Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-11-28 16:35:02

Jivanmukta

Falling asleep to shakuhachi

Tonight my 3 year old daughter wanted me to play shakuhachi as she was falling asleep, and after we had read the obligatory story.
I have asked her many times before but she always declines....
This is the first time, and I am sure not the last time :-)
So I played Kyorei with variations, and she was deeply asleep after 15 mins.

Felt great!

Talk less - do more

#2 2010-11-29 16:32:10

Jivanmukta

Re: Falling asleep to shakuhachi

No comments, well - tonight my wife plugged her hear and then covered them with big fat headphones to keep my sounds out.

Talk less - do more

#3 2010-11-29 18:34:57

mcbmustard

I have a daughter who's 4 months old and Kyorei puts her to sleep everytime. smile
Glad to hear I'm in good company.
It's my favorite secret weapon in fighting baby sleep deprivation.

#4 2010-12-01 20:36:58

Rob Bondy
Website

Music is always part of our bedtime routine.  Both my daughters (11 and 8) prefer singing, but sometimes go for shakuhachi.  I tend to improv in the lowest register.

"Every day is a good day" -Ummon

#5 2010-12-01 23:56:41

Zakarius

madoherty wrote:

My wife has had issues with upper kan and dai kan notes causing unfavorable sensations in her ears, so I generally do not play around her anymore.

I have the same issue... so I play 2.9 or longer flutes. (Problem solved!)

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#6 2010-12-16 17:18:31

dstone
Website

Zakarius wrote:

madoherty wrote:

My wife has had issues with upper kan and dai kan notes causing unfavorable sensations in her ears, so I generally do not play around her anymore.

I have the same issue... so I play 2.9 or longer flutes. (Problem solved!)

Yes, likewise.  A solo, pure, piercing tone from a short and smooth bored flute will grab my attention, but sometimes to the point of aversion.

So I prefer to play or listen to long flutes also, and ideally rough bored flutes like self-made jinashi, sometimes left exceptionally rough.  I guess mathematically this means spectrum that lacks higher partials; I'm not exactly sure.  But also some extra "wind" delivered at the utaguchi, plus that impression of space or volume that a wider bore can give...  this all adds up to sound that I can happily work and play and sleep to!  Yum.  Zzzz...

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2010-12-16 18:58:44

Jivanmukta

madoherty wrote:

If you are having issues with upper kan and dai kan notes it might be relieved by a good ear cleaning.  I have found that wax build-up often causes some less than desired effects when hearing louder sounds and noises.  Then we all can play jiari!

I think for me the solution will be learn to play kan :-)
And it is hapenning these days, after 6 months of playing, finally things are happenning....
3 weeks of holiday around christmas is good, I can stabilize my kan and practice a lot

Talk less - do more

#8 2010-12-27 00:35:10

J Ross
Website

I listen to shakhuhachi recordings quite often as I go to bed.Either that or sometimes ANasazi/Hopi CD's by Coyote Oldman or Scott August.

Jim

Board footer