World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-10-17 05:00:27

Caligari
Website

member introductions

Hi all !
Time to join the Shakuhachi community! - I´m a painter and musican (shakuhachi, violin, bass, electonics) from Germany (Hamburg) and started learning  the shakuhachi about two years ago. - My special interest is in playing new music for avantgarde silent films (most german expressionism) of the early 20. century. With the GODOTrio and other chamber ensembles here in Hamburg I love to organize jazz and free improvised concerts too and play the bamboo as my favorite instrument.
best wishes !   Julian

#2 2010-10-17 05:09:46

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: member introductions

Welcome Julian, another bassist/shakuhachi person, seems like a theme around here lately.

We'll be having a live score of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" down here at my festival in Jan. Book your flight to Tasmania.

www.mofo.net.au

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2010-10-17 05:51:51

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Julian

Welcome to the forum!
Are you learning with anybody in Hamburg?

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#4 2010-10-17 14:05:03

Caligari
Website

thank you Kiku!

No, there is no teacher here in Hamburg and it seems no other shakuhachi players...so I´m learning shakuhachi as an autodidact. I have to say : zen music , that often sounds astheticliy related to western new music, was the "trigger" for my affection for the shakuhachi. - I started 2 years ago learning kinko notation and playing some honkyoku for some time but soon switched to the music i play on violin and bass guitar: contemporary music and jazz improv..Since i listened to jazzy stuff like Tairaku and a few other do (and you do in the duo with H. Kaiser) in a wonderfu way i spend a lot of time practising with jazz musicans  and work on chromatic scales to improve my playing and to integrate the shakuhachi in (western) ensemble music and projects like filmusic.

#5 2010-10-17 14:10:11

Caligari
Website

Tairaku, its only a "katzensprung" to your festival and a cup of tea at the chado

#6 2010-10-17 16:20:21

cy23
Website

Caligari wrote:

No, there is no teacher here in Hamburg and it seems no other shakuhachi players...so I´m learning shakuhachi as an autodidact.

I know about some in Bremen and of course in Berlin. If you can effort traveling to Berlin (and are willing to do so) I can recommend you a teacher there by PM.

And welcome to the board of course smile

Last edited by cy23 (2010-10-17 16:20:41)

#7 2010-10-17 19:07:58

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Caligari wrote:

thank you Kiku!

No, there is no teacher here in Hamburg and it seems no other shakuhachi players...so I´m learning shakuhachi as an autodidact.

There is a former student of mine in Hamburg. Perhaps you could meet up. If you are interested, email me.
I live not that many hours away from Hamburg. You are welcome to pass by one day. I live 1 1/2 hour north of the German border.
I have played with a taiko group in Hamburg. Lots of fun! smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#8 2010-10-17 23:14:23

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Hi Julian, Welcome!
I play jazz & free improv with Shakuhachi. Lots of fun!!

#9 2010-10-18 03:27:45

Caligari
Website

thanks all for the welcome!

kiku, thanks for the offer, sounds good...

cy23 - ...at the time i dont need a teacher cause there not enough time left to practice zen music aside from playing jazz and improv.on different instruments...will be in berlin in may for a gig ...best wishes!

#10 2010-10-18 06:00:18

LowBlow
Website

Caligari wrote:

Jim Franklin has a group in Hannover. He teaches there on regular basis once a month. Contact: http://www.bambooheart.com/. You can find him in the teachers section on this forum.

Board footer