Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-12-06 16:45:51

Rob Bondy
Website

Shakuhachi and art practice at Zen Mountain Monastery

I will be going into residence at ZMM for the month of July and I want to begin to use my Shakuhachi for my art practice, both now and when I am there.

I am looking for anyone who has trained with the Mountain and Rivers Order that has used Shakuhachi as their art practice to share some of their experiences and how they approached it.

"Every day is a good day" -Ummon

#2 2010-12-06 22:04:03

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Re: Shakuhachi and art practice at Zen Mountain Monastery

Over the years many of my students have studied Shakuhachi with me as their Art Practice at Zen Mountain Monastery.
Perhaps you could get in touch with one of them.?
A few of those who come to mind are:

Jane Mukai Kilthau
Robert Greene
Joe Mieloch
David Gendo Press
Barry Nyosui Weiss
...plus a few New Zealanders !!

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#3 2010-12-07 09:39:20

Kohl
Website

My name is Kohl (dharma name 'Seiho'), I've trained in the MRO for about 10 years. Having done several periods of residence at ZMM, I can say that July is a great month to be there. Shakuhachi has been part of my art practice for about 2.5 years. Although I've trained weekly with a teacher since the beginning, I'm still pretty early in the process.   If my experience can help, please feel free to email me any questions.
On an unrelated note, I'll be up at ZMM in May to help out with this retreat: http://mro.org/zmm/retreats/detail/2011/ART1151.php Maybe I'll see you there.

"I begin to feel the depths of a bamboo path..."
                              Meng Hao-Jan (689-740)

#4 2010-12-07 15:39:39

Rob Bondy
Website

Kohl wrote:

My name is Kohl (dharma name 'Seiho'), I've trained in the MRO for about 10 years. Having done several periods of residence at ZMM, I can say that July is a great month to be there. Shakuhachi has been part of my art practice for about 2.5 years. Although I've trained weekly with a teacher since the beginning, I'm still pretty early in the process.   If my experience can help, please feel free to email me any questions.
On an unrelated note, I'll be up at ZMM in May to help out with this retreat: http://mro.org/zmm/retreats/detail/2011/ART1151.php Maybe I'll see you there.

Thanks so much.  I will definitely be sending you an email with more specific questions.  I am looking forward to July, although it won't be an arts month like usual.  There is going to be a series of special retreats based around some more scholarly, academic stuff, but I don't know the specifics.  I won't be able to make the shakuhachi retreat, but it looks like a lot of fun.

EDIT:  Kohl,  I can't seem to find your email on the forum or your blog.  Could you email me (unless you meant for me just to ask in this thread).

Thanks again.

R

Last edited by Rob Bondy (2010-12-07 15:49:16)

#5 2010-12-07 22:23:15

edosan
Edomologist

Rob Bondy wrote:

EDIT:  Kohl,  I can't seem to find your email on the forum or your blog.  Could you email me (unless you meant for me just to ask in this thread).

You can send an email to this link right here:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/misc.php?email=1180

...and he'll get it and reply to you.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2010-12-07 23:05:01

Rob Bondy
Website

edosan wrote:

Rob Bondy wrote:

Thank you.

#7 2010-12-07 23:43:03

Kohl
Website

edosan wrote:

Thanks for setting up the link Ed.

"I begin to feel the depths of a bamboo path..."
                              Meng Hao-Jan (689-740)

Board footer