Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-22 15:36:18

Ambi

Curious Thoughts

Hi Folks, thanks for a great forum, I've already learnt a great deal here, and this site finally made my mind up to splash out on a (relatively) cheap black rootend 2.4 .... wait for it ... a  whole month ago!

Since then I've had  great fun, cannot get anything like the marvelous traditional sound I fell in Love with 10 years ago, but I can get a "blues" type tune going, over a couple of octaves; although Ro is still very weak. Still it took 2 days to get a tone, so not  too bad - I practice  mainly the Leaf Blowing, Perry (I think it was ) recommended. I'll have to invest in some sort of written instruction soon.

My musical background is primarily (fretless) electric bass, with a a bit of guitar and  I love playing dirty, bendy harmonica.
Philosophically I like alot of the Zen stories (Zen Flesh, Zen Bones anyone?), But Tao seems to fit me better. I Love Tai Chi and If there is  one secret to my success (sic!) it's years of  Chi Kung breathing, (well that and annoying the hell out of the the Pub by practising overblowing bottles for harmonics.)

Best wishes to all. This is my first public forum, so please be gentle with me; I apologise in advance if  my humour is ever mistaken for rudeness I have no wish to offend, remember, Sarcasm can be good in the UK! I hope only to amuse with with my rambling, and possibly start some interesting thoughts going.
.... Like I was playing in my (small) bathroom today, tried a deep "horse" stance and then moving side to side/Up and Down, over the bath, while (trying) to blow a Ro. It was like probing the resonance  pattern of  that  room for an A. Interesting?

Cheers Guys, both to the "Sensai" for there wise input and especially the other "newbies" with whom I Travel.

Ambi

My babbling reflects my excitement, no one I know has Heard off Shakuhachi!

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#2 2006-06-22 17:45:52

dstone
Website

Re: Curious Thoughts

Ambi wrote:

I Love Tai Chi and If there is  one secret to my success (sic!) it's years of  Chi Kung breathing

Welcome, Ambi. 

Congratuations on your first flute.  My first was also a 2.4.  You never forget your first!

While I'm a relative beginner myself, I also have a chi kung background (less in practice now, but you never forget...) and I agree that it (or probably any breathing discipline that requires strong awareness and training of breath) is bound to be helpful.  Heck, a strong heavy flute itself could probably be used in iron shirt training...  If Watazumi was Chinese, I'm sure he would have tried...  :-)

Cheers and happy blowing!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

Board footer