Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-07-23 03:11:20

KibaXIII

ohayou gouzaimasuka everyone!!!

no i am not from Japan.  however, that was quite an eye catcher was it not?  anyways, tonight(or rather this morning) was my first time doing the aburanki method of of drying.  I came here hoping that i could get help in the crafting of my shakuhachi.  currently i only have three.  i may have more later today though... smile

#2 2010-07-23 11:05:39

edosan
Edomologist

Re: ohayou gouzaimasuka everyone!!!

KibaXIII wrote:

no i am not from Japan.  however, that was quite an eye catcher was it not?  anyways, tonight(or rather this morning) was my first time doing the aburanki method of of drying.  I came here hoping that i could get help in the crafting of my shakuhachi.  currently i only have three.  i may have more later today though... smile

What you probably want to have written is "ohayo gozaimashita". Good luck with your shakuhachi making, and welcome to the forum.

Note that there is a search engine on the forum (see top left right under the forum title for the navigation links), and a flutemaking section in the index, here:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewforum.php?id=10

Many threads to look through there to help you on your way.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-07-23 12:46:59

KibaXIII

Thanks much edosan.  i hope for all of our successfulness!

#4 2010-07-23 15:39:03

rpowers

edosan wrote:

What you probably want to have written is "ohayo gozaimashita".

Now that you've demonstrated the level of your knowledge, please help the rest of us learn. too.

Is there a simple reason why the morning greeting should be expressed using the past tense?

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#5 2010-07-23 19:27:33

edosan
Edomologist

Well, jeez, Mr. Powers, expert in all things, and shooter at edosan:

It shouldn't, but he was obviously not even aware of the 'masu' ending to begin with.

Now, don't you have something useful to do, like participating in a barbeque somewhere...off-planet, perhaps?

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2010-07-23 20:44:40

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

rpowers wrote:

Is there a simple reason why the morning greeting should be expressed using the past tense?

I'd like to address Rpowers' question here.  Indeed, the morning greeting would not be spoken in past tense.  It may be that Edosan was confusing it with the all purpose greeting of 'otsukare sama deshita' which is used when parting and 'otsukare sama desu' when greeting.  Though this phrase can be used in any setting, it is typically used in a work setting.  The morning greeting, as is the case for any other time-of-day relative greeting, is given in the present tense.  KibaXIII's greeting of Ohayou gozaimasuka everyone!!! is actually saying 'Is it a good morning everyone!!!'  I suppose there may be some metaphysical depth to that question and would better be posed in the Random Zen, Religion and Philosophy (ARCHIVED) section...posthumously of course, or the Health Issues section.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#7 2010-07-23 23:25:17

KibaXIII

Jeff Cairns wrote:

KibaXIII's greeting of Ohayou gozaimasuka everyone!!! is actually saying 'Is it a good morning everyone!!!'  I suppose there may be some metaphysical depth to that question and would better be posed in the Random Zen, Religion and Philosophy (ARCHIVED) section...posthumously of course, or the Health Issues section.

Wow! interesting reply Jeff!  I didn't even intend for that to edge on ending up in another section. smile  I just wanted to make a catching title.  i guess it worked hunh?

#8 2010-07-24 01:55:57

rpowers

edosan wrote:

Well, jeez, Mr. Powers, expert in all things, and shooter at edosan:

Kind of missing the point--ANY forum member who takes it upon himself to correct another member should feel obligated to be . . . well, correct.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

Board footer