Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-08 13:39:49

Toffe

A newcomer from Sweden. Hello everybody!

Hello.
I've already fired away a bunch of questions in the "making forum", and maybe I should introduce myself to all of you kind people taking the time to answer my numerous threads.

I'm a 27 year old music teacher in Sweden. I live here with my wife and our 4 months old daughter.
For 6 years I studied classical guitar, composition, theory and teaching at the Academy of Music here in Sweden. Now I
teach music full time at a music high school (ages 16-20, dunno what the grade is called in english)
My wife is a pianist and we are both mad about odd instruments. Our entire home is filled of them. I have a special passion for
different flutes and I own about 40 different ones. My main flute is the tin whistle, but I'm moving more towards bamboo flutes.
My wife likes bowed instruments and other nice stringed instruments. She's awsome.

I don't know when I first discovered the shakuhachi, but I think it was sometime after I bought a Quena from a street musician.
I probably looked up other edgeblown flutes. For about 5 years I have listened to, and looked at pictures of shakuhachi. I can't get enough of
it. My all time favourite Shakuhachi recording is on the Ravi Shankar & Friends record "Towards the Rising Sun". The improvisation on the
Rokudan theme is amazing! The player is Hozan Yamamoto. It's magic.

I have now come to the point where I just can't hold back anymore. I have to build shakuhachi!
So here I am now, just starting out and having all the fun in the world! I'm making flutes most of you would use as broom sticks,
but it's just so much fun!

Thank you all for hanging here and sharing your passion and knowledge. In due time I hope I'll be able to give back to the community.

Take care.

// Christoffer, Sweden.

Board footer