Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2010-04-07 10:19:37

madoherty

Re: "the Collectors" ABC tonight

I would think that after taking the flutes out of the case... performing / traveling, etc. that they would be subjected to a sudden dry-ness that would make them prone to more cracking.  Is this not the case?  Obviously not, but does anyone have an idea why?

#27 2010-04-07 19:32:12

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi Michael,

In my case , the reason that they don't crack after Traveling with me (whether on Concert tours or Teaching obligations in NYC, Philly, Rochester, and Wash.D.C.), is that I keep the humidity situation HIGH, by using a Dampit and a Plastic Bag with a rubber band whenever they are out of the case.

This way, if I am careful, I am safe even if I am playing in an extremely dry area, or returning to an overly qir-conditioned, or over-heated room.

But I NEVER leave a Shakuhachi "out of the bag" and "out of my case" !!

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#28 2010-04-07 19:52:01

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

madoherty wrote:

I would think that after taking the flutes out of the case... performing / traveling, etc. that they would be subjected to a sudden dry-ness that would make them prone to more cracking.  Is this not the case?  Obviously not, but does anyone have an idea why?

I think it does, obviously Ronnie disagrees. You just have to do what's right for your environment.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#29 2010-04-14 06:00:45

flea
Website

My friends and family saw the show and shared their enthusiasm with me; my Dad gave me some rare encouragement, he has now, some appreciation of the shakuhachi; I think he liked the message about the teacher. Thanks.

I have never been here before: my breath comes differently, the sun is outshone by a star beside it. Franz Kafka

#30 2010-04-14 09:45:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Fiona Dawes wrote:

My friends and family saw the show and shared their enthusiasm with me; my Dad gave me some rare encouragement, he has now, some appreciation of the shakuhachi; I think he liked the message about the teacher. Thanks.

Thanks Fiona and welcome to the forum.

That's good feedback. A lot of people have approached me about the show. Including an older couple who heard me playing in Chado and said, "We saw someone on television playing that instrument. Do you know that bloke?" smile Australians are far ahead of the shakuhachi curve in the West thanks largely to the efforts of Riley Lee.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#31 2010-04-14 16:49:48

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I would say that if your flutes start growing mold you are over humidifying them!

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#32 2010-04-15 10:05:13

lowonthetotem
Website

Some mold is halucinogenic.  They say that is what caused Lizzy Borden to give her dad 40 whacks.  "Playing shakuhachi can be an intoxicating experience."  I recall someone telling me that.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#33 2010-04-15 10:20:32

purehappiness

Just saw it. Nice. Is that your house?

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

Board footer