Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2006-06-14 02:38:21

evan kubota

Re: Cutting the Utaguchi

The other nice thing about Japanese saws is that the pull stroke is the cutting stroke, which is much more logical and efficient.

Add to the list of tools and materials I need to pick up this winter in Japan...

#27 2006-06-14 09:59:56

edosan
Edomologist

kyoreiflutes wrote:

What do you do about splintering?

Doesn't happen, unless you keep your eyes closed while cutting...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#28 2006-06-14 12:54:04

kyoreiflutes
Website

So they must be fairly fine saws, then. I have a think Western one that I do like, and it cuts on the draw... it makes a huge difference.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#29 2010-06-09 17:45:48

jynx_474

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Edosan wins. wink

That cardboard guide is a good idea, I never thought of that.

If you're really hurting for bamboo, what could we do to help you out? I have a VERY large bamboo shop in town, and they ship. I don't know about to Sweden, lol, but you never know. I don't know too much about this stuff, but I'll help if I can. Do you have a flute right now?

-E

Also, you could use a mitre box for cutting them (set it to 30 degrees, clamp the bamboo down and go for it)

#30 2010-06-10 16:30:28

jynx_474

Toffe wrote:

You guys are the best!!
I just can't wait to get more bamboo.
By the way is "hocchiku" like... non rootend shakuhachi with natural bore and no utaguchi inlay? Or what does it mean?

Eddie.. first of all. Thank you so much for all the time you've spent answering my threads. You're a great guy and your setting the best example for how a community is supposed to work!
I've learned so much from reading your posts and looking at your flute pictures.

It would be awsome if it was possible for you to help me ship some bamboo from your bamboo-shop.  Maybe it's possible to ship like 4-foot pieces. If you find the time to look into it and if it doesn't some out as expensive as shipping contraband diamonds it would be awsome! But don't go through too much trouble if it's hard to make it.

By the way... I got ny two books from Monty today smile

"The Japanese Shakuhachi Flute" by Monty and "Kinko Shakuhachi - One Maker's Approach". Hopefully I'll learn something from these books. They seem awsome!
Some good utaguchi instructions i Monty's book.

// Toffe

Actually Toffee

a hocchiku can be either rootend or non rootend. They're less refined  shakuhachi used for zen meditation, and dont tend to have any bore work done to them or an utaguchi inset. The word hocchiku means either religious bamboo or bamboo of the dharma. you can learn more about them by googling Watazumi or asking Perry Yung
aout them.

hope that helps

have a nice day

jynx

#31 2010-06-10 19:48:11

Lorka

You can also ask Alcvin Ramos, who knows more than a thing or two about hocchiku, and more generally, jinashi.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#32 2010-06-11 11:40:10

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

There is a much smaller saw with finer teeth and the blade is supported by a rail at the back--called a Piranha saw. Because of the blade spine you can only cut about 6cm deep, but it is absolutely perfect (and much more controllable) than Dozuki for fine work like the utaguchi. Those little Xacto saws are the same thing in miniature, and they also work well.

When I cut an utaguchi I cut way wide of the mark and use an utaguchi file from Meijiro. Very wide and sharp--cuts fast and flat. Meijiro also has a gauge like the thingie of Ed's but made of aluminum and with two angles: for the utaguchi, and for the top, which slopes somewhat towards the back where the chin rests. Just rest the flat part on the front of the bamboo and you immediately can see if the angle is correct (as per Ed's graphic). I just check as I file, and lstop when it is still a bit thick, for safety in cutting the insert.

The Xacto saw can also be used to cut the sides of a Kinko insert at the correct angle and straight (with a little practice). I find this much easier than using a knife, although you do need to finish the bottom with a knife or sharp miniature chisel.

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2010-06-13 22:58:26)

#33 2010-06-13 22:17:38

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

God bless the Chinese! I just found a copy of a Piranha saw at my local 100 yen shop. The teeth are a bit coarser than on a real Piranha, but for rough work like cutting an utaguchi it will work just dandy (and I can buy 26 of these for the price of one "real" one).

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/kymarto/saw.jpg

Last edited by Toby (2010-06-13 22:57:39)

Board footer