Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Links
  •  » some great shakuhachi making tutorials in japanese

#1 2010-04-10 18:36:46

Itamar Foguel
Website

some great shakuhachi making tutorials in japanese

I used google translate on them and they are still super hard to understand, wish i knew someone that knows japanese well enough to translate some of that guide for me,

but its still very interesting to look at it.

(i hope im not re posting something already well known)

http://www2j.biglobe.ne.jp/~bandou/bandou_02.htm

Another site with you tube videos that i guess some of you already know

http://hidetake.yon.to/frame01.html

You should also have a look at his links section.

#2 2010-04-10 18:47:36

Itamar Foguel
Website

Re: some great shakuhachi making tutorials in japanese

Im not sure its better then google translate but the first site also has some of his sections including the flutemaking section in english...
http://www2j.biglobe.ne.jp/~bandou/how.htm

#3 2010-04-13 13:55:57

Ambi

Thanks for the links, even with the "interesting" translations from Google there's a fair bit to follow through to.
Can I ask how you came across them? (Just curious)
Cheers

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#4 2010-04-13 15:34:31

Itamar Foguel
Website

i was looking for more info then what we have in English about shakuhachi making and seen Perry saying somewhere that there is a lot of info about making in Japanese you-tube.
so, i began looking and since i dont know Japanese i copied the kanji from Wikipedia for "shakuhachi" (like this i think: 尺八 ) and began to browse Google with translation on. Its a pity that its all in Japanese, maybe someone will be kind enough to translate at list some of it for us non Japanese speakers someday, actually there is a lot more info especially on http://hidetake.yon.to/frame01.html regarding traditional making, bore casting, and even bamboo selection with instructions and tables of gouges to measure the column while in the ground (which i feel is very relevant for me since im just about to go harvesting next week and im not that good at guessing what column will actually fit what flute later...)

Cheers

#5 2010-04-13 20:41:59

Jam

When I have some time I'll have a go at translating some of this. I promised Chris I'd translate something for him and that fell by the wayside a bit. Once I've finished that, I'll have a go at this if someone wants?

It IS pretty long though so if you guys decide which sections you want doing we could break it up between us.

#6 2010-04-13 23:52:57

Moran from Planet X
Website

Seems like a pretty brutal process to me:

"The hole of a finger is broken to prevent mistakes."

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#7 2010-04-14 19:00:42

Itamar Foguel
Website

hehehe... i have no idea, it all looks great >< . the harvest measuring gouge section seems not that long and very useful but thats just me. also all the rest of the flute making tutorial seems great so i guess its mostly what you prefer smile

#8 2010-04-15 11:00:11

jaybeemusic

one of my favorite ways of finding japanese websites is to take a shakuhachi word and use "Babel Fish" to translate it into Japanese and then put that into google and see what happens.  I've found some really great sites like that.  Including this one.

Jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

• Index
  •  » Links
  •  » some great shakuhachi making tutorials in japanese

Board footer