Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Best sounding bamboo? If Humans can be cloned why not shakuhachi? Etc.

#51 2010-06-07 01:40:52

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Best sounding bamboo? If Humans can be cloned why not shakuhachi? Etc.

Toby wrote:

I certainly would not invest (from a business standpoint) in a plastic shakuhachi factory...

Toby

Where's the courage of your convictions? wink

I would be surprised if any conventional shakuhachi maker makes as much $$$$$$$ as the guy who sells the Yuu. So I would invest in plastic shakuhachi. But FIRST I would have to be convinced as a player that it was as good and cheaper. Your clarinet and flute examples are real world examples but I have yet to play a shakuhachi made of any other material than bamboo which would do it for me. Do you think it will happen someday?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#52 2010-06-07 03:22:32

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Actually, no. I think shakuhachi is all about the bamboo, which is one reason that the Okuralo, such as I am holding in my avatar, never took off (though in many ways the sound is superior to that of a conventional flute).

It is interesting to note that we should consider jiari as composite instruments, as the inside is filled with a material of much different density and hardness than bamboo. The bore of a Yuu is actually closer to a jiari than that of a jiari is to a jinashi in terms of material...

Last edited by Toby (2010-06-07 03:25:59)

#53 2010-06-07 08:44:51

Lorka

Not to harp on an old (but very valid) point, but where this experiment would also shine would be in the creation of shakuhachi of various lengths, i.e. 1.8, 2.0, 2.4, and say 2.8.  Those would keep most people pretty happy.  Well, I would be pretty happy anyways.

Last edited by Lorka (2010-06-07 08:45:49)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#54 2010-06-07 14:59:41

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

I've seen cornetti and serpents made of carbon fiber. That seems like it would be a good material.

I'd love to see a good carbon fiber shakuhachi that sounded as good or better than a concert quality Japanese Madake or Chinese Madake shakuhachi. If you could manufacture it affordably, that is.

Shamisen players are beginning to use carbon fiber bachi (plectrum) instead of sea turtle shell.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#55 2010-06-07 20:00:26

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Jon Kypros wrote:

I'm surprised by Toby's comments.

It's not only possible to copy a spot tuned jinashi bore it's actually easier in some cases than a jiari. The only problem I forsee is large ikigeashi. I told Brian I intend to make a complete carbon copy of one of my spot tuned jinashi out of ultra light strong food grade plastic and I intend to let him and anyone else test the two side by side.

I've thought about this, mostly on the toilet, and I thoguht how cool would it be to have a shakuhachi library. The goal in my mind is to get people copies of the best instruments for the purpose of people taking more lessons and not having to worry about a 1.8 until they want that special living piece of bamboo and Ji artistry. Anyway one step at a time.

I'll be back with the Franken jinashi in a month or so. I am making a cast bore for Ronnie's students right now and theres a camp to go to and some custom jinashi orders and ebay to keep up with but I have no life so a month smile

I don't see how you will manage to copy the slight (and not so slight) irregularities that are characteristic of natural bores. Further, there is the fact that jinashi bores contain a lot of texture imparted by the structure of the bamboo. These factors will definitely affect the sound.

Toby

#56 2010-06-07 21:23:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Toby wrote:

Further, there is the fact that jinashi bores contain a lot of texture imparted by the structure of the bamboo. These factors will definitely affect the sound.

Toby

Doesn't this contradict your usual position that material is, well, immaterial?

#57 2010-06-07 21:40:04

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Toby wrote:

Further, there is the fact that jinashi bores contain a lot of texture imparted by the structure of the bamboo. These factors will definitely affect the sound.

Toby

Doesn't this contradict your usual position that material is, well, immaterial?

Since "bore smoothness" is an absolute necessity in Tobysan's optimized equation, the contradiction is artfully dodged.

In essence, jinashi are exempt from following the commandments of Tobysan's particular branch in the faith of Scientism.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#58 2010-06-07 22:23:07

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

As I said, in a wind instrument 99% of the input energy is lost at the walls, never making it to the goal of becoming sound. There is a boundary layer, extending about 1 mm from the walls, where air molecules are slowed by friction, and transfer their energy as heat to the walls, as well as suffering viscous losses. Anything which increases the surface area of the walls (roughness) is going to increase boundary losses, and make this supremely inefficient machine even more inefficient. Further, the losses are frequency dependent, so that higher frequencies are attenuated by a rough bore more than lower ones. So a rough bore is going to give a sound poorer in higher partials, giving that "woody" sound that jinashi players think is oh so spiritual.

Of course you can also just put a basket over your head, ignore physical reality and pretend all the extra air needed to produce the sound polishes up your karma...

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2010-06-07 22:24:38)

#59 2010-06-08 00:12:56

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

On a microscopic level, the bamboo is anything but smooth, and as I sight down my 2.6 jinsahi, I can see that there are parallel striations running the length of the bore. There are extremely rough patches with complex geometry where the garibo has torn out the node membranes, and in fact the cross-section is anything but round, varying continuously down the bore. The urushui coat does nothing to change this, apart from filling in some micropores present in the cellular structure.

When I talk smooth, I am talking about mirror-finish smooth. In other wind instruments, there are significant differences between instruments made of metal and those made of wood: no matter how highly polished the wood. There is always some grain structure in the wood that is absent in metal, and that small difference can cause acoustic losses of around 2 dB. Now look at your "smooth" bamboo and you'll see that it isn't really so smooth at all, at least on the level I am speaking about--rifle-bore smooth--and that is significant acoustically.

This is not to discourage you in your work towards making jinashi reproductions, only to let you know that there is every chance that no matter how carefully you try to reproduce the bore, the flutes will sound and respond quite differently.

To illustrate the point, here is a little true story:

"Once upon a time, a flute professor and performer named Joan Lynn White decided to try to measure the differences between metal concert flutes in four different materials. She went to the Sankyo factory, known to be one of the top flutemakers, and got on loan two silver flutes, one in 9K gold, one in 14K gold and one in palladium. All were made completely by hand by the finest technicians, using the same mandrels and jigs.

Professor White was very wise, so she made sure to have two identical silver flutes, so that the researchers could establish a baseline control on the effect of manufacturing variability on the final sound. And lo and behold! The researchers, using sophisticated spectrum analysis, found that the sound differences between the two silver flutes was so great that it far exceeded the differences that could be attributable to the metal.

They concluded that even the minute differences in geometry found in these flutes made to extremely tight tolerances made the question of materials moot. They did note in passing that the 14K gold flute had a slightly stronger 7th partial, which could have been attributable to the metal,  but since this partial is extremely weak to begin with, and disappears completely in the second octave, it was of no practical consequence.

They published their results and lived happily ever after."

My fear of course, Jon, is that you will make a wonderful doppelganger flute that will play somewhat differently than the original, and everybody will be off again on how the material is so important...

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2010-06-08 00:18:44)

#60 2010-06-08 00:14:55

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tobysan wrote:

Of course you can also just put a basket over your head, ignore physical reality and pretend all the extra air needed to produce the sound polishes up your karma...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4680650151_ce32f77f48.jpg

#61 2010-06-08 00:16:08

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Your Photoshop skills are to be commended smile

#62 2010-06-08 00:31:00

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tobysan wrote:

Your Photoshop skills are to be commended smile

Thank you, but your other-half (edo) is much better. He's just more coy.

#63 2010-06-08 10:51:52

Ambi

wow this thread is gettng interesting! - even with out the more photoshop.

Jon - surely the test would be to make two flutes fromt he same mold and compare them - I think that the "Scientismist" position is that they might both be fine flutes, but that neither would play the same as the other, never mind as the original from which the mold is cast (either way I'd like one).

Toby - is a mirror finish necessarily the best? - I'm thinking sharks skin etc where the microstructure stabilises the boundary laminar flow. Anything similar possible and practicable in acoustics?

Cheers

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#64 2010-06-08 11:27:57

radi0gnome
Website

Jon Kypros wrote:

I decided I'm not going to make a jinashi doppelgänger just to convince anyone or for discussion sake but I would make a test flute in order to work toward some worthwhile goals like providing people with excellent light weight worry free instruments for low cost.

If that's the goal you don't even need to have a bore that's an exact replica of a fine flute. The Yuu's bore isn't a replica of the original flute and from what I understand it plays "good enough". And even though it really isn't "good enough", straight, untuned PVC works pretty good. I think that if someone came up with a cheap plastic shakuhachi that didn't look like a child's toy like the Yuu but looked and played better than straight PVC (I'm thinking that the "secret" behind how good the Yuu is is that it is a conical bore) that it would find a market. 

Jon Kypros wrote:

If anyone wants to work toward that, owns nice flutes and just needs reassurance that it both works and is safe for their flute I will be happy to oblige.

I guess the reason you aren't giving details here on how you can copy a bore complete with all the nooks and crannies you find in a jinashi instrument is that you don't want anyone to take and run away with your concept, which is understandable, but could you give us a little bit of a clue as to how you plan get the copy? I can't see how it's possible without splitting the original into two halves.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#65 2010-06-08 15:25:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jon Kypros wrote:

In any case a copy of a historical masterpiece 1.8 would be far better than a Yuu or cast bore from a traditional standpoint. I find cast bores by Monty and Neptune great for playing music outside of tradition but lack the characteristics for certain traditional techniques.

I think Monty and the Yuu both were based on bore profiles of bamboo instruments.

#66 2010-06-08 16:27:41

radi0gnome
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Jon Kypros wrote:

In any case a copy of a historical masterpiece 1.8 would be far better than a Yuu or cast bore from a traditional standpoint. I find cast bores by Monty and Neptune great for playing music outside of tradition but lack the characteristics for certain traditional techniques.

I think Monty and the Yuu both were based on bore profiles of bamboo instruments.

I thought I remember reading from someone who dissected a Yuu that the curve in the bore is created from two straight-line holes. If that's not true, and the bore is actually cast from the original instrument, I guess they didn't cast it from the same instrument that they cast the outside from because the hole is off center at the bottom.

#67 2010-06-08 17:51:18

Moran from Planet X
Website

Jon Kypros wrote:

I find cast bores by Monty and Neptune great for playing music outside of tradition but lack the characteristics for certain traditional techniques.

Hi Jon, What are the characteristics you believe are lacking and the traditional techniques you can't perform on the cast bore Monty and Neptune flutes?

#68 2010-06-08 21:50:29

Moran from Planet X
Website

Jon Kypros wrote:

Large hole Neptune flutes cannot play Ha ni yon go, koro koro, Chi ru Tsu ru, and a few others due to the large holes.

Is this your experience? I wonder if it's John's expereince? Thanks for clarifying "Neptune Large Hole." I would be pretty certain that his standard jinashi (and maybe even cast bore instruments) can execute any note, phrase or technique known to Shakuhachidom.

Jon Kypros wrote:

The narrow bore of the YUU, Levenson's and Neptune's cast bores do not respond ideally to certain styles of playing and techniques.

Okay, which playing styles and techniques? I'm curious. (see below)

Jon Kypros wrote:

Justin Senryu comes to mind as someone who understands multiple different styles and who thinks about what a flute best suited for a particular style could be like. I've played two of his jiari flutes noting how they responded to Dokyoku playing and have heard from Michael Chikuzen Gould how they were well suited to Dokyoku. They could also play other styles satisfactorily of course. So perhaps an ultimate "YUU" should be a middle ground flute without being too much of this and not enough of that.

I understand that one of the reasons that the Yokoyama-style Dokyoku players appreciate Miura Ryuho, Bei Shu (Tom Deaver) and Justin's shakuhachi is that they can access BIG dai-meri sounds and Chi ru Tsu ru sounds more easily. From a student's standpoint this easier accessibility is quite seductive, but doesn't it create reliance on "micro-specialty flutes" ?

Similarly, when you make traditionally "more quiet" notes like Tsu dai-meri louder aren't you lessening the natural dynamics of traditional shakuhachi in the gain of a more expedient and thus different instrument?

Paraphrasing a maxim of Kurashashi Yoshio-sensei's that Philip Gelb told me: "When you make the small notes LARGE, all notes are LARGE." (Forgive me Phil and Yoshio if I murdered that.)

You can modify traditional instruments all you like for whatever expediencies you desire, but may you also be thwarting the natural sawari of an instrument that makes the shakuhachi sound more interesting in the first place?

I've played quite a few "easy" instruments in the past few years, some of them $5,000 "micro-specialty" instruments (not Neptune Large Hole), and I found them almost boring (sorry for pun).

#69 2010-06-08 22:25:35

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Jon Kypros wrote:

Hey Toby!
Objects which are far more complex are copied with exact precision using molds all the time. Things such as vinyl records, intricate figurines and human faces to name a few. It's pretty easy and most flutes will work. Each flute has to be examined and thought out. I've copied two bores so far and copying the outside, so as to be able to cast a whole flutes, is not a problem at all. The initial mold can be pricey for someone like me with limited means however the casted flutes would be really inexpensive to make. The only thing is that I lack really fantastic historical worth while flutes to copy and more importantly the trust of anyone who owns such precious instruments. I'd "risk" any of my own instruments as I know there is no danger but now I wonder where this would go? I don't want to just prove or disprove anything, as I am certain that a copied flute would be identical accept for being plastic, lighter, stronger, nobe, etc. The sky is the limit really.

Casting the outside of an object with molds is easy, but how about the inside, especially if you have negative curvature? I guess you could saw the object in half and do two half molds, and then combine them...I'm not volunteering my flutes to be sawn in half...

#70 2010-06-08 22:34:25

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Ambi wrote:

Jon - surely the test would be to make two flutes fromt he same mold and compare them - I think that the "Scientismist" position is that they might both be fine flutes, but that neither would play the same as the other, never mind as the original from which the mold is cast (either way I'd like one).

Toby - is a mirror finish necessarily the best? - I'm thinking sharks skin etc where the microstructure stabilises the boundary laminar flow. Anything similar possible and practicable in acoustics?

Cheers

shakuhachi and sharks are different kettles of fish...First of all, you don't have a laminar flow inside a wind instrument, you have a standing wave. Second, water and air are quite different media in terms of density, viscosity, etc.

Toby

#71 2010-06-08 22:45:06

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

The traditional shakuhachi is quite acoustically compromised, as it were. The small fingerholes--like those of the old simple-system flute or recorder--mean that the instrument has a quite low cutoff frequency, which means that the radiated sound tends to be somewhat weak and dull (lack of higher partials) compared to what you might be able to achieve with larger fingerholes, such as those on the modern flute.

But of course you would lose something in the bargain. There have been various efforts to rationalize and modernize the bassoon, all of which have failed, since the resulting instrument didn't sound like a bassoon anymore...

My Okuralo is interesting, in that it is basically a shakuhachi head married to a modern flute body. It is certainly not a flute, nor is it a shakuhachi, but contains characteristics of both.

#72 2010-06-09 00:22:29

Jam

Toby wrote:

Ambi wrote:

Cheers

shakuhachi and sharks are different kettles of fish...First of all, you don't have a laminar flow inside a wind instrument, you have a standing wave. Second, water and air are quite different media in terms of density, viscosity, etc.

Toby

I have this mental image of a shark/shakuhachi hybrid.

Sharkuhachi?

#73 2010-06-09 00:37:12

Moran from Planet X
Website

Heya, Brian: I think we're firmly off The Great Bamboo Outrage of 2010 C.E. as of mid-page 3 and into a new topic on shakuhachi design which is getting interesting (so far).

Could we get it split off when you have the time?

#74 2010-06-09 01:59:09

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

I heard that in the Edo, holes weren't placed so that they would produce a certain note, but rather for aesthetic reasons, centered between the nodes.

Wouldn't life be simple if it were just a matter of sitting on a mountaintop and blowing for ourselves...I have some Philippine ifugao nose flutes with three holes placed within easy reach of three fingers, and damn notes and suchlike...

#75 2010-06-09 10:58:30

radi0gnome
Website

Jon Kypros wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

Jon Kypros wrote:

The narrow bore of the YUU, Levenson's and Neptune's cast bores do not respond ideally to certain styles of playing and techniques.

Okay, which playing styles and techniques? I'm curious. (see below)

Nezasaha komi buki, muraiki and stuff that isn't suited to a narrow bore. It feels stuffy~

Chikuzen does pretty good with muraiki on a Yuu: http://www.shakuhachiyuu.com/MP3s/Micha … mprove.mp3

Maybe it feels stuffy but sounds good?

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Best sounding bamboo? If Humans can be cloned why not shakuhachi? Etc.

Board footer