Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-06-30 11:39:30

Austin Shadduck
Website

Books on Hogaku or Zen Buddhism

Can anyone recommend books or articles in English that deal with hogaku or Zen Buddhism? I'm a graduate student in composition and want to do more research on traditional Japanese musical forms, aesthetics, concepts of melody/harmony, orchestration, etc., but I'm not sure where to go. I've read a number of excellent articles relating specifically to shakuhachi, but few of them go into great detail about the music itself (outside of notation and performance practice). Also, are there any recommendations for books on the history, beliefs, and practices of Zen Buddhism?

Here's a list of some books and articles I know of that deal with traditional Japanese music. Hopefully you can add to it!

-Dean, Britten. 1985. "That 'Howling' Music: Japanese Hogaku in Contrast to Western Art Music." Monumenta Nipponica. 40(2): 147-162.
-Everett, Yayoi Uno and Frederick Lau. 2004. Locating East Asia in Western Art Music. Middletown, Connecticut: Wesleyan University Press. (Takemitsu's essay on sawari is fantastic!)
-Harich-Schneider, Eta. 1973. A History of Japanese Music. London: Oxford University Press. (I wish this one weren't so hard to get a hold of.)
-Scott, A.C. 1975. "Reflections on the Aesthetic Background of the Performing Arts of East Asia." Asian Music. 6(1/2), Perspectives on Asian Music: Essays in Honor of Dr. Laurence E. R. Picken: 207-216.

Or there's Minoru Miki's Composing for Japanese Instruments, but it also doesn't go into much detail about the music.

Last edited by Austin Shadduck (2010-06-30 11:44:08)

“His first, last and only formal instruction for me was embodied in one word: observe.” -Billy Strayhorn on Duke Ellington

#2 2010-06-30 14:46:55

Rick Riekert

Re: Books on Hogaku or Zen Buddhism

Austin, there are 3 standard works I can recommend. William Malm's "Traditional Japanese Music and Musical Instruments", D.T. Suzuki's "Zen and its Influence on Japanese Culture", and Heinrich Dumoulin's "History of Zen Buddhism".

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#3 2010-06-30 18:16:06

purehappiness

zen mind, beginners mind is a must too.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#4 2010-06-30 18:17:11

Austin Shadduck
Website

Rick Riekert wrote:

Austin, there are 3 standard works I can recommend. William Malm's "Traditional Japanese Music and Musical Instruments", D.T. Suzuki's "Zen and its Influence on Japanese Culture", and Heinrich Dumoulin's "History of Zen Buddhism".

I've read the Malm, but I'll have to check out the others. Thanks for the suggestions!

“His first, last and only formal instruction for me was embodied in one word: observe.” -Billy Strayhorn on Duke Ellington

#5 2010-07-01 06:08:51

purehappiness

Yes, anything by D.T. Suzuki or Shunryu Suzuki would be great for zen buddhism reading.

Last edited by purehappiness (2010-07-01 06:10:11)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

Board footer