Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-12-07 15:18:27

Wyatt

New shakuhachi in Oklahoma

Was listening to some meditation music..."That's a very cool sound.  Wonder what's making it?"  "Oh, it's a shakuhachi!! Gotta add one of those to my whistle collection!"  "Uh - oh, those buggers are expensive..... wait, here's one made out of genuine PVC for only twelve bucks; that's in my price range."

So, now I have a new whistle to play with.  I can make it toot six times out of ten tries, fumble through a two octave scale, but so far, "Mary Had a Little Lamb" has me beat.  I look forward to enjoying this BBQ.

#2 2010-12-09 02:16:29

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: New shakuhachi in Oklahoma

Welcome to the forum, Wyatt.
Enjoy the process of learning shakuhachi!!!
Hope you can get some tips out of the BBQ.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2010-12-15 03:51:30

Michael st John Hartley

Re: New shakuhachi in Oklahoma

Very funny, I got to Prague shaku. festival totally by accident, but me going meant my wife had to cancel a shamanic soul retrieval.  I phoned the shaman, she had had a shakuhachi 'lying around' somewhere for 10 years or so; I bought it a few weeks later and was happy to pass MY plastic flute on to a friend -who practices HOURS  everyday! (me about 20 minutes) I have since found, in my collections of music instruments for musical summer camps, 2 more shakuhachi!  All are kind of beginner level, and I am enjoying my 'begin.'

ps. Hi Kiku if you read this!

Board footer