Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-07-13 09:32:53

Lorka

Sanya Sugagaki

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this, or indeed if it is an appropriate question, but I am trying to lay my paws on a copy of Sanya Sugagaki to practice.  I can't seem to find this piece anywhere. 

Are there any copyright free pdf copies around, or individual copies for sale (which I would then scan and use as a pdf for myself)? 

Like many others, I am not interested in buying a big (and expensive) book full of notation when I am after a single piece.  Thanks.

Last edited by Lorka (2010-07-13 09:33:54)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2010-07-13 11:09:57

Rick Riekert

Re: Sanya Sugagaki

My good man, this should do the trick.

http://sound.jp/mujuan/music.html

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#3 2010-07-13 12:17:35

Lorka

Thanks Rick.  Much appreciated.  I took a good look at it, and compared it against the kurahasi recording.

Everything is clear, but for one little area of confusion...

on line 2, 5-7, at the top of the line there is a funky note and in English it says to repeat.  When I get to line 2, am I starting out by repeating Re?  Then going into U-Ri.  In the recording it does not sound like that, though this would not be the first time that notation and recording differ in some ways.  I'm just not sure what note is being repeated.  Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Lorka (2010-07-13 12:54:04)

~ Lao Tzu~

#4 2010-07-13 13:46:16

edosan
Edomologist

Lorka wrote:

Thanks Rick.  Much appreciated.  I took a good look at it, and compared it against the kurahasi recording.

Everything is clear, but for one little area of confusion...

on line 2, 5-7, at the top of the line there is a funky note and in English it says to repeat.  When I get to line 2, am I starting out by repeating Re?  Then going into U-Ri.  In the recording it does not sound like that, though this would not be the first time that notation and recording differ in some ways.  I'm just not sure what note is being repeated.  Sorry for the confusion.

As in most all repeats, you just repeat exactly what was there the first time through.

Note that there may be slight differences the second time through a repeat. For example, on the Kurahashi solo recording, line 2 on the PDF, he takes a breath or two in slightly different places, and uses slightly different ornamentation in a couple places, but the notation and the sense of the line are the same, both times.

Just the master keeping it interesting...

Last edited by edosan (2010-07-13 13:52:36)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2010-07-13 13:59:50

Lorka

Good stuff, thanks Ed.

~ Lao Tzu~

Board footer