Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-22 18:34:13

Peter Why

Removing a jammed pull-through

Hi,

I use a pull through with a fairly thick piece of cotton cloth on my own non-tapering shakuhachi (about 2.5 cm diameter).  Stupidly, I used it in a friend's 2.9 jinaishi shakuhachi, which is wide bore at the mouth end (over 3cm diameter) and perhaps 2 cm at the other end.  I forgot about the internal taper, which must be down to perhaps 1.5 cm ...  whe the pull-through got a bit tight, I tugged, and the string snapped.

We now have a plug of cloth  firmly embedded near the bottom of the instrument.  I've tried squeezing it out with a length of narrow bore garden bamboo and a 48 inch sash clamp; it's moved perhaps four inches, but is still firmly jammed and, presumably because the bamboo's not varnished, jerks and creaks worryingly as it moves.  So I stopped doing that.

Any suggestions?  ... other than to tell me what an idiot I am?

I would be very grateful for advice.

Peter

#2 2006-06-22 21:45:27

Toffe

Re: Removing a jammed pull-through

Perhaps you could try to pull it out with some sharp pliers. Then you can pull the fibres loose in the cloth and remove it bit by bit... It'll take a while but it's probably worth it.
You could work it first with a drillbit. Use a thin drill and carefully drill through the cloth, at least as much as you need to break it up an make it a bit rugged. Then do the plier trick by pulling it out bit by bit.

If it is too far in for the drill there is drill extenions you can buy.. not expensive at all. That'll allow you to mount a drillbit at the end of a 15 cm thin rod. And if you can't get the pliers down to it... try too make a sharp hook at the end of a stick. Maybe a thin nail through a bamboo stick. With that you can rip it up after drilling it and pull loose fibres... When it's small enough it'll come out.

Good luck... I really hope you manage to solve it.

// Christoffer

Last edited by Toffe (2006-06-22 21:47:37)

#3 2006-06-22 23:37:15

evan kubota

You can't just force it out by shoving a 1 cm metal rod into the root end? I got a piece of paper towel stuck in a jinashi at one point. This was pretty challenging because trying to push it out only created a hole in the center. It was still crammed against the sides of the bamboo. I eventually got it out with a lot of angled scraping against the bore wall.

#4 2006-06-23 01:30:08

Derek Van Choice
Website

Hi, Peter...

You have probably solved it by now, but I had that happen once, as well, when the string knot let go at the choke point.  I just used a small screw on the end of a long stick (taped or threaded or something... I forget), and VERY CAREFULLY inserted it into the bore, from the utaguchi end, and screwed it a few revolutions into the CENTER of the cloth and begin applying light pull pressure.  Doesn't take much turning until the cloth begins to reduce in diameter and pulls out seamlessly.  The cloth will completely cover the screw (about 1/2" long), and protect the bore from any scratches on exit.

Worked for me, anyway.

smile

Last edited by Derek Van Choice (2006-06-23 01:31:30)

#5 2006-06-23 02:07:07

Peter Why

This is great; thank you all.  I'll have a try and report back (I don't have access to the flute until next Tuesday, but I'll get my tools prepared).

I was wondering whether talc might be a better lubricant than, say, walnut oil, as the oil might make the cloth expand when it's absorbed.

Peter

Board footer