sakukhachi.

Dude, if you've started thinking about it, you're on your way. Welcome to the shakuhachi cult! ...That's "cult" as in definition 2, I just thought it sounded cool smile http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cult

cult
   /kʌlt/ Show Spelled[kuhlt] Show IPA
–noun
a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
the object of such devotion.
a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
the members of such a religion or sect.
any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer