Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-07-09 10:21:13

Itamar Foguel
Website

Shakulute headjoint

Did any one ever tried to make one of those?

I know Monty makes them, and as a silver-flute player im eager to try one of those, but since a cant afford it, i wana try and make it myself , but im not sure about the specs.

i tried to make once a bamboo mouthpiece with a Bansuri maker who is a friend of myn, it came terribly out of tune especially in the second register, i think the reason was a not "even" enough bamboo and the fact that the brass joint we made was not inlaid in the bamboo...

Any way,
Any one have had any experience at it? (i hope its not patented or something ><)

Thanks

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2010-07-09 10:23:24)

#2 2010-07-12 23:22:46

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Re: Shakulute headjoint

Hi Itamar,

I visited Monty last year and tried and discussed the Shakulute, and we compared it to my Okuralo, which is basically a concert flute with metal shakuhachi-type headjoint. The most important thing is that the bore of your headjoint should be completely cylindrical at the diameter of the flute body, usually about 17mm. This is different from a normal flute headjoint, which gets narrower near the embouchure hole. The very top, at the utaguchi end, can flare to about 20mm in the last few mm, but if there is any variation in the diameter further down the tube it will completely screw up the octaves, as you found out.

In terms of construction, the biggest problem will be to find the appropriate-size tubing to make the tenon. There should be no break or gap or bump where the metal tube attaches inside the bamboo. If you can solve those problems the rest is pretty easy.

You will need to construct some kind of thumb rest for holding the flute vertically. There are several keys that become a bit awkward in that position, but nothing fatal. When I get back to Tokyo next week I can send you some measurements for the length from end to top of utaguchi for playing A=440.

Using a shakuhachi-type head joint on a concert flute is very interesting: the tone is much more concentrated than the somewhat hollow sound of the side-blown flute, with a more powerful low end. And of course you have the wide blowing and expressive possibilities of the utaguchi. One thing to know is that in all end-blown flutes, the third octave is about 25 cents sharp (starting around high F or G). There is an acoustic reason for this, and it might be possible to design an utaguchi-type head with an expansion just below the utaguchi that would correct this, but this possibility has not be widely explored. If you do run across a source of metal tubing of the right diameter please give me a contact!

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2010-07-12 23:23:40)

#3 2010-07-16 15:10:56

Itamar Foguel
Website

Thanks Toby for the info,

Actually i have a brass tube that can be used as a tenon that a jeweler friend of myn made me. it fits my flute but im not sure there is no bump at all where it connects to the flute body.
Its a pretty easy job to make those but to make them very accurate might be more problematic.
another option might be to turn the tenon on a metal lath but i didnt had opportunity to turn metal this this, no idea how it works.
if i will find the right bamboo i will give it a try with the brass tenon i have and see what comes out.

And if you could send me some measurements like you said that could really help.

Thanks Again

Itamar

#4 2010-07-16 22:00:23

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

If the brass tube fits in your tenon receiver it should work fine. I'll post measurements in a couple of days, and give you a link to some pictures of the Okuralo and headjoint.

#5 2010-07-19 22:29:41

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Hi Itamar,

I did some measurements for you. My Okuralo has both side-blown and end-blown head joints. The measurement for A=440 using the normal side-blown head is 60.5cm from the end of the foot joint to the center of the embouchure hole. With the shakuhachi-type head, the measurement for 61.4 to the deepest part of the utaguchi cut.

The utaguchi head is cylindrical--the same measurement as the body--about 18.7mm. The very last three mm at the very top flares out so that the diameter of the top is about 19.7mm. Everything else looks just like a shakuhachi. Here is a pic:

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78 … _front.jpg

Board footer