World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-22 13:17:06

Kyle Kamal Helou
Website

Traditions - Shakuhachi and Nay Duo - Kyle Kamal Helou & Bashir Saade

Greetings to all from Lebanon,

I will be playing along with my friend Mr. Bahsir Saade a Shakuhachi/Nay duo tomorrow, Tuesday March 23rd at 9:30pm, at Walimat in Hamra, Beirut.

The following is the Facebook page link:  http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103299063036537

Here is a text that illustrates the purpose of our playing.  (Text written by Mr. Saade).

"Across endless stretches of time, traditions of music form in separate corners of the world. They occasionally meet, and ideas are exchanged. These meetings take decades and centuries to give results, slowly transforming the receiving traditions. A tradition can be thought of a 'way of doing' that has become a habit. Musical instruments bear the marks of that particular way of doing, they are crafted to suit in the best way the slight acoustic nuances of these ways of approaching music.

Such instruments like the Shakuhachi and the Nay have seldom met, because they come from very distant places. The nay is a piece of reed from the Middle East, and the Shakuhachi is bamboo from Japan. Although very simple, their sound has a strong character as they came to represent in the most complex ways what they have inherited across endless time.

When KAMAL HELOU and BASHIR SAADE have made these these two instruments converse, they knew they were forcing the laws of time. They have found the first musical contact reserved, both the Shakuhachi and the Nay imposing sound clinging on to their traditional aesthetics. The Shakuhachi is sharp and focused, the Nay moving and warm. Yet the similarities were evident, both instruments having come to reflect similar ethical questions.

The impulsive improvisations of the nay have repeatedly crossed three traditional Japanese musical pieces (Daha, Shingetsu, and Sokkan). The result is three meditative encounters to share."

Hope to see you there!

Kyle Kamal Helou & Bashir Saade.

Last edited by Kyle Kamal Helou (2010-03-22 17:10:25)

#2 2010-03-23 03:26:27

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Traditions - Shakuhachi and Nay Duo - Kyle Kamal Helou & Bashir Saade

Wow! That sounds fantastic!
Good luck with it! Wish I could go and hear you guys!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2010-03-25 06:38:53

Kyle Kamal Helou
Website

Re: Traditions - Shakuhachi and Nay Duo - Kyle Kamal Helou & Bashir Saade

Warm greetings to all,

Thanks to all those who put forth their diligent efforts, the concert was a real success. We are now talking about making a CD and possibly even a DVD from it! Not sure when it will be available, but I will keep you posted if you'd like.

The following is a link to some of the photos of the concert:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?d=6 … e=e323b51d

All the best,

Kyle.

Board footer