Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-09 04:51:47

Toffe

Tuning the thumb hole.

I know what notes the front holes are supposed to have. But what note is the thumb supposed to play?
I'm about to drill it and I need to find the note the flute is supposed to play when all holes are released.

All: D
1:   F
2:   G
3:   A
4:   C
Thumb: ?

#2 2006-06-09 09:35:14

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Tuning the thumb hole.

Toffe wrote:

I know what notes the front holes are supposed to have. But what note is the thumb supposed to play?
I'm about to drill it and I need to find the note the flute is supposed to play when all holes are released.

All: D
1:   F
2:   G
3:   A
4:   C
Thumb: ?

The note sounded when the thumb hole is closed is called 'Ri' (lower octave C) or 'Hi' (second octave C--the first and second holes are also closed for these notes).

When the thumb hole is opened, the note sounded is 'I' ("ee", the same pitch as the second-octave D, or 'Ro-kan'--the pitch is the same, but the coloration of the sound is quite different than Ro-kan). Generally, the  first and second holes are also closed when playing this note.

If this fingering is overblown, the note will be up another octave (two octaves above the lowest Ro), and is called 'Go no Hi'. Generally, the second hole remains closed for this note.

Of course, all the above applies to a 1.8 (D) flute with respect to the actual note pitches...

If this seems complex, it isn't when you get used to it--it is just in the nature of shakuhachi fingering lore....

Last edited by edosan (2006-06-09 09:36:59)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer