You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-09-07 09:05:47

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Teaching in NYC,Syracuse,Wash.D.C.,Philly, Rochester, and "online"

Hi Everybody,

In honor of the opening of my new DOJO in Syracuse , NY (at HOEN-JI Rinzai Zen Monastery), I would like to re-introduce myself to those who don't know me in the ever-enlarging World Shakuhachi Community.

I was the only "full-time" Shakuhachi teacher in the USA when I returned from studying in Kyoto, Japan in 1975. I presently hold 2 Dai Shihan (Grand Master) Licenses (one from Kurahashi Yodo I, and one from Aoki Reibo- Kinko-Ryu Living National Treasure), and have received 2 GEMEI (professional names) -Nyogetsu and Reishin from my teachers.

Prior to internet days, I would teach "remote" students via "cassette" lessons. I began to teach in this manner over 30 years ago. For the past 20 years, I have, with the help of a student, developed and used a very simple, free system involving a soft-ware called AUDACITY and my <mobile.me> server for teaching distant students. I can use SKYPE as well, but I prefer the Audacity/mobile.me system for a number of reasons. In any case this has allowed me to have approximately 60 remote students in 5 Foreign Countries and 26 states. If you go to this page on my website <http://www.nyogetsu.com/events.html> and scroll to the bottom paragraph, there is an explanation of how to study with me online.

While my studio on Riverside Drive in NYC is my primary teaching location, I go to all of the other locations that I have mentioned above, to teach face-to-face with students.

I look forward to hearing from any of you who would like to work with me <nyogetsu@gmail.com>!
Keep on playing..

Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin
(I also have been selling the world's largest Shakuhachi collection online - owned by someone else- for the past 20 years.)

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#2 2011-02-05 13:41:59

steven weiss

Re: Teaching in NYC,Syracuse,Wash.D.C.,Philly, Rochester, and "online"

hello-
your post mentioned new york city.  are you coming here to teach at times.  i am total beginner to shakuhachi... have purchased a 1.8 D student one, and am at the stage where i can barely make sounds and have to take care not to hyperventilate!  i am a musician otherwise who has studied, played and performed for most of my life though, so i hope that means that i will be blessed by a steep learning curve with the shakuhachi, although i humbly appreciate what an incredibly complex (yet simple) instrument it is.
if you do not teach in new york city, can you recommend someone whom you respect?
blessings,
steven

#3 2011-02-05 13:45:49

steven weiss

Re: Teaching in NYC,Syracuse,Wash.D.C.,Philly, Rochester, and "online"

i apologize- having fully read your post, i now realize that you reside primarily in new york and teach from riverside drive.  i live in brooklyn heights and work in chelsea on w 21st street. 
are you willing to accept a beginning student?  what do you charge?  how do we proceed?
regards, and again apologizing for my hasty reply to your post before i had read it completely!
steven weiss
718-858-1585 (home number)

Board footer