Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-06 07:30:43

Toffe

How do you measure flute-length?

When you measure the length of the shakuhachi, to find out where to position the holes, where do you start to measure?
I mean on the utaguchi side...

Do you measure from the bottom of the blowing edge?
Do you measure from the highest point at the mouthpiece end of the shakuhachi?
If the back of the mouthpiece is slightly leaned (for the chin), do you measure fro the bottom of the leaning side?

I hope you understand my question. Depending on where you start measuring it may differ as much as 5 mm.
How do you do it?

#2 2006-06-06 10:48:25

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: How do you measure flute-length?

Toffe wrote:

When you measure the length of the shakuhachi, to find out where to position the holes, where do you start to measure?
I mean on the utaguchi side...

Do you measure from the bottom of the blowing edge?
Do you measure from the highest point at the mouthpiece end of the shakuhachi?
If the back of the mouthpiece is slightly leaned (for the chin), do you measure fro the bottom of the leaning side?

I hope you understand my question. Depending on where you start measuring it may differ as much as 5 mm.
How do you do it?

I measure from the highest point of the mouthpiece end. Come to think of it though, the 'theoretical' end of the flute is actually the beginning of the blowing edge.

I think the important thing is to be consistent where you start the measurement. Formulas are only approximations. There is almost always some adjustment needed. If you are consistent, you'll have a better educated guess of which way to adjust. With the formula I often use, the third hole usually needs to be moved a little south. The 4th hole usually needs to be moved a little north. The location of the holes will also vary depending on bore width, degree of taper, wall thickness, hole size, etc.

Good luck!

Ken

Board footer