Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-11 12:53:19

Toffe

Cutting the Utaguchi

Ok. Now I'm on my second flute smile.
This one I want to put as much time as I can on the utaguchi. I've taken the advice from some of you guys and looked at some really good pictures of utaguchis. So now I have cut the bambu just above the node and sanded it down to make it ready for cutting the utaguchi.

But how do you measure the angle and where to start cutting? I've looked at the pics, and in the LaCosse PDF. Also I looked at Perry's wonderful pictures of him making a shakuhachi.  I did a try on a scrap piece, but it came out way to deep. I could see that Perry first put a steel ruler over the bore and marked it with a line and then cut from it. How do you mark where the cut is supposed to end?

http://www.yungflutes.com/html_pages/ma … ng_02.html
http://www.yungflutes.com/html_pages/ma … ng_03.html

Great photos, by the way!

I'm thinking that maybe it's easier to just use a file and grind the utaguchi down instead of using the hacksaw first. But please, throw your advice at me. You've been more than helpful so far!

// The eager Swede.

#2 2006-06-11 14:00:25

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Cutting the Utaguchi

I've found that not cutting first works better for me. Sometimes I'll cut just a little bit off, but you have to be careful: you can always take away, but it's hard to add after it's gone. Better safe than sorry, etc.

Like I said before, it's just something you'll have to practice on. I wouldn't worry about every single time you cut something "off"... just relax and keep trying. I seriously practiced on something like 20 small pieces of bamboo to get my utaguchi skills down, and I think I did a decent job. I really like most of my utaguchi, and it's something I'm picky about.

Each piece is different, and I've never used a guide to tell me what angle the cut should be. I used my Yuu to help eyeball the angle, but it's still different for each flute.

Seriously, grab some scrap bamboo and cut it into "node" pieces, big enough to hold while you practice on the Utaguchi. I wouldn't keep practicing on pieces you're going to turn into flutes until you get your skills down, but that's just me.

Good luck!

-E

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2006-06-11 14:01:57)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-06-11 14:13:59

Toffe

Thank you. I'll file away then!

I'm running out of scrap pieces I'm afraid. As mentioned Bamboo is VERY hard to come by in Sweden. I only had one 1.7 meter piece that I was able to get two flutes out of. So.. I only have one more node to practise on, before the next flute piece.

I'm looking for good importers of bamboo here. One has promised me to let me come loot through a big container with bamboo coming in next month. I'll hopefully find some good things there. I also wrote to a company that should be able to ship 210cm "selected tonkin quality" rods of 22-24 mm diameter. I'm hoping alot for them, they're really cheap! About one dollar a piece. But the shipping might be bad. I also found this guy that imports bamboo for asian restaurants. I'll try to borrow a car and drive up to his house and see what he has to offer

I wish there was a Bamboo'R'Us here somewhere. If there was I'd hack utaguchis aaaaaall day long, every day!

Do you just cut by eye? It seemed Perry was very careful with measuring to get the exact angle.

Last edited by Toffe (2006-06-11 14:15:48)

#4 2006-06-11 19:29:55

edosan
Edomologist

Toffe wrote:

Do you just cut by eye? It seemed Perry was very careful with measuring to get the exact angle.

After you've cut a few, you might be able to do 'em by eye. Until then:

Thirty degrees is a good angle to use. It's a good idea to make a guage for the angle out of some fairly stiff cardboard, using a protracter to get the angle right. This will give you something to look at when you lay out the cut: Making the mark at the bore AND in the correct place on the outside of the shaft where the cut ends.

Something like this:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/25/utaguage4if.jpg

This isn't very hi-res (96ppi), but it will print well enough, I think, to use as a pattern. Note that the 'angle of the backcut for chinrest' is a function more of personal preference AND the diameter of the bamboo culm: Big diameter, long flutes often need a slightly steeper angle to be comfortable.

Study these images (from Perry Yung's site) again carefully.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9444/utamarkcut4ac.jpg

Notice where the line on the blowing end hits the bore...

Use the cardboard guage to estimate the depth of the cut along the outside surface of the flute.

It's important to put enough time into laying out and marking the cut line. Also critical (IMO) to put the bamboo in a padded bench vise to make the cut.

Take another good hard look at these images, both to get your angle right, and to see how deeply to cut at the outside of the flute:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6840/utaguchis0no.jpg

Piece of cake...

Last edited by edosan (2006-06-11 21:03:23)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2006-06-11 21:20:55

kyoreiflutes
Website

Edosan wins. wink

That cardboard guide is a good idea, I never thought of that.

If you're really hurting for bamboo, what could we do to help you out? I have a VERY large bamboo shop in town, and they ship. I don't know about to Sweden, lol, but you never know. I don't know too much about this stuff, but I'll help if I can. Do you have a flute right now?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#6 2006-06-12 06:06:00

Toffe

Thank you both!
Thank you Edosan for the great utaguchi guide! I'll try that tonight on my next flute.

About the bamboo...
I just got mail from a company that may ship me 50 bamboo canes of 210 cm.
The diameter is 22-24 mm. It's probably not madake but it's "strong tonkin quality" and really cheap. A buck each.
Is the diameter good for making different flutes? I'm thinking that I might use these to learn the craft and perhaps sell some
to make money to buy some real nice pieces of bamboo when I've learned to make better flutes.

What do you think abou those canes?

"Selected strong tonkin bamboo canes. Length: 210 cm,  Diameter 22-24 mm."
1 dollar each and 27 dollars for shipping. (7.5 swedish crowns each and 200 crowns for shipping)

Last edited by Toffe (2006-06-12 06:08:39)

#7 2006-06-12 14:35:05

kyoreiflutes
Website

Impossible to tell without seeing them, and I don't have a measurements converter. wink

-E

#8 2006-06-12 14:41:08

Toffe

That'll be about 0.8-1 inch diameter and 6.9 foot tall.
What's a good diameter for 1.8-ish shakuhachi flutes?

#9 2006-06-12 15:06:47

kyoreiflutes
Website

My 1.8 is just over 1-3/8", the Yuu is 1.5, and my 2.1 is just under 1-3/8. That is THE thinnest I can see making a shakuhachi: I've seen ones a little thinner, and found them hard to play, and they had weak Utaguchi.

I'd also go for the shortest pieces you can find: this should save on shipping, and you could try and ask for only the lower 3-4 feet of each piece, if they'll do that for you.

The place I buy from always has some near-root in the back that I've used quite effectively. It doesn't have to be root-end, but it sure helps.

How soon are you planning on selling flutes?

-E

#10 2006-06-12 15:28:08

Toffe

kyoreiflutes wrote:

How soon are you planning on selling flutes?

Well.. I'm in no rush. But as soon as I manage to start making flutes that play well I think I'll try selling them rather cheap.
shakuhachi are very difficult to come by in Sweden and I think there is only one professional player in the entire country.
So maybe I could make flutes that are suitable for beginners and intermediate players, that are cheap enough for people
to buy out of curiousity.. and get them hooked smile

It's acctually just a matter of bamboo. I'm not giving up until I get the hang of this! I just ordered acouple of books from Monty.
Hopefully I'll get some good ideas from there.

I just messed up the utaguchi on the last piece I had sad
It's playable but not as good as I wished for. I used the cardboard model. Really good, but I took off on the wrong side and ended up with
a bit to small angle.

I find that the bottom of my blowing edge gets way too thin. Eventually it crumbles and I end up with a V-formed utaguchi... Is that because
I don't get the angle right when filing down?

Or do you acctuallt sand down the blowing edge by hand?
It seems from the pictures that the blowing edge is the result of the angle when cutting the 30 degree side.
Do you work the blowing edge in any way?

Last edited by Toffe (2006-06-12 18:45:44)

#11 2006-06-13 02:32:25

kyoreiflutes
Website

Oh, see, don't actually CUT to the guide, just use the guide as where you will end up. Does that make sense? Start much higher than the guide, and take away as you need.

See, I still don't like to use a saw for the first part at all, but I also don't have the best saws in the world. If anything, I cut off a fairly small chunk, just to get started, then sand the rest. I'd suggest getting a small hand sander, unless you LIKE aching hands. wink

And about getting that crumbling V... what you need to do is start higher above the node and go down from there. The act of placing the utaguchi correctly in relation to the thick part of the bamboo usually results in a better utaguchi. That combined with getting the proper angle will get you to where you need to go.

This will also help result in giving you a better edge to rest your chin on: you'll see what a difference it makes. My first flutes were pretty uncomfortable to play, but my new ones are very nice and comfy.

Take the piece you just messed up and practice cutting and finishing Utaguchi on the other nodes you now have for practice. See how things works out? Just look at these pics, and think carefully about how far above the top node you'll want to cut in order to have enough material to shape your lip area and utaguchi. A half hour or so (or more) of studying the flute and pics and the guide will go a VERY long way in helping you get the shape you desire.

I hope this helps... Do you have a flute now?

-E

#12 2006-06-13 04:32:13

Toffe

Yes, I have one finished that plays allright, and one in the works. The last one is the one I messed up the utaguchi on, but I think I'll finish it anyway.

#13 2006-06-13 06:39:41

EricSwain

I'm an amateur so take my advice with a grain of salt.
I've made probalby 30 shakuhachi with wildly varying degrees of success but what I have found works best for me is to make sure I clean up the node I will be cutting the utaguchi on first. I use a dremel tool with a small sanding drum for this. Make sure that the inside is sanded cleanly and is approximately the shape you want. This will help with gauging how deep to make the cut for the utaguchi and keep you from making a mistake and going too deep.

As far as actually cutting the utaguchi I use a table mounted upright belt sander. It has a firmly mounted rest at the front which I can move to the angle I need and allows me to check progress as often as I need to make sure I don't go too far. The only problem with these is that it is pretty easy to rotate the shaft of the potential flute and get a rounded surface for the blowing edge. These are still playable but it really cuts down on the quality of sound I can produce.

off topic.
As far as making a living selling flutes I cant see how anyone really succeeds. When I add up my time spent on a flute and consider how much I feel they are worth (I am highly critical of myself) I would only make 1 or 2 dollars per hour. Right now I content myself with giving flutes away as gifts and I find the appreciation of the flute worth more than the $75 to $100 I could get for them.
Let me know if you figure out a way to be successfull. I'd love to quit network engineering and devote my time to making and selling flutes. smile

#14 2006-06-13 08:08:48

John Roff

Hi Toffe

To cut utaguchi I make a mark where I would like the final edge to be, and cut a bit shy of that with a very tensioned hacksaw or swiss army knife saw (the best in my experience). Then I wrap 60 or 100 grit sandpaper around a flat file, hold the flute firmly, and sand tillI hit my line. I adjust as I go, checking all the time against my line of sight down the flute, so I don't go off centre. Then once I'm happy with the utaguchi depth I sand the edge with 250 grit paper, and round off the blowing edge slightly. Then I work the back toget the chin angle right. My best edges have been when I marked carefully where I wanted them, cleaned up the inside first, and kept comparing the edge to the Yuu. Having said that, some variations on the depth and width have produced really responsive flutes in the 2.4 category. Every flute is different. I found it helpful to look at images of the flutes by lots of different makers.

I wish you well with your adventures.

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#15 2006-06-13 09:54:31

edosan
Edomologist

Two first-class pieces of advice for utaguchi making...

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#16 2006-06-13 12:25:38

evan kubota

Some tips:

- cut above where you want it to end up. I eyeball the angle, which seems to work fine, but you should really focus on where the cut will intersect the blowing end (tangent to the bore, or   slightly outside it).

- file/sand to the appropriate depth

- you probably will need to shape the utaguchi itself with a file. Bamboo tends to get flexible in thin layers and simply sanding a given angle won't necessarily result in a geometrically clean, curving edge.

- there can be a very small amount of bevel on the inner edge (bore side). This ensures a sharp edge even if you file the actual shape.

#17 2006-06-13 13:36:42

kyoreiflutes
Website

I used a stationary sander once, and I liked it, except that you have to be VERY careful not to over do it, and I didn't have any kind of guide for the bambooo as I did it. It can move around a lot if you're not careful. If I had the machine, though, I'd use it again.

And, personally, I'd say not to use a Dremel until you really get to know what you're doing: again, a power device will go VERY quicly if you're not careful. I'd say use your hands for awhile, THEN go to power tools: that way, you get a better feel for the bamboo and what it wants to tell you. I say learn how they did it back then, use some of those techniques, THEN get busy with modern stuff. I just think that's the best way to get good at making.

On selling... I'm not sure how ANYone makes a living doing this, if anyone does. I suppose, if you had a very small place in the woods and used little to no resources, it could work. That's IF you have the money for the property, that is. wink  Anyway... I have a friend in Florida that makes flutes for a living on eBay, and I'm not sure how he's making money right now. I'm not sure how many he sells, or what his profit is like or anything, but it works for him somehow. Of course, he's moving to NY to live in some apartment that will only cost him $300/month -- the jerk -- so I guess he doesn't need much.

I wanted to make and sell these, too, but it's kind of a pain for awhile if you aren't an older, experienced maker, because those guys have not only been doing this for awhile, they've also made serious connections and can get bamboo more easily than some of us. I'm not sure if selling flutes is ALL they do, but I assume they have to make SOME money off it to keep doing it the way they do. That's one of the main things about making flutes, in my opinion: if you look at eBay, you'll see Perry's flutes, my friend from Florida's, and one or two others. Except for Perry and my friend Jon (and the occasional awesome flute from Japan), a lot of the flutes you'll see on eBay are, well, not so awesome, just to be nice. There are a LOT of junk flutes out there, and, personally, I don't see a need for such things when there are already PLENTY. I've noticed some pretty amazingly BAD flutes on eBay, and have even wanted to write the guy and talk to him about how to cut utaguchi, or how to bind, or to not claim you're a "Zen Monk" who makes flutes. But I'm a nice guy, and those people will either learn or they won't; it's not my life.

So, I guess you have to think about all the time it takes to GET the bamboo, then how long it takes to make a good flute that you'd actually LIKE to have your name on (what's the point, otherwise?), and how much you think you could really charge. Remember, there are TONS of "hocchiku" flutes out there that are just junk. If you make flutes for sale, my advice is to wait until you've got something good, THEN sell it: the product will hopefully speak for itself, and you'll have better sales, and people won't be upset at the quality of your flutes.

My friend Jon makes mostly hocchiku (out of good timber 'boo) for sale on eBay, and, aside from some utaguchi issues he's since worked out, he has some good quality hocchiku, with thick walls and a solid feel. If I weren't already a maker who can make pretty good hocciku, I'd get one of his. He just made me a custom 2.5 that I can't wait to get. It's one of his first root-ends, and I'm pretty excited about playing it.

I don't know if any of that matters, I'm just babbling. lol.

-Eddie

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2006-06-13 14:09:50)

#18 2006-06-13 14:11:08

kyoreiflutes
Website

Does anyone know if I can ship Bamboo to Toffe? What kinds of restrictions are there, and does anyone have an idea as to how much it would cost? Danke.

-E

#19 2006-06-13 14:46:33

Toffe

You guys are the best!!
I just can't wait to get more bamboo.
By the way is "hocchiku" like... non rootend shakuhachi with natural bore and no utaguchi inlay? Or what does it mean?

Eddie.. first of all. Thank you so much for all the time you've spent answering my threads. You're a great guy and your setting the best example for how a community is supposed to work!
I've learned so much from reading your posts and looking at your flute pictures.

It would be awsome if it was possible for you to help me ship some bamboo from your bamboo-shop.  Maybe it's possible to ship like 4-foot pieces. If you find the time to look into it and if it doesn't some out as expensive as shipping contraband diamonds it would be awsome! But don't go through too much trouble if it's hard to make it.

By the way... I got ny two books from Monty today smile

"The Japanese Shakuhachi Flute" by Monty and "Kinko Shakuhachi - One Maker's Approach". Hopefully I'll learn something from these books. They seem awsome!
Some good utaguchi instructions i Monty's book.

// Toffe

#20 2006-06-13 17:32:32

kyoreiflutes
Website

Well, I've learned a lot over the last 2 years, and I think it's terribly important to share such knowledge, as most of us here do.

And, while I'm not sure about EVERYthing a hochikku is, it's a simple, non-root flute with no inlay and no additon to the bore, just a simple, easy flute.

I'll keep working on the shipping thing. I'll let you know.

-E

#21 2006-06-13 18:03:20

EricSwain

You really do have to take alot of time getting to know how fast the power tools cut before I would use them on a flute. I have been making other things out of wood for 16 years now so I'm pretty used to it. The dremel tool with the normal sized sanding drum on SLOW speed works wonders getting the Utaguchi shaped right and keeping it symetrical in relation to the bamboo.

I have to admit I did make a few flutes using hand tools when I first started but I have some hand problems that make using manual tools tough to use for too long.

#22 2006-06-13 23:43:52

kyoreiflutes
Website

Yeah, that's my problem, too, and I tend to work with painful hands longer than I should. If I'd just move over to small power tools I'd have far less problems, but I'm glad I used my hands until now. I'd probably do both now.

-E

#23 2006-06-13 23:57:15

evan kubota

FWIW, filing the utaguchi from the beginning would take forever - you really should carefully use a hacksaw or coping saw to cut off much of the material. Filing from that point takes only a few minutes, even if you work slowly.

#24 2006-06-14 01:24:51

edosan
Edomologist

The best hand tool for cutting the utaguchi bevel (or dang near ANYthing else...):

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5913/dozukisaws0uu.jpg

The good news: Lots of control and accuracy, and quite fast for a hand tool. The bottom one is especially easy to use for that application as it has a stiff spine, but the top one has two different sets of teeth: one for crosscut (more teeth per inch), one for ripping. These are Japanese saws, called 'Dozuki'. EXcellent tools, both.

The bad news: They ain't cheap. A machine-made one costs $28-36, and a hand made one starts at about $133, but the machine-made ones work just fine (the hand made ones are a revelation...).

Hacksaws work fine, and are cheap, but Dozuki--whole different world, and a must-have if you can spend the $$ and are doing a lot of flutes. After you get the hang of using it, sanding and finishing the bevel surface takes very little time.

Last edited by edosan (2006-06-14 01:25:59)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#25 2006-06-14 02:25:27

kyoreiflutes
Website

Those are excellent saws, edosan. I like Japanese hand tools quite a bit, and it's definately worth it to have hand-made ones, just like with most things I suppose.

What do you do about splintering? It's the main reason I use sandpaper and files, since I have less chance of splintering. (I also do it so I don't over-cut)

-E

Board footer