Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-04-15 22:00:50

Riley Lee
Website

New CD released

I am happy to announce a brand new CD that will interest many of you.

The title means "Without Ryû", or "No Ryû" an idea that appeals to or describes many amongst us.
All of the music was composed by Ned Rothenberg.

1. Emergent Vessel (5:19) Ned Rothenberg, shakuhachi (2.4)
2. Naki Tokoro Nite.. (Where There is Neither..) (12:26) - Yoko Hiraoka, jiuta shamisen/voice, Ralph Samuelson, shakuhachi (1.8)
3. Dan no Tabi (Journey on a Staircase) (22:42) - Stephanie Griffin, viola, Riley Lee, shakuhachi (2.7, 2.4, 1.8)
4. Shadow Detail (5:47) - Ned Rothenberg, shakuhachi (1.9)
5. Cloud Hands ( 8:40) - Riley Lee and Ned Rothenberg, shakuhachi (2.4)

See link below for a complete description and an audio preview of the CD.
http://www.nedrothenberg.com/ryu_nashi.html

#2 2010-04-15 22:59:27

edosan
Edomologist

Re: New CD released

Gonna be on iTunes and/or CDBaby?

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-04-16 15:56:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Nice concept. One composer, various shakuhachi players. Good luck!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2010-04-17 02:16:13

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Very cool!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2010-04-17 09:48:10

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Congrats!!
Any plans for a new CD (your stuff)?

Geni

#6 2010-04-17 12:35:33

Elliot K
Website

The new Sounds True catalog lists the Shakuhachi Water Meditations CD from Riley. No track listing, but the blurb says "A melodic, soothing album, perfect for meditators, healing practitioners, and anyone seeking deep relaxation".
Hm, interesting... my spellcheck tells me there's no such word as "meditators".

#7 2010-04-17 13:56:02

edosan
Edomologist

Elliot K wrote:

The new Sounds True catalog lists the Shakuhachi Water Meditations CD from Riley. No track listing, but the blurb says "A melodic, soothing album, perfect for meditators, healing practitioners, and anyone seeking deep relaxation".
Hm, interesting... my spellcheck tells me there's no such word as "meditators".

Got a link to that, Elliot? According to the Sounds True search engine, Riley has no titles with them. Different catalog, perhaps?

Could you be referring to an early CD by Riley: "Water Music"? [perhaps I didn't get the 'new' ST catalog...]

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#8 2010-04-18 20:55:15

Riley Lee
Website

Ned says that "Ryu Nashi" will be available on iTunes, but that it takes a month or so before it shows up.

Yes, Elliot is right; Sounds True is releasing a 'new' CD of mine, called "Shakuhachi Water Meditations", but not until September.
Yes, Edo-san is also right; it's a re-release of an earlier CD, one called "Sea Drift". It was never distributed by anyone but us, so it will be new to most people.

I too, questioned the word/spelling of "meditator". It was pointed out that the Dictionary program that is pre-installed on Apples, lists it as a derivative of 'meditate'.

Tracks are Shirabe, Tamuke, San'an, Daha (all honkyoku), Adrift on the Sea of Tranquillity (R Lee), Raftsong at Sunrise (Ross Edwards), Being Time (R Lee), Birdwing (Frances White). The original CD title was taken from the title of the fifth piece.

Only three out of eight pieces ostensively have anything to do with water, but who am I to question the marketing prowess of Sounds True? The cover is pretty, though. :-)

#9 2010-04-18 23:16:15

edosan
Edomologist

It's a very fine album.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#10 2010-04-18 23:23:44

Elliot K
Website

Yes, the blurb for Riley's "new" CD is from the Sounds True "fall 2010 frontlist" dealer catalog featuring upcoming releases (I'm a dealer for Sounds True through my shop), and, yes, it shows the release date as September.
Considering the tracks Riley mentioned, I'd have to say that their description is a bit of a stretch...
"With Shakuhachi Water Meditations, Lee captures the essence of our experience of water --- from the expansive sense of peace that comes from listening to the rhythm of the surf, to the serenity that we feel when we gaze out over a mirror-smooth lake."
Wow. Must have been written by a Pisces...
Nonetheless, sounds like another great album, Riley. Isn't Birdwing the piece you had us working on at Camp a few years ago?

#11 2010-04-20 00:03:08

Riley Lee
Website

"Birdwing" was composed by Frances White in 1996 and is for solo shakuhachi and backing track. The sounds Frances created for her backing track are exquisite. Here is the first 4 minutes or so of the 15 minute piece (assuming I've uploaded and linked everything correctly...)

"Birdwing" extract

I don't think I've taught this piece at the Rockies Camp, but it would be a good one to do. The score is written in both staff and Kinko notation. That would suit most people on this Forum, would it not?! :-)   The 'rhythm' or timing is done by counting seconds, or once the piece is mastered, by listening to the subtleties of the backing track. We'd have to source a CD player for the Rockies Camp, which would be easy to do. Good idea, Elliot!

But returning to the original topic of this thread, I think that Ned's new CD, "Ryu Nashi" is much more interesting than my soon-to-be released Sounds True recording, "Birdwing" notwithstanding, especially in terms of the non-traditional and the technically demanding but rewarding (both to players and listeners) ways of playing the shakuhachi found in Ned's compositions.

#12 2010-04-20 00:58:17

rpowers

Is this like thinking no one has ever heard the CRS story before?

I took that class, too--6/24/06 in the dome (Yeah, I can't seem to throw anything away).

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#13 2010-04-24 22:16:06

Riley Lee
Website

Well, yes, I'm now beginning to remember that session, too. My apologies to Elliot.
So, it indeed it appears that my symptoms of CRS are worsening.

All I can say, is that I hope it was good Rockies Camp session in 2006 and still think that it's a good idea.
An even better idea will be for me to review past Camp offerings before deciding on future ones!

#14 2010-04-24 22:54:09

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Riley Lee wrote:

But returning to the original topic of this thread, I think that Ned's new CD, "Ryu Nashi" is much more interesting than my soon-to-be released Sounds True recording, "Birdwing" notwithstanding, especially in terms of the non-traditional and the technically demanding but rewarding (both to players and listeners) ways of playing the shakuhachi found in Ned's compositions.

I had a sneak peak of Ryu Nashi a couple of months ago when Ned played it for one of Ralph's workshops. Both exquisitely performed and wonderfully recorded. It was a sonic delight!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer