World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-08-13 19:35:30

James Nyoraku Schlefer
Dai Shihan
Website

Bargemusic performances of new music for Shakuhachi

I am very excited to announce that I will be performing four concerts at one of New York's most prestigious chamber music venues, Bargemusic - NYC's floating concert hall. It is part of the "Here and Now" series which features composers playing their own music. I will play Brooklyn Sanya, plus my Duo. No.3 for shakuhachi and 21-sting koto, with Yumi Kurosawa. It's also great to be participating, as a performer of chamber music for Japanese instruments, on a series that for 30 years has defined chamber music solely in terms of the European traditions.
The link to the website for directions, tickets and other details is here:
http://www.bargemusic.org/calendar.html#sept2/       

The festival is Thursday, Sept. 2 through Sunday, Sept. 5. (Yes I know it's Labor Day weekend.) If you've never been to a concert on the Barge, you are in for a treat. Located at Fulton Ferry Landing, the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, there are spectacular views of the Manhattan skyline, and just steps from the River Cafe, Grimaldi's Pizza, Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, and the brand new Brooklyn Bridge Park, Pier 1, all in the heart of DUMBO.

Be forewarned, Bargemusic is in fact a barge that floats in the East River, and even though it is moored to the dock, it can rock quite a bit when boats pass by, so if you are prone to seasickness, bring the Dramamine. Besides, that way if you fall asleep during the show, you can blame it on the drugs.

James

Board footer