World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#176 2011-02-01 13:18:34

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Do materials used affect sound?

Toby wrote:

I'm surprised that the jiari flute would be louder with a wet bore. That might be explainable, though, if the moisture coated any sharp edges, rounding them, since that would reduce turbulence that can limit maximum dynamics. The effect of moisture in an unsealed jinashi is easier to explain, as the water would fill the micropores that can cause major acoustic losses at the walls.

This would support my feeling that there is a gradual difference in acoustic resonance from softer to harder materials. There would be virtually imperceptual differences between hard woods or between metals.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#177 2011-02-01 14:10:57

Colyn Petersen
Website

Karmajampa wrote:

This would support my feeling that there is a gradual difference in acoustic resonance from softer to harder materials. There would be virtually imperceptual differences between hard woods or between metals.

Kel.

This has been my observation as well, however flawed by the human experience it may be. IF there was going to be a perceivable difference at all, would it not be with softer materials such as those used for tonewoods on stringed instrument faces such as spruce and cedar etc...? I too sense that gradual difference from hard to soft related to resonance. Perhaps it is just what I am feeling with my hands, but there seems to be a difference nonetheless.

Though images may appear on the surface of a mirror with clarity, they are neither in the mirror, nor sticking to its surface.

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

#178 2011-02-01 17:20:50

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Just what do you mean when you use the word "resonance"? Are you talking about significant radiation of sound from the body of the instrument? Because I can assure you that a round tube the thickness of a flute simply cannot vibrate like a violin body. It is important to realize that the sir column is exerting not distortional pressures on a certain part of a thin flat plate. It is exerting equal pressure around the inside: basically trying to blow the tube up like a balloon. How much internal pressure do you think it takes to expand the bore of a narrow diameter wooden tube with thick walls of whatever wood?  Do you really think the acoustic wave has such power? Just FYI, the output power of a shakuhachi is approximately ONE milliwatt.

Don't be fooled by the vibrations you feel when you tap the tube with your finger: those are elliptical distortional modes of vibration which are never seen in playing.

Last edited by Toby (2011-02-01 17:27:34)

#179 2011-02-01 17:41:22

oceanica

Problems with Coltman's paper.
1.  Humans were playing the flutes, how can exact consistency be verified, since it can not, and in your own words 2 variables render the experiment meaningless, the fact that subjects could not identify the flute they liked the best the second time around has no value.  Also, there is the question of listener fatigue and expectation -- that placebo like effect you use when you are trying to discredit others. 
Vibrations from sound are transmitted through the jaw to the inner and middle ear.  This should not be in dispute, though no studies have been done relating specifically to shakuhachi.  If you insist, I will do some digging on this and provide you with relevant information, though it is widely accepted in the medical community.
Benade's writings on this subject appear to be mostly conjecture.  I got my numbers the same place he got his, I pulled them out of my a, er a, the air.  He equivocates " if the walls are thick enough not to vibrate, and they are smooth and non-porous...switching materials will make damping ( differences ) less than 2%".
The trombone bell study -- I thought that dealt with listeners, not players, in any case, the materials are very similar, and, mass is identical, and still there was a difference, though the subjects could not perceive same, it does not mean that materials do not affect sound, just that the differences were not perceived in that instance. 
The wine experiment had not control group, the subjects were not wine experts, it was not a double blind study, et.c etc.....still this effect is well documented by hundreds of studies, so accepted.
You point out earlier in this thread that conductivity of heat of various materials may also make a difference in sound.  So now we have at least two ( porosity/smoothness/machining qualities and conductivity ) where you have said that materials make a difference...there is no need to artificially distinguish between " primary and secondary effects of materials" since, there was no such distinction made in my initial statement. 
I never said that the paper that I cited was anything other than a paper.
Backus uses metal vs plastic in his experiment, we are talking about wood, bamboo and the like, also he uses a steady state tone which, while necessary for his work, does not reflect real world application, when one is actually playing, there is no steady state tone.  Also, can you tell me what frequency he used for his measurements?  I must have missed it.  Over approximately 4khz the spectra for woodwinds changes dramatically, and small vibrations could have much larger effect.  The limit of hearing is about 20khz -- a lot of room there for overtones to be changed thus affecting sound. 
2 papers cited does not a conclusion make, especially since both have their apparent flaws.
I guess I was not done after all. (;o)....

#180 2011-02-01 18:46:37

Musgo da Pedra
Website

In a simple answer to the main question:

Yes, materials do affect the sound.

How and how much can be discussed yet...

Omnia mea mecum porto

#181 2011-02-01 19:31:46

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

question,
what about flute headjoints. Gold vs silver. Very obvious that gold Hj (or Gold riser) has a different sound from Silver. In my ears the difference is big.

#182 2011-02-01 19:37:17

Moran from Planet X
Website

geni wrote:

... Very obvious that gold Hj (or Gold riser) has a different sound from Silver. In my ears the difference is big.

Why, O, why would you believe your lyin' ears?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#183 2011-02-01 19:45:12

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

geni wrote:

question,
what about flute headjoints. Gold vs silver. Very obvious that gold Hj (or Gold riser) has a different sound from Silver. In my ears the difference is big.

And you know for certain that the dimensions are EXACTLY the same? In my ears my two silver headjoints have a very big difference in sound, too.

#184 2011-02-01 20:12:38

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

oceanica wrote:

Problems with Coltman's paper.
1.  Humans were playing the flutes, how can exact consistency be verified, since it can not, and in your own words 2 variables render the experiment meaningless, the fact that subjects could not identify the flute they liked the best the second time around has no value.  Also, there is the question of listener fatigue and expectation -- that placebo like effect you use when you are trying to discredit others. 
Vibrations from sound are transmitted through the jaw to the inner and middle ear.  This should not be in dispute, though no studies have been done relating specifically to shakuhachi.  If you insist, I will do some digging on this and provide you with relevant information, though it is widely accepted in the medical community.
Benade's writings on this subject appear to be mostly conjecture.  I got my numbers the same place he got his, I pulled them out of my a, er a, the air.  He equivocates " if the walls are thick enough not to vibrate, and they are smooth and non-porous...switching materials will make damping ( differences ) less than 2%".
The trombone bell study -- I thought that dealt with listeners, not players, in any case, the materials are very similar, and, mass is identical, and still there was a difference, though the subjects could not perceive same, it does not mean that materials do not affect sound, just that the differences were not perceived in that instance. 
The wine experiment had not control group, the subjects were not wine experts, it was not a double blind study, et.c etc.....still this effect is well documented by hundreds of studies, so accepted.
You point out earlier in this thread that conductivity of heat of various materials may also make a difference in sound.  So now we have at least two ( porosity/smoothness/machining qualities and conductivity ) where you have said that materials make a difference...there is no need to artificially distinguish between " primary and secondary effects of materials" since, there was no such distinction made in my initial statement. 
I never said that the paper that I cited was anything other than a paper.
Backus uses metal vs plastic in his experiment, we are talking about wood, bamboo and the like, also he uses a steady state tone which, while necessary for his work, does not reflect real world application, when one is actually playing, there is no steady state tone.  Also, can you tell me what frequency he used for his measurements?  I must have missed it.  Over approximately 4khz the spectra for woodwinds changes dramatically, and small vibrations could have much larger effect.  The limit of hearing is about 20khz -- a lot of room there for overtones to be changed thus affecting sound. 
2 papers cited does not a conclusion make, especially since both have their apparent flaws.
I guess I was not done after all. (;o)....

Absolute rubbish, I cannot be polite, nor will I take a lot of time trying to explain to you why you are wrong. The Coltman experiment simply shows that people cannot tell the difference between identically proportioned flutes in different materials. The methodology is sound, the paper is a classic in the field, widely quoted and accepted. You are wildly throwing around issues like listener fatigue and the placebo effect without any substantiation or confirmation that such might even apply to the Coltman experiment. Get real! People listen to music for hours, and they are going to get listener fatigue from 36 notes or small musical sequences?  And how does the placebo effect apply when there is no placebo? C'mon man. I am all for rational discussion, but this is nothing of the sort. If you had any clue at all about scientific methodology, you would know about statistical significances. Coltman was very careful to make his experiment conform to accepted statistical standards, as used throughout science.

Please do your digging and quote me the relevant medical papers on sound vibration through the jaw. I have done a lot of digging myself into that issue and I know something about it, as related to cochlear implants. Find out how tight the coupling has to be between the transmitter and the bone, and how placement affects transmission and then come back here and we can discuss this.

There is no artificial distinction between primary and secondary effects of materials. You can take a metal tube and if you were to stamp it with the microscopic surface patterns if the wood it would sound the same. If you take two flutes of completely different materials and lacquer the bore of both they will sound the same, regardless of the wall material. We are talking purely about the effects of the structural properties of the wall material and how they relate to the final sound INDEPENDENT OF DIMENSIONAL AND SMOOTHNESS PARAMETERS. If you want to start a discussion of how different materials affect dimension and smoothness start a new thread.

There is indeed a steady state tone in playing, which is all the time between the attack when you start blowing and the moment you stop blowing. Spectrum measurements cover ALL radiated frequencies, that is why they are called "spectrum" measurements.

In terms of the trombone bells: mass was NOT AT ALL the same, and in any case it is well known that in cases where it might matter, thickness is a much more significant factor in determining resonance than the material itself (in metals at least). Interesting how willing you are to overlook the fact that while the the spectra of the sound between the bells was significantly different--measurably different--it just doesn't seem to be important in this case. We just reject the experimental results that don't fit our model. Very good.

You are not at all in Benade's class, nor did he pull the numbers out of the air as you would like to believe.

Heat conductivity is a minor matter, not affecting the issue to any significant degree. In the words of Fletcher and Rossing in "The Physics of Musical Instruments":

"The tube walls influence the behavior of the vibrations of the air column because of the viscous and thermal losses across the boundary layer. These losses have quite significant effect on the Q-factors of the pipe resonances, and thus on the behavior of the instrument, and vary somewhat in magnitude depending on the smoothness of the surface. Wall materials all have thermal capacity so much greater than air, however, that there is virtually no difference between them on this score."

Can you explain percisely what you mean by this statement so that I can give you a precise answer that you cannot misinterpret:

"Over approximately 4khz the spectra for woodwinds changes dramatically, and small vibrations could have much larger effect."

I suggest that you google "cognitive dissonance" and we can discuss then why you are completely unwilling to accept 150 years of quite good science because it doesn't fit your impressions. Do you truly think that you are smarter, more perceptive or more qualified in these matters than men who have dedicated their lives to studying these questions? Couldn't it just possibly be that they are right and you are....wrong....?

Last edited by Toby (2011-02-01 20:23:33)

#185 2011-02-01 20:20:01

Colyn Petersen
Website

Toby wrote:

Just what do you mean when you use the word "resonance"? Are you talking about significant radiation of sound from the body of the instrument? Because I can assure you that a round tube the thickness of a flute simply cannot vibrate like a violin body. It is important to realize that the sir column is exerting not distortional pressures on a certain part of a thin flat plate. It is exerting equal pressure around the inside: basically trying to blow the tube up like a balloon. How much internal pressure do you think it takes to expand the bore of a narrow diameter wooden tube with thick walls of whatever wood?  Do you really think the acoustic wave has such power? Just FYI, the output power of a shakuhachi is approximately ONE milliwatt.

Don't be fooled by the vibrations you feel when you tap the tube with your finger: those are elliptical distortional modes of vibration which are never seen in playing.

Essentially I am talking about the vibration I notice from the holes of the flute and the overall feeling that I get in general. Not just when I tap the holes. I realize that the flute is in a different category from a stringed instrument and does not resonate like a violin body. That was never in question in my mind. My question was that if one were to be able to observe ANY differences related to materials, would it not most likely be from materials that are known for their resonating qualities? I consider my comments subjective, and this is why I had recommended to move the conversation into another area. Especially since it has already been acknowledged that there is absolutely nothing that could be done to sway scientific consensus to the contrary. It is what I feel and observe. Whatever seemingly ineffable observations I am trying to describe here seem to be related to the fact that I think a bass NAF out of hardwood is half the flute of the same in a softwood. Regardless of sound to the audience, to the player, the experience is much more rich, and that counts.

To the contrary also, I do not necessarily have a total softwood bias here. A super high key flute (let's say F#, 2 octaves above middle C) in a soft wood can be rather harsh and even obnoxiously bright if treated the same way as a hardwood. I make flutes in over 30 keys spanning 3 octaves. From 12" long (G , 2 octaves above middle C) to 53" (C below middle C). I see a pattern with density here. If science does not have the means to detect what I am talking about, I'm guessing it is just a matter of time until it does. Until then, I guess I'm just deluded.

Though images may appear on the surface of a mirror with clarity, they are neither in the mirror, nor sticking to its surface.

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

#186 2011-02-01 20:22:09

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

you are right of course ;-) I find my self in both sides. When i play its all about the feeling..but in the workshop all about the science. I use a GUO flute (grenadite material, kind of like plastic) & that one sounds like wood flute. I use a D Williams wood HJ. I worked as HJ tester for a bit. Very interesting conclusions in the end ;-)
expression A friend of mine uses the Matit flute (carbon-fiber) & I am planing will to try that with my HJ. I did try the shakulute with it once & sounded very close to shakuhachi tonal expression. It sounds different with other flute bodies.

#187 2011-02-01 20:26:24

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

geni wrote:

you are right of course ;-) I find my self in both sides. When i play its all about the feeling..but in the workshop all about the science. I use a GUO flute (grenadite material, kind of like plastic) & that one sounds like wood flute. I use a D Williams wood HJ. I worked as HJ tester for a bit. Very interesting conclusions in the end ;-)
expression A friend of mine uses the Matit flute (carbon-fiber) & I am planing will to try that with my HJ. I did try the shakulute with it once & sounded very close to shakuhachi tonal expression. It sounds different with other flute bodies.

I played a Matit and didn't like it much sound-wise, although the action seemed nice. At the same time in the shop there was a concert recitalist in town to give master classes. He tried it too, and then said, "Do people actually play these things?"

#188 2011-02-01 20:32:03

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Colyn Petersen wrote:

Toby wrote:

Essentially I am talking about the vibration I notice from the holes of the flute and the overall feeling that I get in general. Not just when I tap the holes. I realize that the flute is in a different category from a stringed instrument and does not resonate like a violin body. That was never in question in my mind. My question was that if one were to be able to observe ANY differences related to materials, would it not most likely be from materials that are known for their resonating qualities? I consider my comments subjective, and this is why I had recommended to move the conversation into another area. Especially since it has already been acknowledged that there is absolutely nothing that could be done to sway scientific consensus to the contrary. It is what I feel and observe. Whatever seemingly ineffable observations I am trying to describe here seem to be related to the fact that I think a bass NAF out of hardwood is half the flute of the same in a softwood. Regardless of sound to the audience, to the player, the experience is much more rich, and that counts.

To the contrary also, I do not necessarily have a total softwood bias here. A super high key flute (let's say F#, 2 octaves above middle C) in a soft wood can be rather harsh and even obnoxiously bright if treated the same way as a hardwood. I make flutes in over 30 keys spanning 3 octaves. From 12" long (G , 2 octaves above middle C) to 53" (C below middle C). I see a pattern with density here. If science does not have the means to detect what I am talking about, I'm guessing it is just a matter of time until it does. Until then, I guess I'm just deluded.

The vibration from the holes is from the air column, and the overall feeling you get is a feeling, a synthetic impression based on countless factors. I appreciate your skill and experience, but it is really not possible to comment on why a high-key softwood flute would be bright without a thorough analysis of its dimensions and other relevant factors. Science is the same institution which enabled us to understand material properties enough to send men to the moon and create aircraft that can fly at multiple mach speeds safely and consistently. If anyone is deluded between science and you, I would politely suggest that it might be you.

Check out the optical illusions. If you have two lines, one capped with inward facing arrows and the other with outward facing arrows, even the most accomplished painter can't help but feel that the actual lines are of different lengths. Who do you think is deluded in this case, the artist or the ruler?

Last edited by Toby (2011-02-01 20:37:31)

#189 2011-02-01 20:35:26

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

The HJ is not well cut. Hopefully will sound better with another one. All about the cut!!! I played an Albert Couper last week!!! I was SINGING! It felt like i was playing with a bow. All about the Cut, dimensions .
And practice!! My conclusions of trying so many HJ was...The player is what matters. if i put a 1000 extra hours of focuses practice will sound much much better. We are the instrument!!

#190 2011-02-01 20:41:36

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

geni wrote:

The HJ is not well cut. Hopefully will sound better with another one. All about the cut!!! I played an Albert Couper last week!!! I was SINGING! It felt like i was playing with a bow. All about the Cut, dimensions .
And practice!! My conclusions of trying so many HJ was...The player is what matters. if i put a 1000 extra hours of focuses practice will sound much much better. We are the instrument!!

I have an Almeida flute with a classic Boston cut, and a Powell with a Cooper headjoint made when Cooper and Powell had an agreement. The difference is vast. And yes, the Cooper is amazing. Both have the same tenon diameter and both are made of the same silver.

I also have two kick-around Yamaha student flutes, which are exactly the same except for the fact that the 31 has the head in silver, the 21 in nickel. There is absolutely NO perceptible difference between the silver and nickel head on either body. But as soon as I put the Almeida or Powell head on either body, everything is different.

If you haven't read the study on 7 identical flutes in different materials--I posted the link earlier. The conclusion was that there was no significant difference in the final sound due to the material but a HUGE difference due to the player, and that difference was consistent across all the flutes in the same way.

Last edited by Toby (2011-02-01 20:44:03)

#191 2011-02-01 21:33:05

Colyn Petersen
Website

Toby wrote:

Colyn Petersen wrote:

Toby wrote:

The vibration from the holes is from the air column, and the overall feeling you get is a feeling, a synthetic impression based on countless factors. I appreciate your skill and experience, but it is really not possible to comment on why a high-key softwood flute would be bright without a thorough analysis of its dimensions and other relevant factors. Science is the same institution which enabled us to understand material properties enough to send men to the moon and create aircraft that can fly at multiple mach speeds safely and consistently. If anyone is deluded between science and you, I would politely suggest that it might be you.

Check out the optical illusions. If you have two lines, one capped with inward facing arrows and the other with outward facing arrows, even the most accomplished painter can't help but feel that the actual lines are of different lengths. Who do you think is deluded in this case, the artist or the ruler?

I can also barely count on my two hands the number of times in my life that science has made an abrupt u-turn. Forgive me for not lending my utmost confidence in the process. It is a great method, but it is not foolproof. I made no claims, just observations. Perhaps though I might have some sort of clue considering I have made hundreds of softwood and hardwood high key flutes with the same dimensions, the only thing essentially different being the wood. One or two, whatever, but hundreds? I quite clearly stated in the last post that I could be deluded, and that my comments were based from a clearly subjective and observational standpoint. At least I am willing to admit the possibility of not having all of the answers.

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

#192 2011-02-01 23:03:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Toby wrote:

I'm surprised that the jiari flute would be louder with a wet bore. That might be explainable, though, if the moisture coated any sharp edges, rounding them, since that would reduce turbulence that can limit maximum dynamics. The effect of moisture in an unsealed jinashi is easier to explain, as the water would fill the micropores that can cause major acoustic losses at the walls.

Yes more dramatic with jinashi.

The only time I put water in the bore of a jiari is when I suspect it's leaking (which it is) so of course it sounds better after the water treatment.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#193 2011-02-02 01:17:23

Moran from Planet X
Website

Toby wrote:

Absolute rubbish, I cannot be polite, nor will I take a lot of time trying to explain to you why you are wrong ...

What? Only eleven paragraphs?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#194 2011-02-02 01:26:56

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Obviously not you. I try to address all points under discussion, for better or worse...

#195 2011-02-02 01:55:42

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Colyn Petersen wrote:

Toby wrote:

Colyn Petersen wrote:

I can also barely count on my two hands the number of times in my life that science has made an abrupt u-turn. Forgive me for not lending my utmost confidence in the process. It is a great method, but it is not foolproof. I made no claims, just observations. Perhaps though I might have some sort of clue considering I have made hundreds of softwood and hardwood high key flutes with the same dimensions, the only thing essentially different being the wood. One or two, whatever, but hundreds? I quite clearly stated in the last post that I could be deluded, and that my comments were based from a clearly subjective and observational standpoint. At least I am willing to admit the possibility of not having all of the answers.

Pretty depressing isn't it? Takes all the romance out of it wink

The answers work pretty well in other situations where science is applied. I have no real reason to believe that the paradigm will suddenly fail when it comes to shakuhachi. The shakuhachi and its sound are physical phenomena and therefore follow physical laws. If there are effects for which scientific analysis has not found the causes, then science needs to address those, but only after all known causes are controlled for, and in your case even having made hundreds of flutes doesn't cut it if you cannot confirm your impressions with objective numbers.

Note added: Colyn, when you talk about sealing the bore, are we talking about a thick, smooth and even coat of urushi, like in a jiari, or is it more like a thin coat that leaves the surface characteristics of the wood somewhat exposed? If the latter, it could well explain the consistent differences you experience. I have had wooden flutes in cocuswood, grenadilla and English boxwood, and the latter had a much different inner surface than the hardwoods.

Last edited by Toby (2011-02-02 09:34:50)

#196 2011-02-02 03:31:18

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Be forewarned.

I received the following Skype message today from a very heavy hitter on the BBQ, someone who has carte blanche:

"If I hear one more study I'm told to read I think I'll put up some porn! Like (edit:"famous player's") ass! You've got more patience than I do with this stuff."

#197 2011-02-02 04:16:32

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

So does this mean that I should shut up now and let everyone go back to blissful ignorance? Looks like shakuhachi players just ain't got the same grit as saxophonists. We've had similar threads run to many hundreds of posts, with suggestions to read whole books and with multiple correspondences with famous acoustic scientists.

But I will give you one thing, you're a lot better than flute players, where the word "airy" applies to more than their sound wink

#198 2011-02-02 04:34:08

Ambi

Do the materials used to produce a resonant tube affect the sound of said resonant tube?
No.
Do the materials used to produce shakuhachi affect the sound of said shakuhachi?
Yes.

Toby I'd like to thank you for your patience, but I hope you are continuing becasue you enjoy the process of argument (lets face it, it's not really debate).
Anyone else bored with it, just stop reading the thread.
(depending on just whose ass we get pictures off...)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#199 2011-02-02 04:38:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Toby wrote:

So does this mean that I should shut up now and let everyone go back to blissful ignorance? Looks like shakuhachi players just ain't got the same grit as saxophonists. We've had similar threads run to many hundreds of posts, with suggestions to read whole books and with multiple correspondences with famous acoustic scientists.

OK now that you bring it up, you probably know who Steve Lacy is. He told me he's played a lot of saxophones and the best sounding ones were the original Adolph Sax ones. He also said his old Selmer sounded better than the new one.

Explain.

Why do the Adolf Sax ones sound better?

#200 2011-02-02 04:46:10

Musgo da Pedra
Website

One thing that always make me curious is to play a shakuhachi made under ALL these knowledge... they should sound incredible. Anyway I know one of the top makers in Japan today that do not use some of them, like rounding edges (in jiari) inside the holes and they flutes sound really loud, in tune and easy to play...

Omnia mea mecum porto

Board footer