Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-05-06 15:09:10

azul

need QUALITY chinese madake blanks!!

I have 6 shakuhachi on order and no blanks!!! Just let me know if you or someone you know can help.
Thanks

#2 2010-05-06 15:19:31

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: need QUALITY chinese madake blanks!!

azul wrote:

I have 6 shakuhachi on order and no blanks!!! Just let me know if you or someone you know can help.
Thanks

Hi Dan,

Frank's Cane and Rush Supply is a source for Chinese root bamboo. They are comparably very inexpensive so you'll probably need to order a large batch to get a few of the nicer pieces.

You can also order from James in China.

James's Bamboo Website: http://www.madake99.blogspot.com/
James's email : zhangjian720@hotmail.com

They are more expensive than Frank's but James provides much more attention to detail. As a result you'll get a much higher yield of quality pieces.

Good luck.

Ken

#3 2010-05-13 21:39:29

azul

Thanks my friend. The info was helpfull, and always apreciated!

Last edited by azul (2010-05-13 21:41:25)

#4 2010-05-14 12:15:46

John

Mujitsu wrote:

azul wrote:

Thanks

Hi Dan,

Frank's Cane and Rush Supply is a source for Chinese root bamboo. They are comparably very inexpensive so you'll probably need to order a large batch to get a few of the nicer pieces.

You can also order from James in China.

James's Bamboo Website: http://www.madake99.blogspot.com/
James's email : zhangjian720@hotmail.com

They are more expensive than Frank's but James provides much more attention to detail. As a result you'll get a much higher yield of quality pieces.

Good luck.

Ken

Ken, I've been thinking about trying my hand at making flutes for my own education and use.  Can you say a little bit about how you handle/treat the pieces coming out of Frank's?  Are these fresh green poles or are they dried?  Do you put them through some kind of treatment or curing before you actually start cutting out a flute?

"The more necessary anything appears to my mind, the more certain it is that I only assert a limitation." ~ The Book of Lies, Ch. 45 "Chinese Music"

#5 2010-05-14 12:52:06

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

John wrote:

Ken, I've been thinking about trying my hand at making flutes for my own education and use.  Can you say a little bit about how you handle/treat the pieces coming out of Frank's?  Are these fresh green poles or are they dried?  Do you put them through some kind of treatment or curing before you actually start cutting out a flute?

The pieces from Frank's are dried and ready to go. There is no curing needed.

They are not meticulously selected so they arrive with a variety of width, thickness, density and node placements, despite special orders. A handful in a batch are usually suitable for decent shakuhachi. Occasionally there is a gem. So, you pretty much get what you pay for.

There are many ways to learn but I've always thought they were one good way because you can have many around, make mistakes, move on and develop your hunch for a winner.

KL

Board footer