World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2010-04-27 22:07:52

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Re: Skype lessons

Kiku Day wrote:

Also, as we all know we play a Japanese instrument. Playing shakuhachi in a place far away from Japan via Skype (it seems like most are taking lessons with non-Japanese teachers on Skype) - how connected do you feel to Japan via your activity of shakuhachi playing? I am not insinuating you have to feel connected to Japan when playing shakuhachi. I think the shakuhachi has moved beyond borders as a modern instrument of the world.

I never lived in Japan or other place than in this city in which I live. But the good impressions I got in my soul due to shakuhachi involvement are enough to make me feel conected to Japan by heart. A greatful one.

One can say that since I never experienced shakuhachi or the life in Japan,  I can't know the evil side of shakuhachi world. But then I would say that this is not a side of the shakuhachi world but simply the world from humans.

Omnia mea mecum porto

#27 2010-04-28 01:05:54

airin
Website

Tairaku wrote:

airin wrote:

Kiku, in my case I am extraordinarily fortunate to be able to take lessons with a talented teacher via Skype and still be a part of a local shakuhachi community!

Our local teacher and professional shakuhachi musician also keeps in regular contact with the players here and he frequently invites us to shakuhachi performances.  Again, how lucky to have this connection!

If I read this properly you are studying on Skype even though there is a local teacher available. Why not just take lessons face to face with the local teacher?

Tairaku, you are not memorizing each post word for word like you used to...have you lost your touch?

I shall have to quote myself then, taken from earlier in this thread:

"Sometimes a student's learning style just does not match a teacher's teaching style so a teacher by skype is an better option even when a  face to face teacher is nearby as was my case".

BrianP, it sounds like you've had this experience as well.

Last edited by airin (2010-04-28 01:07:05)

#28 2010-04-28 02:05:31

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

How many lessons did you take before deciding to switch?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#29 2010-04-28 02:08:00

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Erin, it is very interesting that Skype made you overcome certain difficulties present in face-to-face lessons... is that correctly understood?

Brian P, in your previous experiences did you stop playing the instruments because your teachers weren't able to inspire you? While in the case of shakuhachi you found the right teacher for you - via Skype?

Last edited by Kiku Day (2010-04-28 02:11:06)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#30 2010-04-28 02:27:25

BrianP
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Brian P, in your previous experiences did you stop playing the instruments because your teachers weren't able to inspire you? While in the case of shakuhachi you found the right teacher for you - via Skype?

I have never stopped playing an instrument that inspired me.  I don't need an individual to inspire me to continue the pursuit of an instrument but it can help me to progress faster.  It is a shameless plug but only because I mean it.  Chikuzen speaks to my instructional needs very well as he does to many others. 

I have taken "traditional" lessons from good instructors before that suit others perfectly.  I need a teacher who can watch what I do and assess what I am doing and how to correct the problems quickly.  Chikuzen has the ear and the eye to make sure I don't continue mistakes and help me to progress as fast as I am willing to.  I have seen him take players who have been playing wrong for years and correct basic issues that should have been corrected by their original teacher.  Within a day I have seen him correct bad habits that have literally caused years of pain and almost caused one student to quite. 

This is not meant to be a "Jesus healed the sick and fed the hungry" story.  It is actually more geared towards answering the question of why my teacher suits me.  Inspiration is great but I feel inspiration comes from within and if you love an instrument you continue to pursue it and a teacher that suits you big_smile 

Brian

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#31 2010-04-28 09:55:13

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

I've also got the experience with Skype and lessons (With Chikuzen). As mentioned earlier; it is the next best thing to me. Be able to learn from a (Dai) Shihan is very nice. But I also think the method or way skype works has its drawbacks. The direct feel in communication is a bit gone. You cannot play together, I think Skype will be emotionally better if you met the person in real live as well, like Brian has. I would like to experience to be more in the contact then skype can offer. Being in a room with a teacher, hearing the flute of the teacher directly -not digitally- feeling the presence of that all can make it more energetic. This is what I have experienced with the Summerschool workshops and lessons. Maybe I want to experience something which isn't realistic though (I think it is though).
Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#32 2010-04-28 10:55:41

madoherty

Supplementing Skype lessons with in-person lessons has been essential in my experience.  My in-person experiences have been much fewer than Brian's, but have been very important for the reasons that you have mentioned Bas.  One does not get the same sense of the energy used to play over Skype, and if you learn by hearing, like me, then the sound quality over the WWW is not sufficient to get a good grasp of.  However... I have been surprised in what I have been able to hear over Skype... differences in flute timbre, etc.

Further, for me, I find that playing into a computer is a big psychic drain - feels like I am playing into a void (that is NOT a reflection on my sensei!) - for me it feels like playing through a translator almost... and I guess that is what it sort of is.

Luckily, Chikuzen also supplies CDs so that I have that immense amount of information to work from as well- not unlike other teachers from what I have read here.

Last edited by madoherty (2010-04-28 15:28:27)

#33 2010-04-28 11:20:19

lowonthetotem
Website

I think the issue in question has little to do with Skype, per se.  I think that some people become masterful in what they do and then proceed to teach that based on that merit alone.  I think others become masterful in what they do and then strive to become masterful at teaching.  I think this makes all the difference.  This post is not meant to insinuate that anyone on the board is not masterful at teaching.  It is just an observation I've made concerning instructors en masse in multiple disciplines, including myself.  I am a terribly poor teacher, and I know it from experience.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#34 2010-04-28 11:50:07

madoherty

A bad teacher will be bad in real life and digitally.
A good teacher off-line can be a good teacher online, or a bad teacher online.

lowonthetotem, are you saying that you have not seen a difference between your online lessons on Skype and one in person?  Have you experienced both with the same teacher?

#35 2010-04-28 12:24:43

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

i think all depends from the teacher. A great teacher can hear you & say you need to do this & that & also inspire you with his playing ( It helps to hear where you want to go). I think having the possibily to learn online with teachers is a great healp for people who can't afford to go half world way to learn shakuhachi.
If you want to play along with the somebody - play along with a CD. Maybe its not traditional;-) but they had no Cds then.

#36 2010-04-28 12:42:45

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

My two cents worth:

1. This has been mentioned but I'll make a stronger case for not over looking the fact that students need guidance when starting out as to how to hold the flute, sit up, how to breath, and some basic embouchure tips. Why this is ignored is baffling to me. Methods for teaching beginners is one of the most under developed aspects of anything to do with shakuhachi. Again and again I come across "advanced" players-people have have played for many years- and even "teachers" who have habits so bad that it retards their ability to develop more or give guidance that makes any sense to beginners. This simply means the development of bad habits. These troubles occur because of a lack of guidance early in the playing stages and could be avoided with some suggestions from the teacher. There are many ways of holding a flute and these differ depending on the type of music you are playing, i.e. solo vs. ensemble, there are also differences in the schools (sects) ways of holding the flutes, and of course, differences in how to hold based on the length of the flute. Using skype, I (a teacher) can give examples of each and show why one is more effective for a certain type of music vs. another. We all have some differences but most shakuhachi players have two hands with several fingers and a thumb or two; a couple lips, some teeth, at least one lung, a vertebrae, etc. My point is that there are enough similarities to offer some very useful suggestions. The student will use these tips and knowledge as a reference when building their shakuhachi playing self/body. Differences will naturally appear as things ultimately will be determined by the difference in finger length, flexibility of the thumb, size of lips, ego, etc., but in most cases, the differences are not so big as to NOT allow the student to try out what is being suggested.  For this, the dialogue and the video aspect are of utmost importance. This dialogue and the fact that you show sincere concern for helping the student from the beginning earns their trust and sets the tone for a healthy relationship. As far as listening again and again, it has already been mentioned that you can record these lessons, and that you have the possibility to really engrain bad habits if they are not caught early on.

2. Like Nyogetsu says, this medium, skype, may be better for some teachers in terms of reaching their objectives. And even though this forum subject started out as an inquiry about efectiveness and experiences of using skype,skype, Nyogetsu has brought up points of difference in his system with skype that allows us to compare and contrast. So, if we chose to branch out a bit with the discussion it may be effective to throw light on the subject from different perspectives. There's a difference of how each sect deals with the pieces that are taught. The way you (Nyogetsu-san) teach on these cassettes, would never work for me. In so called "Dokyoku", I teach the SHIN version of a song first. This is the version where the student and the teacher play what's on the page. This is an objective (and the simplest and most conservative )version of the song, which does not "customize" the song to one's flutes strengths and weaknesses nor the students personalities. This insures the pure transmission of the song in a basic form. When the student begins to develop and after they can play the SHIN version, we move into the GYO version. GYO moves into the realm of the subjective, and begins to take into account the fact that the student is DEVELOPING as a player. GYO is all about starting to "customize" the song to the students strengths and weaknesses and also, of course, takes into account what the strengths and weaknesses of the flute are. There are always three in this relationship: the flute, the player and the song. The student will incorporate many facets of their development in the music as they continue to play and it's the teachers job to view this and and offer supportive feedback. GYO allows this as no song is ever "static. In order to do this, we must be able to talk to each other. Maybe in some sects, one version of the song will suffice, but there's no way one recorded version of a song will work for "Dokyoku".

3. The teacher is able to better impress the sound having both the visual and audio parts working together.

Nyogetsu, please include my camps in your list of available camps next time. I'm hurt immeasurably! They are found on my calendar.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#37 2010-04-28 12:51:25

lowonthetotem
Website

lowonthetotem, are you saying that you have not seen a difference between your online lessons on Skype and one in person?  Have you experienced both with the same teacher?

No that isn't what I am saying, and yes I have.  My comment was meant to elaborate on what others said about teachers meshing with their students' learning style.  In my experience as a college instructor (short lived, about three years, and I taught composition and literature, not music) I found that I could convey the material and some students would get it, some would excell, and some just never got it.  I think this came from my inability to address different learning styles.  I think good instructors tend to teach in different ways to different students, even in a group.  It isn't, necessarily, that there is some inexplicable connection between the instructor and student, but rather that the instructor has devised strategies to connect with several different kinds of students with different learning styles.  This ability to strategise according to different students lends itself to devising strategies for different teaching media, such as individual lessons, group lessons, in person lessons, and online lessons.

I'd also agree with Geni.  My teacher seems to be able to HEAR what I am doing as much or more so than having to see what I am doing.  I think the visual aspect is compromised on Skype, at least in my case because I don't seem to be able to get my crappy little camera to provide enough detail while still having enough depth of field to show the full length of the flute.  I prefer Skype to group lessons in person because I am just an attention whore.  The one on one, in person lessons that I've had took place over several days without much of a set schedule, which I find better for me than set hour and a half blocks, because I tend to get on tangents.  Obviously, these allowed me to cover alot more material than I do in internet lessons.  Aside from that, I don't see an obvious down side to Skype lessons in relation to live lessons, except for the fellowship that BrianP mentions, which actually works against me and my tendency to get off topic often.  Although these are fun, and I enjoy them, I wonder if it isn't better for me to have a set block of time to increase my focus, eventhough it takes me out of my comfort zone a little.

#38 2010-04-28 13:08:13

airin
Website

Tairaku, I took lessons with my first teacher, F2F, for six months before I switched to Skype lessons with my present teacher Michael Gould.

Kiku, it wasn't that the technology of Skype over came issues that were occurring F2F it really was just that the way I learned was not a good match for the way my first teacher taught.  Whether it had been on skype of F2F, as a beginner I felt there was very little instruction on how to hold the flute, for example, there was no teaching about how to 'count' the timing but rather strong emphasis on using a metronome, there was an expectation that I could play the phrases completely with one breath which I simply could not do in those early days and a sense of disappointment and even a hint of impatience from my teacher that I was not able to immediately produce the notes in Kan.

Though I felt a strong bond with the bamboo flute, during those early lessons I questioned my ability to progress in learning to play the instrument. When I switched to lessons with Michael Gould, he began by teaching me how to hold the flute properly so as to avoid injury.  He also gave me a lot of information about the history of the flute and basic techniques in a informal manner that put me at ease and inspired me.  His well paced approach gave me lots of time and space to build basic skills and his expectations seemed realistic given my abilities.  Michael has a lot of skill as a teacher, he gives clear explanations, provides a variety of methods to learn and practice a particular technique and offers vivid, often concrete demos that are easy to remember and work well when applied.  Michael is very tuned in to what is happening with regards to the mechanics of playing both in terms of all the variables in the mouth and the physics of air movement to and through the flute.

I continue to make slow progress though I practice diligently every day for at least an hour yet Michael continues in his gentle, encouraging way always seeming to provide just the right method to learn a technique at just the right time.

In my professional life, I too am a teacher and, as such, am no stranger to teaching methods and learning styles.  Sometimes there's a good teacher, by talent and training, that just is a cut above other instructors and when you happen upon a person like that you know you've lucked out and you do whatever you can to become their student whether its travelling for F2F lessons, if and when possible, or meeting via Skype.

Last edited by airin (2010-04-28 19:05:09)

#39 2010-04-28 13:16:39

madoherty

lowonthetotem wrote:

No that isn't what I am saying

Fair enough.

#40 2010-04-28 14:58:15

David Earl

A little late to chime in here. I have had one f2f lesson and two via Skype over the last few years. Living in mostly rural areas there is little to no opportunity to study with a teacher in person on a regular routine basis. Having the opportunity to take Skype lessons is essential me. I am not a good student and I don't seem to retain much from the lesson but feel if I had Skype lessons more frequently the hyper alert nervousness wanting to take everything in and strain to retain kind of experience would diminish. What Ronnie and Perry are doing with the MP3 format lessons has me very interested. I will be speaking to the teacher I took my Skype lessons from about the possibility of something like this:) Thanks Kiku for starting this thread it has been great to read everyone's experiences.

Spring peepers provide
a croaking choral backdrop
sleep time aria

#41 2010-04-28 15:24:41

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Another MUST with skype:  MP3s or CDs. I believe the student needs a reference for the songs when they are not on skype with the teacher. So, I have booklets with the scores we use and accompanying Cds with all the songs on a 1.8, so that the student always has a reference. This amounts to the same as using tapes which you can listen to over and over plus the advantage of real time interaction. The students can always email questions they may have (if it's driving them crazy) in-between lessons.

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-04-28 15:27:02)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#42 2010-04-28 16:29:06

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Michael,

Good point that the students need a lot of instruction on such things as holding the flute, posture etc. When I get beginners that's probably at least half the lesson for the first 5 lessons or so. Because you can't build on bad basics.

Which brings me to the question I asked Erin. I was concerned that with the easy access to skype teachers, people might go "teacher shopping" as they frequently do "doctor shopping". Switching teachers (or doctors) before giving them a chance to get results can be counterproductive. For example I think switching teachers after one lesson which doesn't go the way you wanted or expected is silly. Because the teacher is looking much further down the road than what he's showing you this time.

Thanks for the answers.

#43 2010-04-28 17:09:30

Matt Lyon

Tairaku,

If people go teacher shopping they are probably the type of person who does that in everything that they do. As a mechanic I see this trait in people all the time. The customers that come in that are hard to get along with never have any good thing to say about any service that they get.

Matt

#44 2010-04-28 19:27:16

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi Chikuzen,

I am so sorry to have omitted your Camps. They seem to be enjoyed by all (including my students) who have gone to them. I highly recommend them !
And I apologize to all others as well that I missed (That is what is wrong with making lists !)

Also, I wish to mention there may be some misunderstandings with my "cyber" method.
I began with the use of cassettes.
This is because there was no Internet back in those days over 30 years ago.
While students still can use cassettes (one still does !), I have been using a system which uses Audacity and mp3s for the past 20 years or so.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#45 2010-04-28 19:57:59

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

Because the teacher is looking much further down the road than what he's showing you this time.

Perhaps, perhaps not. They may also be looking at the clock...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#46 2010-04-28 20:06:06

airin
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Because the teacher is looking much further down the road than what he's showing you this time.

Perhaps, perhaps not. They may also be looking at the clock...

edosan, always keepin' it real!

#47 2010-04-29 08:39:14

radi0gnome
Website

Tairaku wrote:

I was concerned that with the easy access to skype teachers, people might go "teacher shopping" as they frequently do "doctor shopping".

While I agree that any teacher a student decides on should be given some time to see if things might start falling into place (I think Airin's 6 months is probably enough), doesn't the teachers offering introductory lessons sort of encourage teacher shopping? I also don't see what the problem is if a student doesn't like the trial lesson and decides to switch teachers, because that is what the trial lesson was supposed to be for.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#48 2010-04-29 11:23:56

lowonthetotem
Website

From a student's point of view, some folks may go teacher shopping.  But I think that this generally happens at inception and once people find someone they can learn effectively from, they stick there, especially if it has taken them a while to find that teacher.  Perhaps some folks may not appreciate the generally difficulty of the instrument and may be unsatisfied with anyone they try, but I imagine they wash out altogether over time, regardless of who they learn (or don't learn) from.

#49 2010-04-29 11:59:44

Christopher B.
Website

Hey,

about "teacher shopping" I have done it face to face or not, I think its the wrong word in my case. I had several teachers over the past year and it was really hard for me to get one that fits my needs. It was not like shopping, once I have found a teacher that totaly fits me I tryed to stay with him/her but that doesnt work always. You know it is also hard for a student to find a teacher, I noticed that one can bring you really fourther and another can not. Sometimes it is just like spending money and play shakuhachi together but other persons are really fine with the same teacher, I didnt. Its a just a question of personality and so on I think.

I understand that they have more knowledge and I will get further once I noticed the changes. I have much respect for all of them but I think it is more like become a friend cause you will spend years with the same teacher and I think it must be a person that fits in personality. Learning an instrument should not always be frustrating and struggleing arround the same shit, it should be funny sometimes and sometimes you will need one that push you into a new level. I have much motivation to learn this instrument but I think the teacher should have the same motivation and joy in teaching.

Now I taking really tradional (when I can say that) lessons here in Germany but I still not know if this is what I want but I think in person lessons are better then Skype.

Last edited by Christopher B. (2010-04-29 13:32:15)

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#50 2010-04-30 02:36:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I was concerned that with the easy access to skype teachers, people might go "teacher shopping" as they frequently do "doctor shopping".

While I agree that any teacher a student decides on should be given some time to see if things might start falling into place (I think Airin's 6 months is probably enough), doesn't the teachers offering introductory lessons sort of encourage teacher shopping? I also don't see what the problem is if a student doesn't like the trial lesson and decides to switch teachers, because that is what the trial lesson was supposed to be for.

Teachers offer trial free lessons as a courtesy. I do it also but I wouldn't hope that would be considered a lure to grab other people's students. In Japan usually if you want to switch teachers you have to and the new teacher has to get the permission of the current teacher. Just another cultural difference I suppose.

The practice of taking as many free individual lessons as you can get from different people is probably not the most efficient way of getting somewhere, I might suspect. wink

Board footer