Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-06 11:02:05

Toffe

Too breathy sound on the first hole.

All right.. now I've drilled the first hole on my first Shakuhachi.
It's a 64.9 in B. The first hole is D, and it's rather well tuned now.

But I have a problem... When releasing the first hole the sound changes alot.. it becomes more breathy and it's really hard to control the tone. Also it's virtually impossible to get anything else but windy noise when covering half the hole.

The hole is about 9mm wide, is that the problem?
Or is it related to the utaguchi? I didn't manage to make the angle very high at the utaguchi.

Here's a couple of pictures of the utaguchi.. don't laugh, it's my first try. Also the bamboo isn't the best and I didn't make it on a node.
But I have a couple of cheap ebay ones that doesn't have the utaguchi on a node and they sound allright.

http://altoguitar.com/shakuhachi/uta1.jpg
http://altoguitar.com/shakuhachi/uta2.jpg

I'm guessing 9mm is to small for finger holes on this size of shakuhachi.
But what do you think, please help me out.

Last edited by Toffe (2006-06-06 14:24:12)

#2 2006-06-06 15:00:20

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Too breathy sound on the first hole.

I'm not sure if this is what's creating your problem, but from your images, it looks to me as though the bevel angle on your utaguchi is too low (ie, needs to be a bit steeper). The low angle creates a larger radius in the actual blowing edge, and makes the 'depth' of the curve in the utaguchi too great.

A good rule of thumb, I think: If you place a straightedge across the utaguchi, the distance to the bottom of the curve should be around 4mm; looks like yours might be quite a bit deeper. Your airstream is thus too far from the blowing edge to give you good control and focus.

Here are a coupla close-ups:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6840/utaguchis0no.jpg

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-06-06 15:27:19

Toffe

Thx!
Is there any good info on how to cut the utaguchi?
I used a hacksaw and eyed it out, then I used a file to make the surface straight and then I sanded it.
But is there any good images out there on how to do it?

And my utaguchi is about 7 mm deep. Could I just file down the edges around it to make is more shallow?

Last edited by Toffe (2006-06-06 15:29:13)

#4 2006-06-06 17:51:26

edosan
Edomologist

Toffe wrote:

Thx!
I used a hacksaw and eyed it out, then I used a file to make the surface straight and then I sanded it.
But is there any good images out there on how to do it?

And my utaguchi is about 7 mm deep. Could I just file down the edges around it to make is more shallow?

Go to this link http://www.yungflutes.com/html_pages/making_page.html and click through all the 'next' links by the images. You are not far off in your approach--it just needs some refinement...

Regarding modifying your utaguchi: Since you haven't placed the utaguchi on a node, you might just cut a few millimeters off the blowing end and then increase the angle of the bevel a bit. This will affect the overall tuning, but it's very unlikely you'll notice it.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2006-06-06 18:23:23

kyoreiflutes
Website

I personally would scrap this piece, unless you think you could save the Ro and turn it into Chi (isn't that the next one? I forget, lol) by starting over on the next node. I think that playing this flute will hurt your chin in the end, and you're probably not even getting quite enough air into the flute in the first place, due to the lack of a real chin rest/breath return. You could sand it down and start again just below your current cut, but you need the thickness of the bamboo near the node to really make it work. It'd also change the pitch of your Ro.

I'd just really sit and look at flutes forawhile, cut some small pieces of bamboo on the nodes and practice making utaguchi on them. Until you get your Utaguchi cut down, the rest of the flute will siffer greatly. Ken LaCosses' guide is also QUITE invaluable.

I'd also not use bamboo that's so green, if you can help it.

I only say all this because that's about what my first flute looked like. I had seen maybe 3-4 pics of them before I tried making one, and I regret it still. I could've been more patient and such earlier, and I'd be happier now, I think. But that's me.

Good luck to you!

-Eddie
Kyorei Flutes

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#6 2006-06-06 18:30:23

dstone
Website

Toffe wrote:

All right.. now I've drilled the first hole on my first Shakuhachi.
It's a 64.9 in B. The first hole is D, and it's rather well tuned now.

Hi Toffe.  Nice work.  If you haven't continued and noticed this already, you might find the tuning of that first hole will change as you drill subsequent holes up the flute.

Toffe wrote:

You've already received good advice from those more experienced than I, but I'll add this... 

If you find the edges of the skin prone to splintering when cutting, some masking tape might help. Or even pre-slicing the skin with a fine knife on the line where the saw will exit.

If you've cut the utaguchi too deep, you might try your hand at a circular insert.  Picture a ring inserted around the inside diameter at the top, of bamboo or PVC or wood or bamboo dust + super glue.  This can serve a couple of purposes: 1) it can allow you to re-cut/file the utaguchi shallower.  2) It can provide a breath return and/or smaller opening with more meat at the back to file at an angle and round off to fit your lips & chin better.  As you point out, you can basically file the height down to accomplish #1 in this case because you're not at a node, but the 2nd aspect might still be useful.

Happy hacking!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

Board footer